CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
Alex Phongsvat

Profile:
Crossfit football or Normal Crossfit ?!?!

Hi all

Could someone tell me what is the difference in Crossfit football & normal Crossfit?What are the benifits of each and what will they develop more?

Thx in advance
Old 05-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Crossfit football or Normal Crossfit ?!?!

CFFB has a dedicated strength portion to the work and typically shorter, heavier metcons (except for sat, which is long and heavy). CF has strength work worked in but is much less frequent than CFFB and the metcon vary much more in terms of length and weight.

CFFB will develop more strength and power at the expense of endurance. For energy systems, CFFB focuses on the ATP and glycotic systems, where CF hits all three (oxidative being the other) equally over a long enough time scale.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:38 AM   #3
Alex Phongsvat

Profile:

thx for the reply it was very good!
Old 05-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
Alex Phongsvat

Profile:

Simplified it means CF makes u well balanced and CFFB makes u 60% power and 40% cardio right?

At my gym they offer Boxing class monday,Kickboxing thuesday,taekwondo wednesday,kickboxing thursday and boxing saturday....I plan on going to all the class

Should i stick to Normal CF and increase my overwall performance or do CFFB to increase my power and let my boxing/kickboxing/taekwondo class do the rest for conditioning and cardio?

What do u think is better in the long run?
Old 05-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Are the boxing/kickboxing/etc. classes taught as real martial arts, or as "cardio"? It matters because there's a big difference in metabolic demand between punching the air for 45 minutes and sparring or heavy bag work. If you are doing real martial arts training five days a week, it would probably be unwise to layer full out 3-1 Crossfit on top of that, at least at first. (In fact, five days a week of martial arts alone is a pretty heavy load for most people.)

Whether CF mainpage or CFFB is better in the long(or short) run depends on what you're trying to achieve. CFFB is designed for people who want to play contact sports, while the main page is designed to produce well-rounded general fitness.

Katherine
Old 05-22-2010, 05:42 AM   #6
Randy Hill

Profile:

I don't play contact sports but have been following the CFFB workouts for about 3 weeks so far and I feel more powerful than ever. My goals are to get bigger and stronger and more powerful but not fat and sloppy.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

I prefer CFFB over CFSB, personally. I like heavy lifting and I like sprinting. I still do regular CF workouts but the shorter, heavier ones are much more my style. I'm a light person too... 168ish at 6'1" and CFFB helps me make the strength gains I need. Plus the strength work that is already incorporated into the program keeps me on track with my weekly lifts.

Sometimes, the longer CF WODs get to be a bit dragging and I don't feel I'm getting as much as I could out of them. I realize I will only make improvement if I keep going but I like the fact that CFFB lets you work with more explosive power for shorter amounts of time and really helps out with the running. I'd give both a try for a good amount of time and see what you like.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
Randy Hill

Profile:

Hey man, if all of those fighting classes you're going to are pretty physically demanding cardio wise, why don't you just do a dedicated strength program and let that be your cardio element for now?
Old 05-24-2010, 06:38 AM   #9
Alex Phongsvat

Profile:

Well i tried the class for this week..The class arent specialized like a real martial arts school.But we really work on techniques,Punching bags,jumping ropes,drills,sparring,we even do some floor work(MMA style)

They are not like Tae-bo from Billy Banks heheh!its a lot more contact oriented then that.

I dont know if its because i sometime train in superset with moderate/heavy weights,but i noticed that my fitness level was on par with some in the classes and it surprised me!So i think i could try doing a few WODs like 2x or 3x a week and let my body rest.

Randy i guess ur right hehe,what do u think about this? : http://www.projectswole.com/weight-t...o-gain-muscle/

Last edited by Alex Phongsvat : 05-24-2010 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

To complex, no OLy too many assisstant lifts for a novice and you squat only once a week.

Do SS or just the strength portion of CFFB.