CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #21
Mike Mallory

Profile:
Re: GHDs can change your life

The elite FTS article is a little shortsighted......We don't want mummy's, we want athletes that are adaptable and strong in strange conditions.

Neutral spine is good, but flexion is healthy too.......football players still get hit from behind and need a strong RA......so SOME abdominal stuff like that is good.

But, to train a fast twitch muscle (RA) for 30+ reps in the GHD style is not training in stability or functionality, its just metabolic adaptations. I wouldn't do that, but maybe HQ has that exact goal in mind? I don't know-

abmat situps however, are about as dumb as doing bicep curls.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #22
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Quote:
The elite FTS article is a little shortsighted......We don't want mummy's, we want athletes that are adaptable and strong in strange conditions.

Neutral spine is good, but flexion is healthy too.......football players still get hit from behind and need a strong RA......so SOME abdominal stuff like that is good.

But, to train a fast twitch muscle (RA) for 30+ reps in the GHD style is not training in stability or functionality, its just metabolic adaptations. I wouldn't do that, but maybe HQ has that exact goal in mind? I don't know-

Some of us, however, don't have a choice when it comes to cutting situps out of our training programs. All military and quite a few law enforcement fitness tests I've heard of require situps as part of their training.

That being said, I use such exercises sparingly. Just my $.02.

Anyway, to the OP, I hope for the best for you. I'd always imagined Pendleton and Balboa are always hurting for Corpsmen.

Last edited by Carl Amolat : 09-28-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:05 AM   #23
Jason Ashman

Profile:

Ego is a bad, bad thing to bring to a WOD, sir.

Lesson learned.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:17 AM   #24
Scott Donchak

Profile:

I thought GHDs were supposed to be a hip flexor exercise? Obviously you'll end up using some abdominal strength, but the majority of the weight falls to your hip flexors if the form is correct. That's what I heard from my coach at the box anyway.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:36 AM   #25
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Amolat View Post
Some of us, however, don't have a choice when it comes to cutting situps out of our training programs. All military and quite a few law enforcement fitness tests I've heard of require situps as part of their training.

That being said, I use such exercises sparingly. Just my $.02.

Anyway, to the OP, I hope for the best for you. I'd always imagined Pendleton and Balboa are always hurting for Corpsmen.
I agree to some extent, although I've been able to maintain 100+ situps in 2:00 over the last 4 years or so without doing situps more than twice a month.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #26
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Donchak View Post
I thought GHDs were supposed to be a hip flexor exercise? Obviously you'll end up using some abdominal strength, but the majority of the weight falls to your hip flexors if the form is correct. That's what I heard from my coach at the box anyway.
Er, not really?

Locking the knees helps fix the pelvis via rectus femoris which actually decreases involvement of hip flexors and focuses it moreso on the abdominals..
Old 09-29-2010, 07:34 AM   #27
Scott Donchak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Er, not really?

Locking the knees helps fix the pelvis via rectus femoris which actually decreases involvement of hip flexors and focuses it moreso on the abdominals..
Hmm. Isn't that dangerous though? Isn't that an excessive amount of weight for the abdominals to handle?
Old 09-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #28
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mallory View Post

This is true too. The McKenzie stuff is very old and a lot of people have questioned it since then. I still like the analogy they use on EFS though.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #29
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Bachmann View Post
Agreed. Let's talk about sumo deadlift high pulls, knees to elbows, thrusters, and burpees to a 45 degree angle from the earth later.
Yeah, I've seen enough people get hurt from those
Old 09-29-2010, 01:35 PM   #30
Jesse Gray

Profile:

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...luteHam_SU.pdf WFS