CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 09-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
David M Tillotson

Profile:
"Fittest Fat Guy" on Paleo

First post, so it might be a little too long...

I'm a 1LT in the 82nd Airborne currently posted in Kuwait, waiting to go north to Afghanistan here shortly. Being in the 82nd my Met-Cons are off the charts, but you wouldn't really be able to tell looking at me.

I started Crossfit late in 2007 after my ROTC Instructor, MAJ MacFarland, found it. I hit it hard for the first couple of months and went from having to do jumping pullups to a 5:45 Fran Rx'd time. At that point I was also in the Zone.

Once I got into the "big army" I fell off the wagon hard core. I was forced into the army PT schedule, but also got out of the Zone. I know... how stupid is that to stop doing good work, and then also quit eating well.

Now that I am deployed, I get to do PT on my own, and it's been great getting back into it. While warming up for a WOD, a fellow crossfitter noticed me doing overhead squats, and worked in with me. He and a buddy of his, Libby, were impressed with how in shape I was. Libby called me the "fittest fat guy he had ever seen."

Chad likes to say he's my "life coach", and both he and Libby talked me into going paleo. Along with that, I have stopped doing the WOD and gotten on Starting Strength for a 3 week cycle to get stronger, on Chad's suggestion.

Since starting on paleo, I have gone from 232 to 214 in 6 weeks with half that time doing little to no Met-Cons. I lose about half a pound a day, and my body is in constant ketosis, but I'm working through it. I have bought a set of rings, and can now get a muscle-up consistently, and hope to get 2 in a row soon.

I can testify, that losing weight has more to do with diet than how much cardio you do. I am a believer. Thanks for everything coach.

LT TILL
Old 09-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
Emily Maisannes

Profile:
Re: "Fittest Fat Guy" on Paleo

You're absolutely right. I started with CF but didn't clean up my diet for several months. During that time I lost maybe 5 lbs. After I cleaned up my diet, 42 lbs of fat just fell off in a few months. You can't out train a s***ty diet!
Old 09-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

At about 6'2" and between 160-165, I'm looking more to add lean muscle mass then lose weight. I've haven't gone total paleo or Zone but working on incorporating the correct foods into my diet (less process, more natural, more protein, etc.). I've even started eating more eggs, something I haven't done in years.

Diet and exercise go together for total fitness. Can't eat crap and expect your body to run at its best.

And thank you sir for your service.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
David M Tillotson

Profile:

Just thought I'd give a little sitrep. Haven't had much time to check out the forums lately here in Afghanistan, so this is a rare treat. Was hitting the paleo pretty steadily until about two weeks ago, when I reached my pre-R&R goal of being under 200 lbs. This is the first time in over 5.5 years that I have been under 200 lbs. Currently I'm sitting at a strong 197 (35 lbs total weight loss), and now allow myself two cheat days a week. Go up the day after, but stay under 200 before the next cheat day. Hope everyone is still working hard and loving life. I know I am, even in the worst conditions.

LT TILL
Old 12-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #5
Justin Stover

Profile:

LT,

Congrats on your weight loss! I am deployed right now to Baghdad, and have lost 20 lbs. on Paleo. I am in the middle of a "30 day challenge" and am excited to see more results. :stir:

Have been doing workouts on www.sealfit.com w/f safe. Check it out, very good workouts but usually take an hour plus to complete.

Last edited by Justin Stover : 12-04-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
Stephen Yosypiw

Profile:

Good effort mate. I know how you feel, being a fit fat guy myself. Haha. I love the phrase.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
Quinn Walkley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M Tillotson View Post
Just thought I'd give a little sitrep. Haven't had much time to check out the forums lately here in Afghanistan, so this is a rare treat. Was hitting the paleo pretty steadily until about two weeks ago, when I reached my pre-R&R goal of being under 200 lbs. This is the first time in over 5.5 years that I have been under 200 lbs. Currently I'm sitting at a strong 197 (35 lbs total weight loss), and now allow myself two cheat days a week. Go up the day after, but stay under 200 before the next cheat day. Hope everyone is still working hard and loving life. I know I am, even in the worst conditions.

LT TILL
Sounds great! I am giong to go on Paleo come january as well. Not to lose weight because I am 6'3 200 but to get better at crossfit. I am actually looking to gain a few by eating alot!

Also, thank you for your service and everthing that you do for all Americans!
Old 12-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
Dave Taylor

Profile:

Is this stefan mcfarland from it Austin he used to be my company commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M Tillotson View Post
First post, so it might be a little too long...

I'm a 1LT in the 82nd Airborne currently posted in Kuwait, waiting to go north to Afghanistan here shortly. Being in the 82nd my Met-Cons are off the charts, but you wouldn't really be able to tell looking at me.

I started Crossfit late in 2007 after my ROTC Instructor, MAJ MacFarland, found it. I hit it hard for the first couple of months and went from having to do jumping pullups to a 5:45 Fran Rx'd time. At that point I was also in the Zone.

Once I got into the "big army" I fell off the wagon hard core. I was forced into the army PT schedule, but also got out of the Zone. I know... how stupid is that to stop doing good work, and then also quit eating well.

Now that I am deployed, I get to do PT on my own, and it's been great getting back into it. While warming up for a WOD, a fellow crossfitter noticed me doing overhead squats, and worked in with me. He and a buddy of his, Libby, were impressed with how in shape I was. Libby called me the "fittest fat guy he had ever seen."

Chad likes to say he's my "life coach", and both he and Libby talked me into going paleo. Along with that, I have stopped doing the WOD and gotten on Starting Strength for a 3 week cycle to get stronger, on Chad's suggestion.

Since starting on paleo, I have gone from 232 to 214 in 6 weeks with half that time doing little to no Met-Cons. I lose about half a pound a day, and my body is in constant ketosis, but I'm working through it. I have bought a set of rings, and can now get a muscle-up consistently, and hope to get 2 in a row soon.

I can testify, that losing weight has more to do with diet than how much cardio you do. I am a believer. Thanks for everything coach.

LT TILL
Old 12-18-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
David M Tillotson

Profile:

Dave,
Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, but just been busy as hell over here in Afghanistan. Actually it was MAJ Stefan MacFarland. Hope you realize how lucky you were to have him as your CO. Can't wait to get back to Austin for R&R and get a WOD in with him in the basement gym of UT ROTC.

So I'm still losing, and actually weighed in at 193 lbs yesterday. Still on Paleo, but doing GOMAD to try and gain some muscle mass. Hope all is well everyone, and keep up the hard work.

LT TILL
Old 03-18-2010, 03:00 AM   #10
Peter Gering

Profile:

Congrats on the wieght losss. I'e been strictly on the paleo diet since this past monday when I started crossfit. I been a "fat guy" too, yet nowhere near you I'm currently at 319 down 6 in just a few days. I too am now a firm believer that not just exercise alone will help loose weight, diet is key. Best of luck and be safe over there! Oh read your first post on "might be a little too long" my first pot turned into 4 wrote up my last 12 years of my life in microsoft word and couldn't fit it all in one post had a little chuckle there, no worries your's is far from too long. If you find mine just skip to the end, I'm sure no one needs to know my journey to that amount of detail.Best of luck, stay safe!

Thank you sir, for your service to our country.