CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 05-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #21
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Re: Strength Training and a six minute mile

Followed the main page WOD today....time for a metcon workout.

"Mary" - 13 full rounds plus 5 HSPUs, 10 pistols and 7 pullups in 20 minutes. Missed 14 rounds by 15 seconds.

HSPUs done with hands on 2x4 blocks with top of head touching floor. I have the bad habit of arching my body on handstands so no nose to carpet for me. I'll increase the ROM a bit instead and focus on keeping an unbent torso. Focus here as in bench pressing - keep working to not let the elbows flair out to the sides; keeping them in tight makes my shoulders happy.

Pistols done without support, 5 right then 5 left with hip extension at the top of each rep. Right side much stronger and better balanced - ATA each rep without fear of falling over. Left side below parallel and slower due to weakness and balance problems. The left side pistol weakness is what is stopping me from possibly getting 15 rounds.

Kipping pullups done with Annie's frog kick style; my shoulder can handle these better than the regular swing style. Chin over bar as my healing shoulder can't handle 202 chest to bar pullups yet.

No breaks on any sets of anything.

Finished with joint mobility work for the shoulders. Shoulders are a little tender; this may have been too much too soon.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:11 PM   #22
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Moore View Post
Kipping pullups done with Annie's frog kick style; my shoulder can handle these better than the regular swing style.
Funny, not really sure what the frog kick is, but I am trying to learn the swing as I think for endurance stuff its more efficient. I can pseudo-butterfly, and its fast, but its tiring. I want to be able to do both so for WOD like Angie I can just set it to cruise (well, you know what I mean).

What I discovered today, though, while trying to just swing, is that the swing, IMO, requires more upper body pull than the really fast kip that I have. I can use so much lower body momentum with my kip that I don't have to pull as much.

Which I find interesting, because as I was doing Angie yesterday, I remember thinking my pull-ups seemed weak, and I think its because I have been kicking so much that I haven't been pulling as much.

Mostly this was just a ramble, but I wanted to share :-)

Karin
Old 05-14-2009, 06:51 AM   #23
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin Kellerman View Post
Which I find interesting, because as I was doing Angie yesterday, I remember thinking my pull-ups seemed weak, and I think its because I have been kicking so much that I haven't been pulling as much.
Karin
I had the same epiphany a few months ago.

Hijack off

Nice work, Kelly. I like to read your comments and imagine I will be there in 5 years.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:44 PM   #24
Kelly Moore

Profile:

4x3 95# squat cleans
4x3 Full ROM HSPUs - hands on 12" stools, head touching floor

POSE runs:
4x90 sec @ .64 tempo - according to GPS, I run .23 of a mile at this pace. These 90 second runs are 70% uphill with about 10% downhill (running uphill hurts for obvious reasons, but downhill runs hurt my toes! I would rather run uphill).
1x6 minutes @ .66 tempo
Running was supposed to end the session, but I wanted to beat the incoming thunderstorm.

5x5 145# front squats - Very strong ATA sets. It helped to focus on moving straight down into the hole and moving my knees further apart on the descent; it seemed to help prevent any forward pitch of the bar.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #25
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Hi Karin!

"Frog kick" is what I remember after seeing a video of Annie Sakamoto's pullups. Her pullups didn't appear to have as much swing and sort of a breast stroke kick; it's more straight up and down than the swing style. It's easier on my mending shoulder and the cycle time is faster. There is a old video somewhere of Annie and Greg A doing Fran (both under 3 minutes!) which shows her style.

I haven't tried the butterfly kip yet and may never do so. I'm just trying to keep my shoulders up and running these days so that kind of experimenting may not be in the cards anymore.

I do think folks need to work on dead hang pullups as well as kipping. That basic strength is often neglected in the search for a faster time. I would like to see folks be able to demonstrate enough muscular and tendon strength to do 3-5 dead hang pullups before focusing on kipping. Kipping puts a lot of load on weak muscles and tendons....it's great to be able to do 12 kipping pullups, but if you can't even do a one solid dead hang it leaves me scratching my head. You don't possess the back and arm strength to do one strict pullup??? Why not?

It's a good reason to have a doorway pullup bar over your bathroom door - kipping hard will can take it and you off the door frame so you tend to do dead hangs instead! Plus having a full bladder discourages kipping ...it's great for GTG work.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #26
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Happy Birthday Kelly!
Old 05-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #27
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Hey Camille,

Great to see you posting here and very nice car if I hadn't mentioned it earlier!

I need to post a picture of my new baby...2009 Harley Davidson Iron model Sportster. She's a sleeper - already put a number of Big Twins to shame at the stop lights. Nothing indicates the real size of the motor or speaks of the "massage treatment" that bigger motor received; it looks like a stock bike but it isn't. Plus having a lightweight in the seat helps get off the line even faster. Already scraped both footpegs cornering - it handles much better than either of my other two much older Sportsters ever did. The sparks are quite the light show (I just hope I don't hit something on the ground that I don't expect when heeled over or it is going to hurt. A LOT).
Old 05-15-2009, 03:09 PM   #28
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Hey Nancy,

Thank you! I try not to think about birthdays too much....that big 5-0 isn't far off anymore!
Old 05-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #29
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Todays main page WOD: "Diane"

Decided to do my version of Diane. Picked the short version (15-12-9) so I could create a baseline to improve upon. Double bodyweight dead stop deadlifts and full ROM HSPUs are much different animals than the "lite" version. This WOD makes me pant like I've been running and sweat like I'm in a sauna.

"Truly Righteous Short Diane" - 225# dead stop deadlifts and full ROM HSPUs: 14:48.

225# dead stop deadlifts - no belt, standard stance, staggered grip. Dropping, bouncing or 'touch and go' reps would be a no count. I had no no counts....I'm not into wasting reps, time or energy. I would rather take 3 extra breaths and regroup to make a rep than dump a rep or get injured by rushing into a lift. Redoing a lift takes more time than doing it right the first time around. And injury for me these days means staying injured for a long time. I'm not in my 20s anymore and I now take forever to heal, so injury prevention keeps working it's way up my priority list during a workout.

Full ROM HSPUs - done off 12" stools, head touching floor each rep. Reps started and ended with straight elbows.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:12 AM   #30
Jesse Emers

Profile:

Wow. I've been looking at your log every once and a while and your performance has been good, but Mary and Diane were crazy! You are very strong