CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:31 AM   #21
David Wood

Profile:

Re: Philosophical question CF VS. Globo GYM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Broun View Post
I kind of like it that way anyway... Folks at my Globo Gym only use the squat racks on Sundays, which allows me to camp out on that half of the gym for my entire WOD most days.

Ok, I gotta ask . . . why do they use it only on Sundays? (assuming you meant that literally?)
Old 02-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #22
Jim Broun

Profile:

Beats me...
I have noticed a lot of folks put off their leg workouts until the weekend (or don't do them at all).

Really small gym here in PCB...
Old 02-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #23
Jonathan Rich

Profile:

Strangely enough, when I use to do body-building type workouts about 7 or 8 years ago, we always did leg workouts on Sundays. The guy I was working out with had been doing it like that for awhile, so I guess it's a pretty standard rotation for body building. It's funny how boring that seems now that I think about it.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #24
Rachel Watkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff R Tucker View Post
Meaning - do any of you see a day in the future when a globo gym says - Why are we not offering CF classes for those out there who do CF? It seems like a logical thought or step and yet all I hear is the resistance to CF from the Globo Mom and Pop owners and CEO's of Globos. What is to stop the Life time fitness gyms from merely adding CF as part of the system of bizz as usual?

Then, what is the cause and result of such. Personally - I hope CF takes over the world! A Cross Fit Jihad if you will for fitness.

I think I could see this, and part of this is me being hopeful. I landed a position as a massage therapist at a local globo-gym, and haven't had time to get myself up to GSX to workout (half hour drive in good traffic, and insane gas prices currently). I'm missing it terribly, and will try to get my schedule worked in such a way that it's possible, because GSX rocks and inspires me. The free membership with the job is nice, but no replacement for a real crossfit gym.

But I got creative and did something of an impromptu crossfit-style workout there tonight... (sprints on their upstairs track, hyperextentions, hang-cleans, handstands, assisted pull-ups, wall-ball with a small 7lb medicine ball in the mini basketball court, box-jumps onto a bench) in a number of rounds, nearly met pukie, and got a lot of puzzled, interested, or curious looks.

I can see applying some creativity, and invisting some of my own money into some kettlebells, big medicine balls, and rings, and doing the WODs there... it may catch on. There's some really cool people there (even if it is a globo-gym) who may well see crossfit as something they would love to do. Why couldn't crossfit be worked into the programs there if it were viable from a business standpoint?

It is in my plans for the year to get a certification or three through crossfit, already registered for one (basic barbell at GSX), and then maybe I can make something of it.

Opportunities abound everywhere if you look at a situation with the right attitude. And the people who are attracted to crossfit can be found in many places, though they may not have heard of it yet, they would be open to the idea.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:53 AM   #25
Justin Shipley

Profile:

Can i see a future when CF classes are up and running in globogyms as the original post asked.No. Isolated classes in isolated large commercial gyms in areas with certain demographics, yes, sure. But widespread acceptance a la Les Mills programs, no. Call me jaded, but froma commercial perspective, gyms get most of their $ from the 80% of members who join then never attend beyond the first month because IT'S HARD WORK, and while there will always be a trickle of regular gym goers who are bored, or not satisfied or not getting results who will 'cross the floor' to CF, actually advertising the fact that you are offering something DIFFICULT to the general population runs contra to the need to turn a profit, so gyms won't do it, generally.
if anything its going the other way in some cities; someone quoted an ad for a city gym where you could be in and out in ten minutes; not break a sweat; no need to change out of your suit....
Old 04-15-2008, 07:39 AM   #26
Jason Ackerman

Profile:

True story. A trainer I know from a "globo-gym" told me they are adding functional fitness classes. I asked, "where are you getting your bumper weights?", he looked at me dumbfounded, and said, "what are those?"...I don't think we have to worry just yet.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:47 AM   #27
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Waguespack View Post
I think it would be something like Michael Bolton trying to sing for the Sex Pistols. He could learn the words and even get through the songs , but it just wouldn't work. The attitude and the mentality just wouldn't be there.
True - but man, I'd actually pay good money to see that, if it ever did happen. It would be like watching surrealistic dada performance art or something.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:51 AM   #28
Ryan Green

Profile:

I work out at Lifestyles, the predominant commercial gym chain in my area, and they offer classes called Bodypump, Bodyattack, and Bodycombat, and they're basically hourlong metcon WODs. They're definitely the most popular classes at my gym, there's usually more people in those than out on the floor on machines.

I definitely think CrossFit (or a similar program) is going to take the place of the machine/bodybuilding era.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:51 AM   #29
Ryan Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Ackerman View Post
True story. A trainer I know from a "globo-gym" told me they are adding functional fitness classes. I asked, "where are you getting your bumper weights?", he looked at me dumbfounded, and said, "what are those?"...I don't think we have to worry just yet.
Functional fitness isn't dependent on olympic lifts.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #30
Darren Zega

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Shipley View Post
Call me jaded, but froma commercial perspective, gyms get most of their $ from the 80% of members who join then never attend beyond the first month because IT'S HARD WORK

People will do anything to get in shape except eat right and excercise. And of the excessively few that will work hard to get "in shape," even fewer are willing to work hard to get "fit."

CF will never be mainstream. Crappy "functional fitness" (a term which I now hate because it's a buzz-word) knock-offs will be attempted to seize on the fad and make money, but no globo gym will ever come close to something in the spirit of CF.

Last edited by David Wood; 04-15-2008 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: fixed typo