CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 01-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
Reid Peryam

Profile:
Two months in and starting to feel more comfortable

I started Crossfit the monday after Thanksgiving; first 4 days were just intro classes but I had to take naps after work the following day in order to recover I was so wiped from the baby WODs.

My most apparent weakness was my Vo2Max. I'm not going to use Denver's altitude as an excuse but I could not breathe at all during any met con. I decided I was going to improve my capacity and output ASAP.

So since then I have done 6 days a week (one week I did 5) at 5:30am with a couple of two a days mixed in (mostly lifting, skills, jump rope as second workout). I get good sleep and eat strict Paleo (was primal before crossfit) so recovery has been sufficient. There was one week (last week) where I had over trained and my body just broke down. I felt old, slow and exhausted. I had no desire to even do a WOD even though I showed up for them; I felt sorry for myself while I was doing them. I took two days off though and then it was all better; I was surprised.

After that I started supplementing with a handful of 1000 IUs of Vitamin D a day and it feels like I am on rocket fuel. I no longer feel sorry for myself half way through an ugly WOD, I get angry.

yesterday I did my first 500m row at 1:29 and today I did jonestown sprint in 3:57 (no resting!). Nothing impressive but I can feel my capacity growing and my weakness being less debilitating; I have turned a corner.

My only regret so far is discovering Crossfit when I was thirty (instead of 20). I feel as though I coulda been a fire breather we'll see how far I get now!

With my VO2 getting better I am confident in my ability to progress. I don't care as much about met con performance as body comp and strength. Those are my immediate focuses moving forward.

Thanks for reading - want to give a shout out to my box Crossfit Lodo and my new favorite people Georgia Maxey and Grayson Strange. This box is tight.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
Ted Apollo

Profile:
Re: Two months in and starting to feel more comfortable

welcome to the boards!

and i'm glad your getting such good results from crossfit. keep it up
Old 01-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

Just for the record (and just my opinion) - being a firebreather is a mental thing, not a physical one. There's a link to people with amputations doing Crossfit - they're not going to win the games, but you better believe those people are firebreathers.

If you keep going no matter how much you want to quit, if you push yourself always to do the best you know you can do, if you don't let your mind (or other people/situations) limit what you can do, if you are constantly going further than you did yesterday with drive and focus - you're a firebreather.

Also - nice testimonial. Keep up the good work!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
Reis Baron

Profile:

Reid:

So great to see someone who started basically the same time I did becoming just as addicted to CF as I am. I completed CF Elements in November and haven't looked back. Also a big Rocky Mountain shout-out as I lived in the Boulder area for 7 years until moving to the northeast, where I now do CF in NYC.

What I will say for what it's worth, is that there are rest days for a reason. You are not helping your body by jumping straight into 5 day weeks or double WOD days. Be aware of how much rest is a necessary component of your body's recovery. That overworked feeling happened for a reason...listen to your body...you will get farther with a 4-WOD week and a rest day vs. a 5-WOD week where you're underperforming on multiple WODs because your body can't keep up with your excitement.

I feel like on some level I shouldn't be preachy, as I have a long way to go before I would consider myself fit, but I almost injured myself in week 3, and I was so ****ed at myself for risking what might have been weeks of benefit because I pushed myself too hard.

OK, I'm not good at box jumps so I'll launch off my soapbox now .

Keep up the excitement, and the good work!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Just chiming in to say hey, I started the exact same time you guys did. November 23rd, 2010 for me. Was my first class, I knew NOTHING about crossfit, and just jumped in headfirst, from a free class on base on the 23rd, to doing it on my own at a crossfit friendly globo the month of December, to joining a local affiliate this month.

After getting into better shape and losing a lot of weight using home videos (P90X and Insanity), I never felt like they were for me, or that I could do them forever, and was looking for more variety in them as I went on. So I'm no champ at the affiliate yet, and have yet to do a workout as Rx'd (but I've gotten above the girls RX'd weight a few times, so I'm getting there!) but I just enjoy this so much I'm trying to get all my friends/family doing it to!
Old 01-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
Justin Heller

Profile:

Way to go man, I'm 6 months in and I'm amazed with the progress I've made. 1:29 500m row is awesome by the way! I'm still trying to break the 1:30 mark, getting very close.