CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-23-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
"Portable" Bumpers?

I'm living in the barracks at Camp Pendleton and although there's a small gym nearby, there is only 1 set of weights that can be used for oly lifting, and typically it's in use by some Marine doing shoulder shrugs or something that you don't particularly need rubber plates or a lifting platform for.

Lately I've had to dramatically limit my workouts to metcons and haven't gotten to do any lifting whatsoever in recent weeks because I don't have time to get to the bigger gym, and for the above reasons.

So... this is kind of an automotive question mixed with a fitness equipment one.

I'm considering buying my own set of plates and bar to use on my own. This poses several problems. I can't store them in the workplace and I can't store them in the barracks -- I'm on the 4th floor, and lugging a 250# weight set down/up stairs every time I want to workout is out of the question.

The only other option is to store them in the bed of my truck and set them up as needed.

And finally, my question(s) are:

- Can anyone think of a storage system I can use to keep them in the bed of my truck? Something I can secure to the rails and keep the weights and barbell from rolling all over the place?

- (Automotive part) Will storing all of that weight in the bed of my truck 24/7 have a noticeably detrimental effect on my truck's lifespan? I don't know much about automobiles, so I'm pretty much in the dark here. Is mileage totally going to be shot to hell? Will my shocks get screwed up? Is it a bad idea to travel in distances in excess of 300 miles with all of that weight back there? It's a 2009 Tacoma.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:32 AM   #2
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Re: "Portable" Bumpers?

When we first started we were training people in a park and had to drive weights and bars around.

I assume that you have a standard bed truck.

The plates and bars do not move around that much. In fact you can only fit a standard 7 foot bar diagonally. If you arange the bumpers on either side nothing will move around that much.

The second question. 250 lbs is not enough to have much of an effect on your truck. Trucks are designed to carry several times that much. Your gas mileage will be affected, but it may not be huge.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
Casey Raiford

Profile:

We also started out as a vehicle borne affiliate and did the same thing without problems. As for the weight, it's negligible. Imagine you're driving around with a fat guy back there. No biggy.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
Matt Trussell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
We also started out as a vehicle borne affiliate and did the same thing without problems. As for the weight, it's negligible. Imagine you're driving around with a fat guy back there. No biggy.
Hilarious!

And check this out Casey: Gym in a Box WFS

All you could ever ask for in that truck!
Old 02-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Casey Raiford

Profile:

I'd seen that before, it's brilliant. Way more organized than we were. We had a forest of bars and PVC sticking out of the bed, a backseat full of med balls and random dumbells and KBs all over the place. It mostly looked like we got overrun during a WOD and had to bug out in a hurry.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
Matt Trussell

Profile:

Meant to put Elliot in there to check out that pic, but it's all good. I'm pretty jealous of that set-up though
Old 02-25-2010, 09:44 PM   #7
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Thanks for the info, folks. I think I'll start budgeting for that bumper set now. Guess I never really thought of it in the sense that it's the same as driving around with 1 or 2 passengers.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Follow-on question(s):

I don't have much experience with high quality bars, so forgive my lack of what is probably common knowledge.

A standard 7' bar is too big for my truck bed (double cab short bed Tacoma) by about 6 inches diagonally. I'd like to buy a high quality standard 7' bar, but won't be able to without either getting a $700+ camper shell, or grotesquely modifying the truck bed w/ dremel/saw/etc. I'd prefer not to do either.

Should I compromise with a 6' bar? I know it can't hold as much weight, but I'll have to make due. I shopped around at Rogue but didn't see any length specified for any of their bars.

Any recommendations for a solid 6' oly bar that can take a beating on different surfaces, being dropped from overhead, etc?

Lastly, do the collars (is that what they're called? I always just call them end pieces) on any of the high quality 7' oly bars (Pendlay, Rogue, etc.) come off easily? If I could take the collars for storage and transportation and re-attach them for my workouts, then storing it most likely wouldn't be a problem.

1.) Get a 6' bar?
2.) Get a good quality 7' bar w/ removable collars/endpieces/thingies.

Thoughts?
Old 03-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #9
Casey Raiford

Profile:

I'd have to recommend no to both questions. Get a decent seven footer, prop one end up and rest it on the edge of the bed of your truck. If you're worried about it warping, get a medball or something to support it. Just let it stick up.

Don't go with a short bar, and DO NOT ROUTINELY DISASSEMBLE YOUR BAR.

Just my two cents...
Old 03-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I get what you're saying, but one of the most important things is that it fit all the way in the bed, as I'm going to be getting a hard cover to prevent theft.

This is supposed to be the permanent storage location of my equipment while I'm living on base, and I'd like to say that Marines do not lie, cheat, or steal... but some of them most certainly do steal.

So it needs to be at least somewhat secure in the bed to prevent theft, and I can't do that open-air. So with the disassemble option ruled out by your advice, the next best thing is a 6' oly bar or a $700 camper shell :\