CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 09-03-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
Michael J Edwards

Profile:
Are These Goals Realistic?

So I am really committing myself for the last 4 months of 2010. I have set some pretty lofty goals for myself. (Especially considering I'd like to shed some BF, or at least maintain current Bodyfat and add a bit of muscle) I want to set my sights high but not so high that I get discouraged when I don't meet them. So here they are let me know if these are in the realm of attainable by mostly Crossfit WOD's with some extra strength stuff thrown in here and there:

(Stats are 6'0", 210lbs, 14% BF or so. I am not a genetic freak by any means and since I have been working out for a few years I don't have the noob advantage of gaining.)

Current Numbers:

-Bench: 215 lbs
-Squat: 275 lbs
-Deadlift: 335 lbs
-Squat Clean: 185 lbs
-Split Jerk: 165 lbs
-100 Burpees: Not attempted but I can do 50 in 4 minutes.
-Strict Pullups: 9

1/1/2011 Goals:

-Bench: 240 lbs
-Squat: 335 lbs
-Deadlift: 425 lbs
-Squat Clean: 225 lbs
-Split Jerk: 225 lbs
-100 Burpees: 8 minutes
-Strict Pullups: 20
Old 09-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
Brock Cochran

Profile:
Re: Are These Goals Realistic?

I don't think those are unrealistic goals. As the saying goes, "If you shoot for the moon and don't reach it at least you got to the stars". I'm a similar body as you, same height weight, and I think I might have 14%-15% BF and I would be proud to reach those goals.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J Edwards View Post
Current Numbers:

1/1/2011 Goals:

Hi Michael,

So we know

-what you want to do
-the general timeframe (4 months) you plan to do it in

What is left to know is your nutritional path and the sequencing of workouts you are planning to do to meet those goals.

Justin
Old 09-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You'll probably need a strength-biased program to see those kind of gains in the next 4 months. They're very doable if you don't really care about conditioning so it's going to be about what kind of balance you're looking for. Improving technique will help some, but I'd say adding 60lbs to your squat and jerk and 90lbs to your deadlift isn't going to happen in 4 months with standard CF unless someone is a complete novice.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J Edwards View Post
So I am really committing myself for the last 4 months of 2010. I have set some pretty lofty goals for myself. (Especially considering I'd like to shed some BF, or at least maintain current Bodyfat and add a bit of muscle) I want to set my sights high but not so high that I get discouraged when I don't meet them. So here they are let me know if these are in the realm of attainable by mostly Crossfit WOD's with some extra strength stuff thrown in here and there:

(Stats are 6'0", 210lbs, 14% BF or so. I am not a genetic freak by any means and since I have been working out for a few years I don't have the noob advantage of gaining.)

Current Numbers:

1/1/2011 Goals:

The bench and squat, absolutely. The olympic lifts, if you work on the technique really hard, you should be able to. Burpees yes.

Only one that I think might be pretty tough is the strict pullups, but if you work hard enough, you never know
Old 09-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
Jon Houle

Profile:

I was gonna say the squat and deadlift goals might be hard. But I'm a little guy (and hard gainer) so what do I know :P.

Oly lifts, I've seen guys your size with similar strength as you put up numbers close to your goals. Before my knee injury I was putting up similar numbers as yours @ 150# so I definitely see this happening for you with the right practice and focus. I think it's really technique dependent.

Program wise, I don't know what you're following, but you may want to try CF football. Worked for me to help gain a nice amount of strength in a short (4 months-ish like your plan) of time. It's much more periodized then CF main page. A lot more specificity (always good when shooting for specific goals IMO) biased towards strength. As a suggestion, the amateur WODs worked well for me even though I've been hitting the weights for many year.

And, as one of the OPs said, food is super important, that's always my biggest failing.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Jon Houle : 09-13-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

I can give a suggestion on at least one of those.

I did the Armstrong Pull-up program and increased my pull-ups from 8-12 in 6 weeks. You might not get to 20; but I bet you'd get pretty dang close.

http://www.savannahstate.edu/cost/nr...e15_5-2-10.pdf (wfs)
Old 01-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
David MacDonell Tallman

Profile:

I would like to regurgitate a bit of my life if I can, and then comment on your goals.

I am 56 yrs old and in the 80's (ya, I know some of you weren't even born yet), I was a powerlifter and bodybuilder. I was moving insane weight and it took its tole. My body type isn’t made to weigh 250 lbs. I have had 6 surgeries on my knees, one on my shoulder and I'm just at the tail end of recovering from a blown bicep (moving a desk....figure that). In the past years I have just about given up on exercise because of the pain. My son is a top competitor in CO. so I finally decided to give it a try. I am very OCD about my health. I've been doing it since 10/2010 and I am hooked. Ya, I got a lot of pain but I have never felt better mentally and physically. I want to compete just once in the masters division. Don't plan on doing very well, but my first goal is just to compete one time. I have to get my knees replaced, but with the technology these days you can bet your sweet bippy I will compete again and look out.

I guess I would like to say is...set your sights one goal at a time. When you accomplish one, step up and set them higher. Goals are made to accomplish and then set higher. One small step at a time. This is a sport that anyone can do and get good at it. Anyone who calls this a sissy sport.....get in the ring and do it. After you pick your dead *** off of the carpet, try talking again. I'm not letting anything hold me back and neither should you. Good luck.