CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
Ben Norris

Profile:
Westside Strength Gains?

Feel free to smack me down for this question as I know there is no ACCURATE answer. I am merely looking for some opinions

Once I get out of Basic training for the army I am going to do Westside to the letter. (I know this makes Chris very happy )

What I am looking for is a rough estimate of how much strength I can put on in each time frame. This will give me a rough idea of how long I will need to do Westside before I transition into Outlaw.

So doing PURE Westside how much strength can I look at putting on in

6 months
12 months
18 months
24 months

I currently weigh 175 pounds at 5 foot 9 at 19 years of age. I am willing to put on AS MUCH WEIGHT as necessary to get as strong as possible.

I will be taking AtLargenutrition supplements and fish oil.

My Current numbers are

Squat 285
Deadlift 345
Bench 185
SP 125

Cheers guys
Old 06-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Jared Aquilina

Profile:
Re: Westside Strength Gains?

just follow starting strength or any similar linear progression model.

At your age, your size, and MOST notably, your willingness to gain weight...then I see tremendous gains in just 3 months!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
Feel free to smack me down for this question as I know there is no ACCURATE answer. I am merely looking for some opinions

Once I get out of Basic training for the army I am going to do Westside to the letter. (I know this makes Chris very happy )

What I am looking for is a rough estimate of how much strength I can put on in each time frame. This will give me a rough idea of how long I will need to do Westside before I transition into Outlaw.

6 months
12 months
18 months
24 months

I currently weigh 175 pounds at 5 foot 9 at 19 years of age. I am willing to put on AS MUCH WEIGHT as necessary to get as strong as possible.

My Current numbers are

Squat 285
Deadlift 345
Bench 185
SP 125

Cheers guys
Ben, my numbers went up very quickly. In a 3 month period, my numbers went from:

Bench: 165--->215
Press: 125--->150
Squat: 265--->345
Deadlift: 295--->365

I've been on a cut for a while now, so I'm just trying to maintain my strength, which is working well. Once I drop my bodyfat under 15%, then I'll switch to maintenance and begin building up my strength again.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Ryan Dell Whitley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Ben, my numbers went up very quickly. In a 3 month period, my numbers went from:

Bench: 165--->215
Press: 125--->150
Squat: 265--->345
Deadlift: 295--->365
Ben, you would get much better numbers than this from doing a program based on a linear progression. I promise that if you eat a lot, do three full body workouts a week, and add weight to the bar every time you walk in the gym you will be a monster in three months.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Dell Whitley View Post
Ben, you would get much better numbers than this from doing a program based on a linear progression. I promise that if you eat a lot, do three full body workouts a week, and add weight to the bar every time you walk in the gym you will be a monster in three months.
You can get strong as hell on Westside also if you eat a lot. I was eating for maintenance and I had very good gains. Not everyone is trying to get fat. That is dumb. You can get pretty strong while staying lean.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post

6 months
12 months
18 months
24 months

My Current numbers are

Squat 285
Deadlift 345
Bench 185
SP 125

Cheers guys
In a year you should be able to move all of those by 100+ lbs. If not, you are doing something wrong.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
Bob Herald

Profile:

I like Jim wendlers theory of slow consistent gains over a lifetime. Adding 100+ pounds to all your lifts in a year is not realistic or sustainable. Keep in mind that most if the lifters at westside barbell are overfat, and on anabolic steroids (as stated by Louie simmons on the documentary "bigger, faster, stronger").
Old 06-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #8
Mike Jenkins

Profile:

First off eating A LOT won't do what you want it to do unless its a lot of the right foods. Being that youre so young you will inevitably see gains if you stick to any sound strength program and diet. Its easy to burn out on Westside, its not for everyone.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
Ryan Dell Whitley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
In a year you should be able to move all of those by 100+ lbs. If not, you are doing something wrong.
You'd put 100+ lbs on most of your lifts in six months or less if you're a novice on a linear progression. Save the Westside stuff for whenever you get to a point that you can't keep adding weight to the bar every time you walk in the gym.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #10
Paul hennessey

Profile:

hey sorry to insert another question, and this is i think my second post so please go easy on me ..

i'v read just about all i can get my hands on from Louie and watched all the videos and kinda mocked up my own version of what i could make from it, and it's obviosley an amazing way to train (also watched chris bell's doco so i know what the previous poster was talkin bout)..

Just wondering when u say following Westside to a T, what does ur program look like?.. could u post a link or just a simple cut a paste?..

Cheers