CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:08 AM   #81
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: What is the functionality of kipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
Love the Straw-Man arguments.

Get a new person to work up to 35 kips, then go do a giant on a set of rings ... oh, they can't, because being able to do 35 kips probably wouldn't have built up their strength or power enough to even attempt it.

Comparing kipping to a gymnastics ring routine is dumb.
Kipping is gymnastics...

Old 07-10-2010, 12:15 AM   #82
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
They do? My physics courses were a long time ago, but I don't remember strength appearing in any of the equations....
Try to read my entire post. We aren't talking about watts, we are talking about athletics. You are remembering your physics wrong, in any case.

P = I V = R I2 = V2 ⁄ R

Which is absolutely meaningless with regard to pullups.

I see Glassman is misquoted by a lot of CF'rs here with regards to power, as well. He talks about "work capacity" while many people are saying "work" which is not the same thing. Work capacity is a measure of many things, including strength. If you can't pick up 135 pounds, you can not complete any work on a 135 pound thruster exercise. Therefore your work capacity on that exercise is 0.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #83
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

You're talking about the Electric Power equation...current and voltage? resistance? This is like the twilight zone..and I ain't talking about vampires...

Old 07-10-2010, 12:51 AM   #84
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I'm sorry, but you just demonstrated that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Mechanical work is a fundamental physical concept, defined as I stated above. The reasons why it uses the same units as electrical work are too involved to go into here and aren't relevant to the thread anyway.

"Work capacity" is not a particularly challenging extension of this concept, it simply means the ability to perform work, where work is as defined above.

Work capacity of an individual is never zero unless the individual is dead. In the case of the 135 lb. thruster, the instrument being used (the barbell) simply is not sensitive enough to measure the individual's capacity. That's what scaling is for.

I think I'm done here.

Katherine

Last edited by Katherine Derbyshire : 07-10-2010 at 12:56 AM.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:55 AM   #85
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
You are remembering your physics wrong, in any case.

P = I V = R I2 = V2 ⁄ R
John, did you type in "power equation" into Google, and copy and paste the first result (which comes from wiki.answers.com)?

Quote:
Slamming out 21 fast, strict, DHPUs would require far more power and far more control than a kip (though this exercise would be out of reach of all but the most trained athletes, maybe making it unpalatable to mainstream CF'rs?).
You think 21 DHPU is for all but the most trained athletes? What a load of BS. What, is that the most you were ever able to do?

20 deadhangs is pretty much a baseline number for "okay, I see you can do pullups." It's like being able to clean your bodyweight -- congrats, now move on.

Quote:
And by the way, the 100 kipped pullups. 1st ANGLICO in 1994, it was a competition we had. Almost a dozen people got 100+ kipped pullups. Myself included, and I weighed 205 pounds at the time. It was not a "metcon," no one got tired, and it required very little comparative* strength other than grip strength. It was just a test of pain endurance, and it ripped our hands up pretty good.
Don't believe it.

Oh yeah, and considering that you're so big on correcting people about definitions of POWER and STRENGTH, you should know that high rep pullups don't require grip strength. They require grip endurance. There's a difference.

Last edited by Shane Skowron : 07-10-2010 at 01:02 AM.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:46 AM   #86
Patrik Tomasson

Profile:

Fair question. The guy who runs my affiliate explained it in terms thus. If you need to pull yourself on to something once or repeatedly, in terms of doing the task, it matters little whether you use momentum or not. Whatever works works. For most people using momentum is easier.

There's probably a skill element to kipping absent to deadhangs. I can bash out 20 unbroken deadhangs but find doing so with a kip much harder, and my rythym tends to fall off midway.

That said I have reservations about the effects of kipping on the shoulder joint.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:52 AM   #87
Camille Lore

Profile:  

I think the back and forth has probably gone on long enough.

Closed Thread