CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 01-22-2011, 12:32 AM   #1
Steve Mowery

Profile:
My Beginning.....

Here's a testimonial that I wrote for my Box.....

My experience with the Crossfit Beaufort team has been nothing less than exceptional. I started working out with this fine group of people in May of 2010.
Since my service in the United States Marine Corps was completed in September of 2002, as much as it pains me to say it, I let myself go…..a lot. After sustaining a knee injury that required surgery, and thus ending my Marine Corps career, I was not motivated, and did not keep myself in shape. Over the course of several years I had reached over 300 pounds! One day I was looking in the mirror, and didn’t recognize the man staring back at me. I couldn’t believe that I had let myself go as much as I had, I became disgusted and ashamed of what I had become.
I realized that it was time to change, and not just for my sake.
I have been in civilian law enforcement for about 5 years now. In my line of work, lives could depend on my physical ability. By letting myself go I was putting my fellow officer’s and the public at risk. To me that was unacceptable. I decided that it was time for a change. I started to walk and run sporadically, but it wasn’t enough. I was losing a few pounds here and there but was not getting the results that I wanted.
In May of 2010 I met with some friends that were doing this “new thing” called Crossfit. When they explained to me what it was all about, I told them that there was NO WAY I could do any of the workouts in the shape that I was in. I hadn’t done a Pull-Up since I was in the Marine Corps, many years and too many pounds ago!!
Once I finally got enough courage to finally go to a workout I was greeted by the “Gym Rats”, which was the original group of Crossfitters that worked out at the BCSO gym. I was greeted by Teddy Binette, and he explained what the Crossfit program was about. He introduced me to “Cindy”. I won’t go into detail about the Cindy workout, as I do not want to take anything away from the explanation but let’s just say it was great!!!
While I was finishing “Cindy” I watched as the others went on with their “WOD” (Workout of the Day) and seeing the atmosphere and the fact that after their workout, even though they were worn out, they were happy about what they just finished doing. The camaraderie was also a great aspect of it. It was then that I realized I wanted to be a part of this group, and it would be what I needed to get my life back on track.
When I got into the WOD’s after my first week, I was getting my butt kicked. But when it was explained that the only person I was “competing” against was myself. That was a big help to me. The fact that Crossfit workouts can be modified for your level of fitness, but you can still workout alongside people that are a lot younger than you and in much better shape is great.
I started hitting the gym with the Gym Rats on a regular basis and lost a considerable amount of weight. It has helped my career and self image immensely. To date I have lost 40 pounds and feel great. I can now look in the mirror and know I am making a difference in my life. I still have a long road ahead of me, and with the help of the Crossfit Beaufort crew, there is no doubt that I will make it.
To anyone thinking about starting Crossfit just remember, a wise man once said “The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step”. Don’t wait too long to make your first step.

Steven Mowery