CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-30-2010, 12:55 AM   #11
Ian Nigh

Profile:
Re: barefoot squatting

just found this:
http://ericcressey.com/barefoot-training-guidelines (WFS)
He does not specify WHY he recommends shoes for the more quad-dominant movements... Thoughts?
Old 03-30-2010, 02:51 AM   #12
Johannes Aro

Profile:

I've also been thinking about the issue of lifting shoeless for some time. Because there are so few arguments for or against barefoot lifting, I think it is worth of an experiment. I just joined in and opened a workout log (wfs) where I will report about any problems or successes that will come up. At least after a few month's experience, I've seen no problems with going to the squat position without shoes even under heavy weight.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:18 AM   #13
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Anyone that follows my FB or Log on here, knows that I'm allergic to a lot of different kinds of shoes... so I'm forced into barefoot lifting. Seems fine to me... but the point on having a more stable foot in Olympic lifting shoes is the best reason I see to get shoes.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:21 AM   #14
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I prefer squatting in my Oly shoes. If I don't have them, then I squat in bare feet or vibrams.
Do you deadlift in your Oly shoes?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:18 AM   #15
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:

http://www.70sbig.com/?p=1066 SWF (maybe some language in there somewhere)
Old 03-30-2010, 07:31 AM   #16
Johannes Aro

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Allen Pagel View Post
That's a good link, but I'm not convinced. Their main claim for the weightlifting shoe seems to be

Quote:
The metatarsal strap helps reinforce your foot as well as holding your foot in place while it is in the shoes so it doesn’t slide around. The wide sole provides more stability via the increased surface area.
... but if you're not wearing any shoes, what's there to slide around? To my experience, bare foot against wood or rubber has more than enough friction, and it does not change when weights are added. And if you take the shoe off, you have virtually infinitely "increased surface area" to provide the stability they address to.

And by the way, how does the strapped shoe reinforce the foot?
Old 03-30-2010, 07:37 AM   #17
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I deadlift in flats. Most of the people I know who deadlift in oly shoes are quad dominant and the shoe allows them to use their quads more.

If I put my foot on the ground, I can move it around more than I can move in my Oly shoes. The skin has some play and the ankle and arch can move some. The shoe eliminates this.

As far as protection goes, it's not to protect you but the rest of us. The shoe keeps the blood off the platform.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #18
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

I would never use oly shoes to deadlift.. it almost seems like there is more distance for the bar to cover. Much, much more comfortable in flats or barefoot. For squats, cleans, snatches or any of the variations.. oly shoes for the win.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #19
Daniel Ricksecker

Profile:

I think the argument for oly shoes is that the straps and material above the foot actually assist in pressing your foot to the sole with down force and also secure them laterally. You can't really compare the ground to the sole as an infinite surface area. Perhaps if you set up little straps on the floor that you slide your feet under(which would be extremely dangerous), then the argument would be similar. But by fastening the straps to the top of your feet and applying pressure between your foot and the sole, you decrease the ability of the foot to role around in that space.

For people that can lift without shoes and still hit full ROM that's probably better for strengthening the ankles. But for folks like myself who have ankle mobility issues that prevent us from hitting depth barefoot, the Oly shoes allow us to work the full ROM on the targeted muscles and then deal with ankle strength/mobility later via stretching and drills.

I personally feel much more stable even air squatting in Oly shoes than barefoot.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:55 AM   #20
Hunter Lea

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Aro View Post
I've also been thinking about the issue of lifting shoeless for some time. Because there are so few arguments for or against barefoot lifting, I think it is worth of an experiment. I just joined in and opened a workout log (wfs) where I will report about any problems or successes that will come up. At least after a few month's experience, I've seen no problems with going to the squat position without shoes even under heavy weight.