CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 05-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #201
Charles Applin

Profile:
Re: What Does Your Ink Mean?

Since I know Japanese (coincidentally, started learning that when I started CrossFit over three years ago), thought I check out the Kanji tats on the thread. Of the three posted on here, only one had a minor mistake (the Bushi / Samurai tattoo) and even that was just missing a stroke.

Word of warning people, it's probably best not to get Kanji tattoos. Many are sort of like our prefixes in english that only have meanings if used with something else. Imagine seeing a guy with TELE and PEDI tattooed across his legs and he says it's because he likes to run far.

If you do get one, make sure you know what it means and what it looks like cause odds are the tattoo artist will not. Some poor Marine on base had two mistakes. His "Strength" kanji 強 was upside down, but also had the Japanese word for "Strong" 強い which is two characters squished into one character. Yeah, he didn't want me to take a picture after I explained it to him.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:16 PM   #202
Jordan Riley McClintock

Profile:

I doubt I will get it for a while, as I only recently got my first one, but I had an idea for what I would like for my next tattoo.
I am thinking about getting ""Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.", down the left side of my torso, on my ribs!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #203
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

My first tattoo was "love" in Korean. It's plain and simple and, as tattoos go, really understated.
My second was a seriously lame butterfly on my upper ankle. Hell with it. I was in Ft. Lauderdale and I was all of 22 or so years old. Meh.
Third was...pretty big. It's not anything super artsy or anything (WFS), it's just some script. It's my brother's handwriting and translation, so I know it's accurate but yeh...on the ribs it wasn't too fun. You can see where some of the lines got to be a little wiggly because my midsection started seizing. Incidentally, if that happens to you, get up and walk around and take a deep breath or nine. The endorphins kick in and it's a buzzy ride after that.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #204
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

"George" on my right wrist. "Lincoln" on my left wrist. My father's first and middle name. He passed away of heart disease when I was 9 years old. It is in memory of him, obviously, but also to constantly remind myself why I am living a healthy lifestyle and doing my best to make myself as strong and fast as I possibly can.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #205
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Riley McClintock View Post
I doubt I will get it for a while, as I only recently got my first one, but I had an idea for what I would like for my next tattoo.
I am thinking about getting ""Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.", down the left side of my torso, on my ribs!
I get that it's a quote from Kennedy, but I think it reads better with "peaceful resolution" instead.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:52 AM   #206
Jordan Riley McClintock

Profile:

Sorry, it is actually peaceful protest!
Old 06-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #207
Emily Seabridge

Profile:

I have too many to count, but let me try:

Enormous weird chest piece: an hourglass with batwings and the wings have eyeballs and there are roses and the banner says "live the life you love"

Right arm: Forearm is a black and white Saint Catherine (patron saint of librarians, but I'm not religious) on the outside, and a parody of this (wfs http://tinyurl.com/28dppno) with a dude instead of a lady on the inside. Outside upper arm is a stupid one involving brass knuckles and a straight razor because I was one tough 19 year old. Also a Minor Threat black sheep with a bow in her hair. Inside upper arm is a sick panther which I still love very much.

Left arm: Outside forearm is a moth with a broken bottle and a banner that says "I saved latin, what did you ever do?" (from Rushmore, the greatest story ever told). Inside is a stack of books with a skull on top (librarian, duh). In my ditch I have a square knot and on my elbow a ship's steering wheel. Outside upper arm is heart and dagger and roses and the banner says "they're not the ones who have to live with the pain" which is from an American Nightmare song (Boston hardcore band). Inside is a ship sailing out of a storm, a reminder to look on the bright side. Also, the Black Flag bars that say Rise Above.

My back is two ladies in profile, one a nurse and one wearing a sailor cap. There's a nautical star type deal with wings.

My toes say: SEABR IDGE! because I am extremely clever.

What does it all mean? Not much in the grand scheme of things.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:06 PM   #208
Jonathan Rich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Tabor View Post
My first tattoo was "love" in Korean. It's plain and simple and, as tattoos go, really understated.
My second was a seriously lame butterfly on my upper ankle. Hell with it. I was in Ft. Lauderdale and I was all of 22 or so years old. Meh.
Third was...pretty big. It's not anything super artsy or anything (WFS), it's just some script. It's my brother's handwriting and translation, so I know it's accurate but yeh...on the ribs it wasn't too fun. You can see where some of the lines got to be a little wiggly because my midsection started seizing. Incidentally, if that happens to you, get up and walk around and take a deep breath or nine. The endorphins kick in and it's a buzzy ride after that.
I think that looks great Jamie!
Old 06-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #209
Nate Redman

Profile:

I have a 3/4 length sleeve, lets see here... An imperial crown on my shoulder with my Mom's name in it. A good sized type writer style "H" on my tricep with a negative of a snowflake behing it for my sister. Inside bicep is my family crest and outsideis a flaming heart the reads "Father"... "Aliquis" and "Accipio" flank that. a fluer de lis on the elbow pit and big praying (healing) hands on my front fore arm for a friend who past away, and a big Victorian "R" on the back for my last name... and swirling Japanese "clouds" as fill...

I like my family.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #210
Todd Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
A buddy of mine joked (and one day I hope to get him drunk enough that he actually does this) that he'd get a tattoo, written upside down across his back, which says, "Let go of my ears, I know what I'm doing."

http://www.pizzacomedy.com/wp-conten...iffeltower.jpg (WFS)