CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 12-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
Steve Hutchins

Profile:
Getting back into "it": Hutch's workout log.

A few years ago, I managed to lose a substantial amount of weight after sustaining a football career-ending back injury. It was one of those situations where I either submitted to getting surgery to temporarily fix the injury, or losing around 70 pounds to permanently fix the problem. Around 9 months later, after trying different things, I managed to drop from 240 pounds to around 170.

After undergoing that kind of transformation, the main question I was asked was “How did you do that?” While sitting here, two years later, it seems very simple to say that “Dieting and exercise” really was all I did, attempting to repeat the same kind of transformation is one of those situations where the phrase “easier said than done” comes to mind. I forgot about the hours I spent in the gym and running on the roads of Webster really added up, and the time investment in a change like this is much more taxing than the emotional or physical investment involved. However, one week in, one thing seems to keep popping up in this time of getting my legs back beneath me and building my strength back up: this is something that I really enjoy. Call me crazy, but nothing beats running down the street on a 30-40 degree day or hang-cleaning a barbell.

So, I suppose now it’s appropriate to answer the question: “Why are you doing this all over again?” Apart from the fact that this is something that I am passionate about, the coming year is, perhaps, the most important year of my life. I’m graduating from college and pursuing the career that I have invested nearly 7 years of my life. I’ve also set a goal to begin training to run in a marathon sometime in the next calendar year; a goal that, if you had told me it 5 years ago, I would’ve laughed you out of the room for telling me. Steep ambitions, I know, but with the appropriate amount of time and devotion invested, it can be achieved.

Needless to say, however, it’s been exactly one week since I began really training. I have 3 runs and 4 WOD’s (Work-out Diaries) under my belt, and I think it’s safe to say that this week was a time of being humbled. While I have managed to maintain a constant pace and (happily) maintained three one-hour nonstop running sessions this week, it comes as no surprise that I am running at a slower pace and performing at a much lower level that I was back in 2008. Although that fact is harsh, I’m still happy at the fact that I can keep moving, and it shows vast potential for improvement in the near future.

In closing, this will be where I will keep a running log of my runs and workouts day-to-day. Just for clarification, I do a “4 days on, one day off, 2 days on, one day off” routine throughout the week. Until I’m 100% comfortable with a pace and speed, I will not run two days in a row. I expect in two or three weeks time, I’ll be able to run 2 or 3 days consecutively, but for the moment, it’s best to let my legs recover. Between run days, I’ll be doing CrossFit workouts, which I’ll outline the weights I use and the times I complete them in on a day-to-day basis.

Thanks for reading, and much more coming soon.