CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-17-2005, 07:34 AM   #1
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Guess this should be in the injury thread?

Do you all know the best way to get rid of ring worm? I mop my workout mats regularly with a pretty strong disinfecting solution, and change the mop heads on occasion (but probably not enough). Any old secrets out there? I'm tempted to bleach the mats, but fairly certain the bleach would eat them.

Regarding the body.. I know of several salves and sprays, but what about prevention? I knew this fellow in high school who always rubbed this powder on his arms and legs before wrestling class, and never seemed to catch it when many others did. Ever heard of something like that?

Thanks,
Brad
Old 08-17-2005, 10:03 AM   #2
William Hunter

Profile:
Brad, this may not be what you're looking for but the only thing I could come up with as far as a natural fungicide was allicin, the natural ingredient in raw garlic (ancient Chinese and Egyptian remedy). I know you have some experience with this particular dance partner so it may be a moot point. Everything else pointed to the imidazole topicals, which I don't believe are preventative.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:35 AM   #3
Grady McDonald

Profile:
Body...i use bleach and scrub the ring till it bleeds, then cover it. Went away in about 5-6days. This was after all the other bs I put on it (lamisil, vagisil, antifungal whatever). I kept rollin' but used duct/riggers tape to cover it.
There is a foam that I've seen guys put on right before class. It looks like shaving cream, rubs on easy, not greasy. One guy said he used it all through college (wrestling team) never got the worm. You'd have to google it, the name escapes me.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:09 PM   #4
David Besachio

Profile:
Along the more conventional medical lines there are topical lotions like nizoral but I've had results that are neither here nor there. Another possibility I've had more success with is a single oral dose of an antifungal that you take and then go work up a sweat. The drug is secreted in the sweat so you shouldn't shower for several hours after taking the tab. I believe there are other regimens that that require several days of pills. Most physicians start with topicals. Most oral regimens require lab tests first. Your physician can give you more info on the specifics.

It sounds like you're doing the most important thing by keeping your mats clean. If you've got pets you may want to get them checked out as a possible source of the fungus.