CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
Richard Bizick

Profile:
Posterior Shoulder Pain

I'm not really sure if my shoulder is injured or if it is just sore. Last Friday we had the WOD with 30 rep 75# snatches/wall balls. It has been some time since I've really done snatches as the university I currently attend for grad school frowns upon olympic lifting although I get away with doing cleans (FWIW the school I attended as an undergrad was olympic lifting friendly). Anymore, if I want to snatch I have to wait until I'm home where I have my own set up. As a consequence, my snatch form does suffer due to lengthly periods of time between snatching. Unfortunately, I don't have any videos to post but I can answer some questions about it if helps answer my question. Now on to my shoulder problem.

My shoulder pain is located in the back of my right shoulder. I can pinpoint it to about 1 inch above the point where my right arm connects to my back. I'm not entirely sure what muscle this is. For the most part I'm pain free, BUT I do notice pain when my arms are extended in an overhead squat position (I held a PVC pipe to test it out earlier), when pull my arm back like I'm about to grip the bar and back squat, and when I'm lying on my left side in bed and grab my comforter and pull it in front of me. Any ideas as to what muscle I may have aggravated??
Old 07-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Posterior Shoulder Pain

If you want a real diagnosis, see an orthopedic doc.

If you want a guess by myself, we can do that..

1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.

2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt?
http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?

4. Acute or chronic? What date was onset?

5. Any previous injury history?

6. How's your posture?

7. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?

8. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?

9. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.

10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?

11. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?

12. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?

Sounds a bit like your external rotator cuff muscles... but we'll see
Old 07-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
Richard Bizick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
If you want a real diagnosis, see an orthopedic doc.

If you want a guess by myself, we can do that..

1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.

2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt?
http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?

4. Acute or chronic? What date was onset?

5. Any previous injury history?

6. How's your posture?

7. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?

8. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?

9. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.

10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?

11. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?

12. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?

Sounds a bit like your external rotator cuff muscles... but we'll see
I would love to see an orthopedic doc, but I'm headed to beach here in a day and then flying from there to my rotation I have for pharmacy school. But here goes:

1. I'll get a picture tomorrow after work. For now I'll answer the rest of the questions.

2. Transverse Abduction was the only movement that really caused any pain and this occurred towards then end of the movement.

3. Mostly an ache. Can be a bit sharp once when I move it and the muscle is affected. For the most part I'm pain free but I do notice certain moviements that hurt my shoulder. To be totally honest, I'm also feeling some slight pain in my right trap as well

4. Acute. 7/22/11

5. Had a possible minor tear in the supraspinatus when I was junior in high school (about 2001 or 2002ish). Pain was mostly in the anterior portion of my shoulder. Doc was unsure and said what he saw could have just been the dye. Stopped playing baseball there and started running track and ended up sprinting in college. Started lifting once track season was over, shoulder was 100%.

6. Posture is good at times, bad at others...whats nice with my job now is I'm only my feet moving around. All of my classroom work is over and my posture there wasn't too great at times, but when I caught myself I corrected it. FWIW docs have commented that I have excellent curvature in my spine. However, I know things can be better bc I do get tightness in my neck/upper back, but I use mwod to try to help these problems.

7. No specific work for my shoulders. Follow the mainsite WODs. Work on my weaknesses. Albeit shoulder pressing strength is one mine, one of the few people who's clean and jerk is limited by their jerk strength. As a result I have been doing more shoulder work than I normally have done in the past. Maybe too much too fast? Days off I do multiple WODs throughout the day.

8. For the most part no. I did do Helen a few days after but I didn't seem to affect it much. Other than that, I have been avoiding shoulder work.

9. Seems to be deep on the muscle, not so much on the joint.

10. Nothing is overly tight. I have full ROM. No swelling.

11. I did ice for a few days. Ibuprofen 800 mg q8hr x 1 day. Started diesel crew's shoulder rehab today with a 10# plate and worked some lacrosse balls in both my shoulders.

12. Not sure if it is pertinent, but my acromion is a type 3

Hope this helps.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

How did the exercises in DC rehab feel?

Which ones hurt? Which ones were uncomfortable?

It's possible that you just have a tight or strained rotator cuff... DC shoulder exercises for rehab might be a decent idea but need a bit more infos
Old 07-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
Richard Bizick

Profile:

Quote:
How did the exercises in DC rehab feel?

Which ones hurt? Which ones were uncomfortable?

It's possible that you just have a tight or strained rotator cuff... DC shoulder exercises for rehab might be a decent idea but need a bit more infos
The DC exercises felt fine. They were light (i used a 10# plate) and did the 1st circuit. I also did some stick dislocates that felt decent. I did notice a little pain in them however. I also tried a few PVC OHS to see how the shoulder felt when my arm was extended. I did notice pain in the back of my shoulder while my arms were extended.

I also did quite a bit of general foam rolling and lacrosse ball work. I especially focused on my shoulder shoulders last night.

Most of today I was pain free, but I'm feeling some pain set here later in the day. Additionally, I noticed I felt some pain in the back of my shoulder along with my while opening the car door and pushing it open. I did notice some pain also in the lateral portion of my right arm near the lateral head of my triceps brachii.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Take a day off or two... lots of soft tissue work is equivalent to exercise so let it heal up and then see where you are.

Avoid the painful exercises too
Old 07-29-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
Richard Bizick

Profile:

Quote:
Take a day off or two... lots of soft tissue work is equivalent to exercise so let it heal up and then see where you are.

Avoid the painful exercises too
Will do. Hopefully this helps things.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Richard Bizick

Profile:

Once my shoulder is pain free which I suspect will be sometime in the next week, what is the general way of getting back into things and making sure my shoulder is 100%?
Old 07-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Continue with some more of isolation work to stabilize shoulder, start working back into light compounds over the course of a week or two.

Next one or two weeks should be focusing on gaining strength back with compounds.

After that you can play around with explosive work on the shoulder IF it feels ok.

Mobility et al is obviously a good idea regardless.

I personally don't like saying things above in general without a diagnosis though.. so that's just some generalized stuff if the shoulder responds fine to it.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:37 AM   #10
Richard Bizick

Profile:

Quote:
Continue with some more of isolation work to stabilize shoulder, start working back into light compounds over the course of a week or two.

Next one or two weeks should be focusing on gaining strength back with compounds.

After that you can play around with explosive work on the shoulder IF it feels ok.

Mobility et al is obviously a good idea regardless.

I personally don't like saying things above in general without a diagnosis though.. so that's just some generalized stuff if the shoulder responds fine to it.
When you say gain strength back with compounds, are you are referring to things like the squat, DL, etc? And explosives would be the olympic lifts and their variations?

Thanks for all your input. I appreciate it!