CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-17-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:
Starting Strength for a 50 year old man

My dad wants to lose weight (common thread today). He is 6'4" probably 250+ lbs. (body fat) and of a big stature. He is big boned (wrist grab thing) and broad shouldered. Looking at him, he looks like he could be an incredible power athlete.

I think SS would be good for him because its very little commitment (3 days a week) and he is naturally strong.

I am just concerned with how he should eat and deal with linear progression. Obviously he won't drink a gallon of whole milk a day, or move as quick as I did through the weights (10 lbs a day for squat).

For diet, I was thinking Paleo with maybe .5 gal of 2% Milk
For the weight, I don't know, I don't want to hurt him.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
Todd Rehm

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength for a 50 year old man

I don't know how much time you're going to be able to spend with your father on his diet, but my experience is that incremental change can work better in getting the diet of someone who is (a) older and more set in their ways; (b) not committed to a wholesale athletic lifestyle; or (c) married to someone who does a good bit of the cooking and will need to be consulted moving in the right directions.

Depending on his current diet and the lifestyle components, it might be tough to go paleo plus .5 gallon milk per day.

Generally speaking, the role milk plays in SS is additional nutrients for someone who needs to gain weight. It is very seldom suggested for someone who needs/wants to lose weight unless it's the only reasonable way for them to get the fat and protein. I probably wouldn't do it here unless your dad's already drinking a good bit or milk, or you start him on the program and it becomes clear that he needs more food but cannot eat more.

There is another website the name of which shall not be spoken here, but it's the first two words of your post title [dot com]. It's not always WFS but there's a good bit of information specifically for and by older folks working on SS.

As for the weights, start with five pound increases and see how it goes. From reading the older folks threads at that other site, it seems like you'll want to be careful to monitor his recovery. If he's unable to make the jumps or continue progressing, try adding additional rest or maybe going to a light/heavy or heavy/light/medium split or something along those lines. And consider the role of nutrition in the recovery process
Old 06-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

You realize there is an entire Ripp forum for Starting Strength, with even an "elderly section" for older folks (I think Rip jokingly refers to elderly as over 35-40).

Have you read the book, if so starting weight is explained. It is always better to go up each workout in smaller increments if there is any question.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
Renee Lee

Profile:

your father's goals are to lose weight. why do you think that throwing him on GOMAD or something similar is in line with his goals?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Agree with Renee, if he wants to just lose bf%. And he is currently inactive. Any amount of activity and cleaning up of diet will accomplish the goal. You can do barbell work, but don't pump him full of milk for no reason even a 1/2 gal.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I agree again. Make sure he eats, but I would let his appetite gauge the amount with strength training. I would focus more on quality for now. In 3-6 months, then you can start dialing in the amounts.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:

You need to spend more time on starting strength dot com, namely reading "a clarification" and the elderly forum.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
Zack Dunn

Profile:

In addition to Rip's forum, he has an entire chapter on "special populations" in his book Practical Programming For Strength Training. Please read that before you proceed.

One specific tidbit in there that will be important is the fact that folks at your father's age will tend to have issues with inflammation, so squatting heavy 3x a week will not be recommended.

(edit: formatting)
Old 06-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #9
Thomas Covington

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
In 3-6 months, then you can start dialing in the amounts.
Over-changing lifestyle can really turn someone off to it.