CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
Sean McLeod

Profile:
powerlifter looking to make it to regionals

im looking to make it to regionals next year but i think i need some help with programming. Right now im coming to the end of my current training cycle and thinking its the perfect time to change it up and make a valid attempt to try and become a full on "crossfiter". I need to maintain and maybe add a few pounds on my mainlifts, currently i have a 605 deadlift, 420 bench and 585 squat, so i would like to keep those lifts right around there, i know they will drop a little but i would like to keep that to a minimum.

I need to improve on the oly lifts, my current snatch is 185 :/ and a 305 clean and jerk

But the thing that needs the most work is my work capacity/cardio, ive done a few benchmark wods and my times were 2:29 grace, 8:27 DT, 5:15 fran

and then there is my diet, since ive been training for purely strength and size im currently right around 280, but i think the weight will come off pretty fast since ive never really "dieted", ill probably do a paleo style diet with added sweet potatos around training time and then none on off days

any advice on how to program? i have an idea but would like to hear others thoughts
Old 09-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
Andrew Bell

Profile:
Re: powerlifter looking to make it to regionals

Might want to check out AJ Roberts old blog. He made that switch with the same hopes.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
Sean McLeod

Profile:

Hes what made me want to try it out. but he hasnt updated his log in about a year
Old 09-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Getting to Regionals means getting through the Open, you are currently EXACTLY opposite of what is best suited to get through Regionals unfortunately.

You will need to work in the 7-20 minute time range a lot. Do you run? I think you should do an AM 20-30 min run probably 3x/week.

Definitely keep your strength programming in there, maybe squat 2x/week, press 1x and work oly 2x could combine the WL and PL days...The Snatch is obviously a technique issue, find a coach to hammer the Oly Lift technique down for you (a good coach).

To be a CF'er you do not need to add on a few pounds to your PL, you do for your Snatch though! Right now your numbers surpass everyone that makes it to the Games for each PL as far as I know, I could be wrong. But that won't help you at all at the Open Level. You don't want to be just another strength guy crushed by a workout with an endless number of a lift at 75# + box jumps, + KTE for example.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Sean McLeod

Profile:

I was thinking something like

Monday: 531 squat followed by hill sprints or prowler sprints

Tuesday: mobility, oly lifting, wod

Wednesday: mobility, oly lifting, then either wod or run

Thursday: mobility, active recovery like sled dragging

Friday: 531 deads and pressing then hill sprints or prowler sprints

Saturday: mobility and longer wod

Sunday: active recovery or off

Ill also add skill work for about 10 mins during each day for warm ups. Mainly double unders, hamdstands and pistols
Old 09-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Personally if I were coaching you, we'd drop the deads, save that time for more front squat or hbbs or leg intensive WODs. Of course if you really love dead lifting you might convince me to program it for you once or twice a month, maybe.

Also we'd spend a lot of time doing clean pulls and snatch pulls this far out so we'd want to do dead lifts from a clean setup primarily.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Sean McLeod

Profile:

Ok thanks. Maybe just change it or for front squats or make it another oly day?
Old 09-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
Michael Cook

Profile:

Your PL stats are impressive. But your other stats: snatch is 185, and a 305 clean and jerk, 2:29 grace, 8:27 DT, 5:15 fran tells me that if you want to make it to regionals, you will need to improve your cardio and improve snatch technique.

You can look at the crossfit games website games.crossfit.com (wfs) (mostly) and look at what is in the open workouts, and look at how well regional qualifiers were doing to get an idea of how close you are to your goal.

To be good enough at the open to make it to regionals, you'll need to be proficient at these skills: snatch, box jumps, double unders, muscle ups, toes to bar, chest to bar pull ups.

You can also look at these sites: competitorswod.com and tzstrength.com for some programming ideas. both are wfs
Old 09-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

You are 280 lbs and want to be a CrossFitter but don't want your best bench, squat, and dead to go down much? You do realize you will have to get down to about 220 lbs or less to be competitive at a high level in CrossFit (unless you are very tall, then maybe a bit more)?
Old 09-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
Sean McLeod

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
You are 280 lbs and want to be a CrossFitter but don't want your best bench, squat, and dead to go down much? You do realize you will have to get down to about 220 lbs or less to be competitive at a high level in CrossFit (unless you are very tall, then maybe a bit more)?
Well like I said in the original post I know its going to go down but I would like to keep it at a minimum. I would say ultimately I would like to compete around 230. Im about 6'2 so I would say slightly above average. I got down to about 250 then the PL bug bite me again and I wanted to get as big and strong as I could get. So now im back to square one. oh well you live and learn.