CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
Guy Erez

Profile:
Beginner007

Indeed.

October 12th, 2010.

Started working out.

Strength and Conditioning CFE WOD:

Scaled.. a lot.

1 set of 6 chinups, chest to bar and a few burpees (didn't really count, don't really know what AMRAP burpees mean).
1 set of 3 chinups chest to bar, and a little more burpees (more than the first set).

Needless to say I haven't trained for a while, and even then I wasn't built for speed, or aerobics, or anything including sports.. just slow weightlifting.

Well, although I scaled a lot.., I still felt like I'm gonna pass out, I think the person who took the workout area, pretty much saved my life, I wanted to go for set 3, was too tired so I wanted to take a little more time to rest.., and then I decided to give it up.

Conclusions-
1. I really really need to get in shape. or to shape.
2. Scale even more, to prevent passing out.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Beginner007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Erez View Post
1 set of 6 chinups, chest to bar and a few burpees (didn't really count, don't really know what AMRAP burpees mean).
1 set of 3 chinups chest to bar, and a little more burpees (more than the first set).
AMRAP always means the same thing - As Many Rounds/Reps As Possible. So in this case the CFE WOD is telling you to do max effort of as many burpees in 30 seconds as you can. It sort of sounds like you should be trying to do scaled versions of the mainsite WOD, my impression of CFE wods is that they are for the more advanced from a fitness perspective. The fact you you only got through two differently scaled rounds of a 5 round wod that is also intended to be paired with endurance workout, means that it wasn't scaled far enough...

Last edited by Rebecca Roth : 10-12-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
Guy Erez

Profile:

I scaled a lot, I thought it would be enough.

So your advice is to take the main-site WOD's for a while until I get into better shape?, and combine the main-site WOD's with 3+hours afterwards aerobic training from CFE?

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Erez View Post
I scaled a lot, I thought it would be enough.

So your advice is to take the main-site WOD's for a while until I get into better shape?, and combine the main-site WOD's with 3+hours afterwards aerobic training from CFE?

Thanks!
Not finishing the WOD means you didn't scale enough, the main point of scaling is generally to make it so that you are able to do the number of rounds and reps prescribed unless you are too far out of shape. If you can't do 30 chin-ups fresh, you shouldn't be trying to do that many standard chin ups in a WOD, most likely you would/should have been doing the same number of chin ups but with a band or even jumping pullups rather than trying to do them standard.. There's no shame in that.
If you are unable to complete the wod and you put in max effort, you shouldn't also be trying to add the endurance work or you are asking for injury/burnout. Even scaled, these workouts are meant to wipe you out regardless of fitness level, but even moreso if you aren't in shape.
Just keep at it, you are doing good regardless, you did more chin ups and burpees today than you did yesterday!
Old 10-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
Guy Erez

Profile:

Indeed, a few is more than 0 yesterday.

Okay I think I understand more about scaling now, its to try and complete the workout as prescribed, 50 reps and 5 sets for example, but if you cant complete 50 reps and 5 sets with X weight, you use X-20 weight, right?

So if I get it right, your advice is to do the main site WOD 3 days a week without separate endurance training, and gradually add endurance training, more workouts, and eventually do the CFE WOD with endurance training (running) for 5/2 a week.

Thanks a lot.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

You got it, that sounds much more reasonable. Have you seen the Brand-X site? They provide various levels of scaling for the mainsite wod every day (see the second post in each thread) - http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index..../viewforum/16/ WFS
Old 10-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
Guy Erez

Profile:

Wow that should really come in useful, thanks a lot!.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Scale and work your way up slowly. You've got a couple of years to play with before you join up. It's a good thing you discovered where you have issues and can address them now versus in Basic Training or Tironut . So just scale, work your way up, and keep at it. And keep us posted.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
Guy Erez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Amolat View Post
Scale and work your way up slowly. You've got a couple of years to play with before you join up. It's a good thing you discovered where you have issues and can address them now versus in Basic Training or Tironut . So just scale, work your way up, and keep at it. And keep us posted.
Thanks for the support.

Btw about the running issue, Rebecca offered to stop the endurance and agreed I should do it when I progress some more on the CF routine.
Yet thinking about it some more, I think I should incorporate some running in my workout, maybe like 3 normal CF WOD, one of them with a run 3+hours later.
And one run somewhere in the middle.

Then after progressing for a while, I will go on the routine you offered, with the ruck walk, and all that.

Thanks a lot, its a real great community here, each and every one of you guys and girls.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
Guy Erez

Profile:

October 17th, 2010.

Second workout, (After the first workout I did some workout at sport lesson, which got my triceps some real tough DOMS)

Today's WOD:

Puppy (minus) level:

warm up: a few minutes, about 600-700 meter run, this warm up got me quite tired as it seems.

2 rounds of:

10 assisted pull-ups (pretty wide grip, putting my legs on some ladder on the bottom part of it, which essentially means the pull-ups were pretty easy, except in the upper part of the movement).

15 knee raises-which were pretty easy, the only annoying part was that my back was shrugged holding myself (after doing the pullups)

10 burpees, and the second round 5 burpees, this is really probably the toughest part of my routine, they are really hard for me.

200-250 meter run.

took me about 12-13 minutes those 2 rounds.
Later on I tried working on my power clean, started with the rack position, when putting my elbows narrowed it hurt my wrists, putting the elbows a little farther it hurt my shoulders, but the shoulder pain really doesn't annoy me much, the main issue was the lack of flexibility, the bar seemed to always get to my neck (or vise versa), either that or it was too loose on my shoulders.
Didn't practice it much though, I was extremely exhausted.

After this whole whining scroll, it was a pretty good workout, It hurt pretty bad, and I'm looking forward to my next training session.