CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-27-2008, 04:33 AM   #1
Jason Hogue

Profile:
Meal Replacements and Protien Shakes

I read the thread about eating before WOD in the morning. I am in Iraq on a FOB and have a varying schedule. Some mornings my workout or my schedule does not allow me to make it to breakfast. I have always been big on eating breakfast. I always eat after working out though.

Two questions?
Does my body need food in the morning prior to weightlifting?

Are meal replacements and/or protein shakes a decent option for morning nutrition?

I have never used any supplements, drank protein shakes, or used any meal replacements before. What meal replacements or protein shakes work for you?

Jason
Old 04-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
Re: Meal Replacements and Protien Shakes

I often work out before eating in the morning, since I don't like working out on a full stomach. Seems to work out just fine for me. Give it a shot.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Meal replacements and protein shakes are things you should use as a last resort. You want to eat real, whole food, don't eat bar codes (anything that comes in a wrapper). I find that they normally contain a good amount of sugar, which is bad, but they are better than eating grains. That being said, I used to have a whey protein shake with 2 cups of 2% low fat milk immediately post-workout(it's low fat because that's what my mom buys...can't make her buy a different one). Although I ditched the shake for whole foods, I did like it and saw good gains with it. Don't use Muscle Milk because it has a load of saturated fat and sugar....it's more like a glorified milk shake.

Black box it to see if you need food in the morning. If you perform better without food Pre-workout, then don't eat anything. If not, eat something.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
Kyle Dokken

Profile:

There are some excellent MRP's that you can work into your daily micros. More specifically SAN infusion has the best balance of good fats, protein, low carbs. There are others but this is the best I have found for overall quality, and adaptable. On paper yes it is great to always consume whole foods, but in the real world packing in six meals(or whatever theory you practice) is made much easier if you are running 14 hour days by supplements. Calories in , calories out.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/san/infusion.html (safe link)

Here is the cheapest place to buy ANY supplements and it has great articles on nutrition, training etc. Contact them since you are in the military they will give you at least another 10%+ off.

I wakeup at 5:00 am and workout at 6:30 , first thing I do is makeup a shake and slam it. I fail to see the logic in working out when your muscles haven't been fed in over eight hours as is, alas.

Last edited by Kyle Dokken; 04-27-2008 at 07:54 PM..
Old 04-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
Chris Robinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
Don't use Muscle Milk because it has a load of saturated fat and sugar....it's more like a glorified milk shake.
Muscle Milk only has 4g of sugar and 6g of saturated fat per serving. The Collegiate version has 5g of sugar and 2.5g of saturated fat. I can maybe see the 6g of saturated fat constituting a "load of saturated fat", but I hardly consider the other amounts high.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
Caleb Thomas

Profile:

Lately I've been making shakes in the morning for time. Here's what works for me: Whole milk, whey, apple, almond butter or natural peanut butter, 2-3 raw eggs, and a few ice cubes.

I don't know what you have there but I feel a lot better working out on a stomach with something in it. I really feel like I can push it more.

I couldn't workout right after this shake though. It's pretty filling. I usually won't feel hungry at all for a few hours.

If you can't at least get a shake in at least down a huge glass of water. Your body doesn't turn on right without your stomach getting stimulated in some way.

Last edited by Caleb Thomas; 04-27-2008 at 09:15 PM..
Old 04-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
Stacy Sells

Profile:

If you're in the desert I would say eat the best that is available whenever it is available and make up what you are lacking with some decent protein powder.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Thomas View Post
Lately I've been making shakes in the morning for time. Here's what works for me: Whole milk, whey, apple, almond butter or natural peanut butter, 2-3 raw eggs, and a few ice cubes.
(Highlighting is mine, not Caleb's)

What's your best time so far?

- Mark
Old 04-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #9
Caleb Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
(Highlighting is mine, not Caleb's)

What's your best time so far?

- Mark
I have no idea how I missed that. Since Crossfit, I can never say or think "for time" with out thinking about WOD's. Good one.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #10
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Thomas View Post
I have no idea how I missed that. Since Crossfit, I can never say or think "for time" with out thinking about WOD's. Good one.