CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-06-2007, 11:13 AM   #41
Christine Reinhart

Profile:
Re: George's Recipe Corner

Hi George,

A quick question for you about your flax seed meal pizza crust (I plan to give it a try this evening). The nutritional information you have provided is for one 35g serving, but how many servings would there be as per the recipe (i.e., one 8-inch crust)? Thank you in advance for your help, and for posting your amazing recipes! I always look forward to reading about your latest creations.

Christine
Old 10-06-2007, 11:56 AM   #42
George Mounce

Profile:

I believe thats for 1 serving of 8. Going to buy apple pie supplies right now. =)
Old 10-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #43
George Mounce

Profile:

Ugh - pie problems. I have to rework some ingredients, sigh another week, but in good news, it sure did make good apple crisp, haha!
Old 10-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #44
George Mounce

Profile:

Buckwheat Crackers

Taken from (wfs) http://www.recipetips.com/recipe-car...e-crackers.asp and changed to my liking. I didn't add any seasoning the first time and they still taste good. I would suggest though herbs, even cinnamon for a sweeter snack! I wanted something I could dip in salsa.

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups buckwheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil; more as needed
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
8 tablespoons water; add more as needed
1 teaspoon seasoning such as chili powder, dried herbs etc (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400F.

Mix together well, preferably in a food processor, 1 cup of the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and oil ( use smaller amount for crisper crackers, or a larger amount for a richer flavor). Add 3 tablespoons water and mix well. Gradually add more water, mixing after each addition, until mixture forms a compact ball. If it seems too sticky to handle, add more flour.

Sprinkle a work surface (or a baking sheet-sized piece of parchment paper) with some of the remaining flour then press and roll the dough to about 1/8th inch thick. Try to get it fairly uniform. If the dough is too dry to roll out, return it to the food processor and add a little more water. If necessary to prevent sticking, dust your hands and the rolling pin with a little more flour.

Put the rolled-out dough on a baking sheet dusted with a little flour (if you've used parchment paper, transfer dough and paper to baking sheet) and bake 10 - 15 minutes, until somewhat brown.
Cool and break into pieces. If making several batches, mix another while the first one bakes. You can re-use the parchment paper several times.

Makes about 36 crackers.

Nutrition Facts: (1F/1C)
Serving Size 23g (3 crackers)
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 67
Calories from Fat: 27
Total Fat: 3.0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 99mg
Total Carbohydrates: 9.2g
Dietary Fiber: 1.5g
Protein: 1.8g

Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 1% Iron 3%
Old 10-07-2007, 05:23 PM   #45
Barry Cooper

Profile:

I had intended on posting a couple ideas, and hopefully this is not the wrong place to do it.

I really like to eat, and although I am otherwise Francophobic, I have to admit I like sauces.

One sauce which is easily made is Sauce Veloute (I believe I have it classified correctly--please correct me if wrong), in which you melt butter in a pan, add an equal amount of flour (I wonder if Buckwheat flour would work), and basically toast the flour a minute or two, until it smells good. This of course is a roux. Then add bouillon of some sort. I buy the Knorr Vegetable, Beef, Fish, and Chicken Bouillon, and for a Zone friendly 1-1.5 teaspoons of butter, you would add roughly 1/3 cup of bouillon, made from 1/2 cube to a whole cube, depending on your taste. Stir it for 5 minutes or so, and it should thicken well. Use whatever bouillon you will be using it on, fish on fish, for example. Can of course be used on vegetables as well.

Another idea I had yesterday was using French Onion Dip in a stew I made with baked fish and canned tomatoes. I counted it as sour cream, but it has a lot more flavor.

Tonight, I just warmed up some fish and added the bouillon directly to it with some water. It was very flavorful.

I've also been experimenting with using ground almonds as thickeners in sauces. It adds a nice texture and flavor to any stew or sauce. I use my coffee grinder to grind them.

I will add, that for anybody not already using it, Maggi Seasoning is really good. It's not always with the ketchup. I have found it in numerous places in the store, but it's good on canned tuna, and almost everything else.

Finally, this should probably be in another thread--and has probably already been said somewhere-but I've been eating dried apricots to make up any missing Carb blocks. They are much quicker than eating an apple, and reasonably healthy. They keep forever, and you can keep a lot of them around easily. Raisins of course, or currants would work well too. They have a relatively high glycemic index, but are still Zonable.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #46
George Mounce

Profile:

Beware - the crackers are dangerous. I've had 6 and then I had to hide them. Thanks for the tips Barry!
Old 10-08-2007, 12:51 AM   #47
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Do you take requests, DJ?

I don't have an oven here, just a stove. Any stovetop recipes in that head of yours?
Old 10-08-2007, 05:12 AM   #48
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Buckwheat Crackers

Cool and break into pieces. If making several batches, mix another while the first one bakes. You can re-use the parchment paper several times.

Makes about 36 crackers.

George, here's a tip about crackers: if you lightly score the unbaked dough with a pizza cutter, after they're baked, you can break them more uniformly into rectangluar or square crackers.

Your recipes are incredible. I have to go back to the coop sometime this week for supplies for my now gluten and dairy-free kid. I'm for sure picking up a bunch of buckwheat flour. Can't wait to try some of these recipes.

Susie
Old 10-08-2007, 06:46 AM   #49
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Rosenberg View Post
George, here's a tip about crackers: if you lightly score the unbaked dough with a pizza cutter, after they're baked, you can break them more uniformly into rectangluar or square crackers.

Your recipes are incredible. I have to go back to the coop sometime this week for supplies for my now gluten and dairy-free kid. I'm for sure picking up a bunch of buckwheat flour. Can't wait to try some of these recipes.

Susie
I actually do that, didn't include it in the recipe as some people have kids who like to bread things. This recipe is perfect for them.

I also cook all flat bread recipes on a pizza stone, it makes for much more uniform baking. After making this batch, my wife wanted me to keep cooking them they are so good, yet so evil! I'm going to make up a cinnamon batch today.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:07 AM   #50
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

George, pls stop posting your recipes. I cant stop salivating! How do I record that in fitday?