CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #11
Craig Brown

Profile:
Re: Getting off the crack

I've said it other places: get strict for a couple three weeks. Plan your cheats. Make them count. make it ONE all-out feast every Sunday or whatever, so you can plan it, play with menus, have some folks over. That's it. The citical thing for me was re-adjusting my palate to real food. The point where I realized I really LIKED raw spinach, brocolli, caulifower, cabbage- just plain- was when I realized my body understood better than I did what 'good food' was.

Craig
Old 02-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #12
Bill Sullivan

Profile:

Try keeping a detailed food log for a few weeks. Record the basics, like what, how much, and when you ate, but also track where you were, what you were doing, your emotional state, and how you felt afterward. Most of my "bad" eating is emotional: I'm tired, bored, lonely, depressed, or maybe even happy and in a mood to celebrate. Having discovered this, I can now find other ways to fulfill some of these needs that don't involve food. It doesn't work all the time, but any improvement is a step in the right direction.

For me there's a huge difference between Intentional Bad Eating, like "Tonight's my birthday and I'm going to have a piece of cake," and Unintentional Bad Eating, like "Did I REALLY eat six donuts on the drive home from the store???" I do much better allowing myself the first and avoiding the second.

Good luck!
Old 02-13-2008, 06:33 PM   #13
Micah Tanner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Dent View Post
Hey all, first CF post...
Anyways, I'm a sugar junky. I eat pretty healthy (sort of a paleo diet, although not totally 100% strict) but sugar is my weak spot. I'll eat cookies/ice cream/chocolate until I get nauseous. In fact, I've always exercised not only because I'm military, but so I don't get too fat from sugar.

Anyways, it is/was almost an addiction (maybe not "almost"?) and the way I broke it was me and my wife both decided we were tired of it and we were ready to get healthy. We're there for each other, and support each other in "weak" moments. (yeah, I'm pathetic). Anyways, it's been pretty good, we cut 100% refined sugar. Once we feel comfortable and have more will power we'll probably allow a sugary dessert once a week.

Anyways, my point is that it may help to find a partner in will power, it helped me. Good luck.
Jake (and everyone else I suppose),

Be careful with the occasional sugar cheats (if you do decide to do them). I'm a sugar junkie as well, and the best way I've found to control my sugar intake is to cut it out 100%. No sugar, no artificial sweetener, no honey, no agave nectar - nothing except for fruit. If I reward myself for being a good boy with even a small cookie, I usually turn into a bad boy and eat the whole box of cookies. Then I am back on the sugar train and have trouble getting off. If I completely eliminate sugar, its not that hard for me to resist. I learned this the hard way though, and it even got bad enough that I decided I had no choice but to p!$$ of my mom and sister and refuse desserts when they cook holiday dinners for me. And even when that jerk guilted me into buying girl scout cookies a few weeks ago that were delivered this week, I still had to give the boxes away (Samoas are my crack).

I do "cheat" still, but I can no longer cheat with sugar. It has to be other garbage-food.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:52 PM   #14
Jake Dent

Profile:

Thanks for the tip Micah, I'll keep that in mind....I'll have to think about it I suppose!
Old 02-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #15
Jonathan Rich

Profile:

I'm the same way Micah. I have to cut it out completely or I'll crave it too much.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:32 PM   #16
Jay Roughton

Profile:

I guess you have to ask yourself what your motivation is? I know that habits, and genes, and what your born with, and many other issues affect us all, but in the end I believe alot of what you need is will power & set your self small monthly goals to reach. Don't have items in the house that will tempt you, Be strict for a month (zone) and give yourself a cheat meal at the end of that month. I was only 165 lbs. and after 56 days with only 1 cheat day after the 1st month, I lost 20 lbs. The results alone have given me the biggest reason to be a true zone eater. Make it a way of life instead of a diet or a way to lose weight. I don't think Zoneish will work for you. You need to measure, weigh, count, choose from the favorable list (CF Journal #21) and log it all, somewhere. You can do it man~!!!

Jay
Old 02-14-2008, 06:27 AM   #17
Joe Celso

Profile:

Nick - You're on! For even more motivation, maybe we should put a log of our WOD's and dietary intake in the "workout logs" section of the message board.

I'm already off to a bad start... just had some choc covered raisins while sitting at my desk. At lunch today, I'll go snap a photo of my fat *** on the scale.

Are you ready?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:33 AM   #18
Joe Celso

Profile:

oh - one other stipulation to the contest... you're CF Total can't go down! It'd be too easy to go all catabolic on this one and get weak in an effort to just shed weight. Gotta stay strong!

Deal?
Old 02-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #19
Nicholas Daigle

Profile:

Joe - Sounds great! I definitely don't plan on losing a bunch of muscle mass. I'm training for a mountain climb in June, so I'm not about to go make myself weak just to lose weight. The whole idea behind the weight loss is to be as fit as possible come time for the climb. I'm concentrating pretty heavily on met con work though, so I wouldn't be suprised if my Total stayed pretty stagnant. The last time I did the total was at the end of November and it was 850.

I've already got a workout log you can check out - it's titled (appropriately enough) "Nick's Log". I'll start putting my diet stuff in it in the next day or two.

How do we sweeten the pot? Does your affiliate have a tshirt I could buy if I lose or something?
Old 02-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #20
Daniel Hubbard

Profile:

As mentioned already, it's the sugar. I LOVE FOOD. But my diet is simple.

1- No refined sugar
2- No MSG

If you're eating out, this is really hard. Fortunately for me, my wife makes everything from scratch (you don't even know how spoiled I am). But it sounds like you cook a lot more than you're out. I eat all the fatty foods I want, I eat anything I want as long as I'm following the two rules. Personally, I believe that fat does not make you fat; sugar makes you fat. I'm no scientist, dietician or anything, but I've seen it work.

Good luck with your goals. It sounds like you're serious about it, and for that I'll be rooting for you.

-hub