CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-04-2006, 10:12 PM   #1
James Montana

Profile:
Ok, so I've been inactive for over a month now and going completely nuts. Headaches, dizzyness, etc continue so it could be weeks to months before I'm back in action.

Anyone have experiences trying light light light crossfit workouts while recovering from a head injury?

Is it even worth it?

I feel like I'm dying over here! ;)

My body wants a head transplant!

Old 10-04-2006, 10:19 PM   #2
Andy Shirley

Profile:
No.

and No.

Don't mess around with head injuries.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:08 AM   #3
Joe Celso

Profile:
hmm- i'm not a doctor, but i've had a few concussions. a month off? i would think you could do something. it's all how you feel, really.

my last concussion (by far my most serious) yielded a 6-8 hour block that i have absolutely zero recollection of, followed about 3 days of being mostly dizzy and unable to think very well. i took about 10 days completely off of anything physical.

shoot a basketball or something safe like that involving focus, coordination and movement. i think you'll find that you'll get better quicker. then start real easy by taking your time through a standard CF warm up and progress from there each day... just like a CF newbie.

bottom line is do what you feel you can do and slow down if you're dizzy.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:25 AM   #4
Joe Celso

Profile:
oh wait - you're still dizzy and headaching? well, definitely take your time. make sure you're focus is better. play some video games, then maybe ping pong while seated, then standing, THEN shoot some hoops or play catch with a nerf. i still think if you "exercise" your focus then it will come back faster.

obviously, i've hit my head a few times so take what i say with a grain of salt.

i have a buddy that knocked himself silly once and he complained of being dizzy for a LONG time (months)... he might still have a blind spot. his recovery was likely quite inactive and probably included beer. that was about 5 years ago and he's a bit wiser now. i'll have to ask him what he thinks.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:29 AM   #5
Joe Celso

Profile:
shoot - i pushed the wrong button... see, i'm still confused.

i meant to add that if in any "focus exercise" you start to get a headache, then stop for the day and rest.