CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
Andrew Crane

Profile:
New to CF

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking since I discovered crossfit about a month ago. I'm really enjoying it and have lost 5 lbs., and my strength has increased a ton, I can squat way more than I could a month ago and my pull-ups are getting better by the week.

My main question is about diet stuff. I would like to lose body fat/inches off my waist, more than anything, as I am 5'9.5" and weigh 170, but my waist is 36". I see you all talking about paleo and zone, etc., and I'm still unclear as to the difference, really, if there is one. I picked up a zone book but I don't know how I feel about it, seeing as how they tell you not to eat whole eggs and it seems like it would be really tedious to have to measure meals out all the time. Honestly, I would never keep it up if I had to measure everything. So, is paleo different, and if so, how so? Or is there a website where I can educate myself on this stuff? I've started following the "meats, vegetables, nuts, and seeds" that is recommended, and this rough guideline seems more like something I can stick with. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
Jordan Riley McClintock

Profile:
Re: New to CF

From my understanding, the difference between Paleo and Zone is this: Zone is quantity of food, Paleo is quality of food.
With the Zone diet, you are focusing more on the specific macronutrient breakdown of your diet, as well as weighing and measuring the amount you eat, whereas, with the paleo you are eating as much as you like, of good, clean foods. Following the Paleo diet generally also means you are eating a high fat and protein, low-carb diet, although not always.
There are probably others who could word this better, but this is my general understanding of the two, and their differences, although, in the end, it is really up to you, which you prefer to follow!
Old 06-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Cameron Patterson

Profile:

Jordan is right in saying that Paleo is about quality while Zone is about quantity. In my opinion quaility is more important and the Zone should then be used to improve on a high quality diet. Therfore, Paleo is a good starting point for anyone. Also, if you don't think you would be able to stick to the Zone right now, don't sweat it. Simply by following Paleo 90 to 100 percent of the time, you will see increadible results.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Speaking from experience, I would definitely not do Zone and Paleo right off the bat. Start with paleo.

I have been doing paleo for about 6 months, I feel great and I have no current plans of ever implementing Zone into my nutrition plan. Why fix what isn't broken, right?

But, by all means, once you get your food choices cleaned up, give Zone a try. If you like it and you can manage it, go for it. If you can't... no big loss, in my opinion.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Crane View Post
I picked up a zone book but I don't know how I feel about it, seeing as how they tell you not to eat whole eggs and it seems like it would be really tedious to have to measure meals out all the time. Honestly, I would never keep it up if I had to measure everything.
Yeah, I get a headache just reading how people calculate their freaking Zone blocks. I started off strict Paleo and have since added in some non-Paleo foods and just eat clean. Eat real food, and you'll be fine. I eat when I'm hungry. I eat until I'm not hungry.

Don't forget to eat bacon.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Don't forget to eat bacon.

That is the most important part of paleo.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Trying to head me off at the pass with the bacon.

I will let you in on secert for diet. If you want to lose weight, eat real food. LIke stuff you have to cook. Meat, veggies, fruits, nuts. Nothing out of box, can's are iffy, frozen meat (I mean meat that comes from teh animal (legs, things, steak) ground meat (ground beef is still beef) and high qoulaity sausage), frozen veggies, frozen fruit (with none of that added crap, fruit is fine the way it is).

DO n't tell anyone else. It's secret.

THe secret to getting strong is this. Move things, exert youself, then rest. DOn't tell anyone, really, it's secret. Mcines don't count, they guide the movement. MOve yourself, a barbell, a kb, db, sandbag, rock, stone, axel, someone else. Doesn't really matter. Just make sure you work real hard, then rest and do it again. If you don't get results and you aren't tired, do more. If you don't get result and you are tired, do less.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:32 AM   #8
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Trying to head me off at the pass with the bacon.
Well, I almost asked "What are your goals?" in another thread, but I figured I couldn't steal that one from you...
Old 06-09-2010, 07:29 AM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Tamara,

Please use it, helps get the point across.

Also, feel free to use my rant against ridiculous defintions of functional and high rep full oly lifts.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #10
Brian Bedell

Profile:

He really should read the FAQ too, just saying...