CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-09-2005, 11:43 PM   #1
Darryl Lardizabal

Profile:  
what is the best protein powder available; brand and quality wise that is well absorbed. i am not a vegan but i do not believe in fillers and all the fake added sugar. basically as pure of protein as u can get. BCAA's in the mix would also be good. thanks.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:35 AM   #3
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Darryl, take my word for it...taste really does play a role in this.

For about the past year I've been using EAS Precision Protein. It's ion-exchange whey...the concentrates tend to cause me some GI distress. I feel this product has been a pretty good all-around protein supplement.

But different types of protein are optimal for different situations according to "the research"...so your question actually has different answers depending on how/when you plan to use the supplement. You're going to have to be more specific...and get Googling. There's lots of info out there on what I'm talking about. T-Nation also has some decent articles/forum threads about it.

I've recently placed an order with The Protein Factory...a company that actually allows you to specify precisely what types/amounts of protein you're using...as well as any fats/carbs in the mix, sweetners, etc. etc. etc. If you really want protein and absolutely nothing else (it's not going to taste very good) you might want to invest a couple of days reading up on protein utilization/absorbtion, etc., then place an order through them. Their prices are extremely reasonable IMO.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:44 AM   #4
Darryl Lardizabal

Profile:  
it will mostly be post-workout.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:49 AM   #5
Darryl Lardizabal

Profile:  
i dont need the added fake sugars etc because ill add mostly honey to it or something of that sort.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:49 AM   #6
Brendan Melville

Profile:
Matt, what did you end up getting for a formula? I've been kicking around some ideas in my head about some custom formulas to try, and I'm curious as to what you put together.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:22 PM   #7
Cassidy Drake

Profile:

I myself like true protein. I have made two blends for myself that I use each time.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:15 PM   #8
Skip Chase

Profile:
The important factor with protein is how you drink it. Protein is sold and marketed 'by the gram'. During the past several years, the amount of grams per serving keeps increasing, leaving the market impression, 'more bang per serving'. Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, none of the manufacturers tell you the proper way to drink it, in order to allow the body to process it. We need to SIP it, and take our time drinking it. The only site I have ever seen that tells us to sip it, is ironmind.com. The only company, again, to the best of my knowledge, who claims to have figured out how to 'predigest' protein for better 'assimilation' is ********.com.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:42 PM   #9
Cassidy Drake

Profile:

Pre digesting is nothing more than hydrolyzing the protein, and almost ever company offers tha now.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:23 PM   #10
Skip Chase

Profile:
No, sorry, different process. I don't want to get into the 'science', but, it is not 'hydrolyzed'. Anyway, when itr comes to the rest, 'Just Sip It'.