CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-26-2007, 09:33 AM   #1
Shane Dobson

Profile:
I'm a Newbie....and now I can't move!!!!HaHa

I did my first WOD and her name was "Helen" The next day I'm so sore I can hardly walk...any suggestions on day two work out when you can't physically do it? I almost hate to post this but oh well. This is completely new to me but I love the punishment!!!! Can't wait for the next one.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Re: I'm a Newbie....and now I can't move!!!!HaHa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Dobson View Post
I did my first WOD and her name was "Helen" The next day I'm so sore I can hardly walk...any suggestions on day two work out when you can't physically do it? I almost hate to post this but oh well. This is completely new to me but I love the punishment!!!! Can't wait for the next one.
Check BrandX from now on! Scale, scale, scale--I cant say that enough in the beginning even if you think you are in great shape! Drink plenty of pure water, use Omega 3s and remember one of the best way to recuperate is to sleep enough (recommended at 9hrs a night!!).

Oh and be sure you are eating well! Paleo/zone is the most common way of the Crossfitter!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
Daniel Fannin

Profile:

Shane,

Welcome to the party!

I'm not a doctor or anything, so take my words with a grain of salt....

See the above post for scaling. If you're stubborn or able to push yourself VERY hard it just might save your life.

As for recovering, I take Omega-3's to help with inflammation. This morning I broke down and took a Tylenol (second time in probably years). I also do some SLOW movements to warm up to stretches. The idea is to get blood flowing to the affected muscles to help the healing process.

SLEEP. You'd be suprised how much this helps.

If you can get a massage chair, or even better a massage, that's freaking awesome! I've recently discovered that vibrations help me heal quicker. I stole my wife's massage chair attachment this morning and it was great.

There are also hot/cold baths you can do for the affected body parts. Search the forum.

And finally...search the forum. The search function is your friend.

Daniel

Edit: Um...yeah...obviously I didn't read the rest of Sarena's post before launching off into a monologue. My apologies!

Last edited by Daniel Fannin : 11-26-2007 at 10:47 AM. Reason: I'm stupid
Old 11-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Shane:

Is your soreness getting worse? Check the color of your urine; is it normal or getting very dark, almost brownish? Seriously.

Helen is famous for causing an entity called "Rhabdomyolysis", the symptoms of which are in my questions. If you have this get thee to an ER pronto and tell them what you've done for exercise. They will draw a "CK' or "CPK" which will be diagnostic.

Scale, Dude. Until you get a feel for these cruel "women", scale. Remember, safety first.

Welcome aboard. Fasten your seatbelt.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:40 PM   #5
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Don't worry too much. In a few weeks you'll rarely have DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) anymore. Welcome, and have fun.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:38 PM   #6
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Doesn't sound like you've got rhabdo. Walking wasn't terribly easy after my last Cindy, either.

However, if you do come up with symptoms of rhabdo, go to doctor, etc, etc...

Patrick's right, though. The soreness does get less eventually.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:04 PM   #7
Shane Dobson

Profile:

Thanks for the info and the support. I will scale back, I just don't want to scale to much. I'm new so I hope to find the right combo soon. Thanks again.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:13 PM   #8
Ian Wilson

Profile:

I just started CF after a lot of reading and decided to scale my first two workouts (Fran and my own Julie). I feel your pain. I woke up in the middle of the night last night because my biceps were so sore. I have to think it's only going to get better.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:03 PM   #9
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:
Smile Re: I'm a Newbie....and now I can't move!!!!HaHa

I'm also a newbie also. I was told by the trainer, Jason Ackerman, of Albany, to do a scaled down version of the workouts. Certain exercizes are not yet safe for my injuries, and I'm building stamina for the first time. I have been sore, and fatigued. I've had slight hallucinations and nausea. That's a sign that this is the best thing I've ever done!
Old 11-29-2007, 09:15 PM   #10
Steve Forman

Profile:

IMHO,

Anyone and everyone new to anything SHOULD SCALE!. Especially in CF. The most athletic people have fallen to DOMS after there first WOD.

Crossfit is meant to be scaled, without any humiliation. You will build up to doing the WOD as RX'd. (dont ask me how I know ) Please dont let your pride potentially ruin a few weeks of good training by causing an injury.

Shoot I still get a good case of the DOMS when I haven't Tabata squatted in a while.

Anyways, welcome to everyone who finds CF. stick with it, remember that nutrition is the most important factor for performance, health and recovery. without proper nutrition, your just spinning wheels.

steve