CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
Brian Negrotto

Profile:
Eating Big?

Been lurking on this board for a while now and a topic that seems to come up quite a bit is hypertrophy. It seems that every time that comes up, a common response I hear is that it depends how you are eating. My situation is that I am not really looking for hypertrophy, one of my goals here in the near future is to complete an ultra so added weight is not a feature that I really want to have if its avoidable, but, I have no intentions of wanting to slim down to become that endurance machine that looks like they are in the latter stages of HIV. What I am not sure about is how do you walk the line of eating enough to ensure recovery, yet, not 'eating for hypertrophy' like I hear on the boards. It seems as though recovery from strength and conditioning training would lead to hypertrophy. Also, before Zone stuff gets thrown out there, I am deployed soldier, so that is next to impossible to 'count blocks', not to mention the last time I tried it I felt famished. Anyway, the hypertrophy, is this unavoidable? I am just misinterpretting things? I have no formal education in nutrition so by all means, insult my intelligence.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Eating Big?

If you're gaining weight and don't want to, eat less.

If you're consistently exhausted, eat more.

The reason why it comes up is because people are often so afraid of "getting fat" that they refuse to eat enough, and then they wonder why they can't recover from the workouts.

You can be plenty strong without getting "big:" look at gymnasts and climbers.

Katherine
Old 08-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
Brent Sallee

Profile:
Re: Eating Big?

Essentially, your body will regulate that on its own. If you're exercising regularly, your body has relatively good regulation of caloric intake and hunger feelings. If you're still feeling too sore, then eat a little bit past being full. Just listen to your body (both its hunger and its soreness) and go from there.