CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-18-2009, 07:00 AM   #101
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

+1 to Kempie. I've been doing this CFSB since it came out about 10 days ago and will attest that it is deceiving in that it looks "ez" on paper, but it is very taxing on the body. My diet has been for crap lately, but it's still harder then it looks. I recommend doing one thing at a time!!

By "ez" i mean do-able for mortals!
Old 02-18-2009, 07:24 AM   #102
Osman Ansari

Profile:

Hi guys, I've tried to read all the previous posts to see if this was covered and my apologies if it was and I missed it.

Had a question regarding thoughts on combining CFSB with jiu-jitsu? Currently I roll Tue, Thu and Saturday. Each session involves 5X5 min rounds at the end so it becomes quite taxing as everyone goes pretty hard and there are a lot of higher belts.

CrossFit-wise I am still working on being able to do the WOD's without scaling down and strength is my biggest limitation (though everything could be improved!).

Do you all think that combining CFSB with rolling would be too much or would make a good combo?

Thanks for the help and sorry if this has already been covered.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:06 AM   #103
David Schneider

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osman Ansari View Post
Hi guys, I've tried to read all the previous posts to see if this was covered and my apologies if it was and I missed it.

Had a question regarding thoughts on combining CFSB with jiu-jitsu? Currently I roll Tue, Thu and Saturday. Each session involves 5X5 min rounds at the end so it becomes quite taxing as everyone goes pretty hard and there are a lot of higher belts.

CrossFit-wise I am still working on being able to do the WOD's without scaling down and strength is my biggest limitation (though everything could be improved!).

Do you all think that combining CFSB with rolling would be too much or would make a good combo?

I do basically the same thing... I do Muy Thai on Mon. & Wed. and I roll Mon., Wed. & Sat. I'm attacking the CFSB program full force with about 7 hrs. of MMA a week, we spar and roll hard too, every session.

So far, so good. I think it helps that Wednesday is a rest day though. Only thing that sucks is the fact that Sunday is my only TRUE rest day...

My advice is, if you're feeling run down and beat up, then just scale back. Eat enough food, get enough sleep. If you rolled hard one day and then did your ME lifting, then maybe skip the metcon if your body is spent. Rolling hard for 3-5min. rounds can be just as taxing as a metcon, sometimes even more.

Just listen to your body and know when to scale back or take a day off... I'm getting stronger everyday and I think the strength and raw power gained from a program such as the CFSB, with transfer nicely into BJJ, turning you into a Monster on the mat.

Last edited by David Schneider : 02-18-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:19 AM   #104
Osman Ansari

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Schneider View Post
I do basically the same thing... I do Muy Thai on Mon. & Wed. and I roll Mon., Wed. & Sat. I'm attacking the CFSB program full force with about 7 hrs. of MMA a week, we spar and roll hard too, every session.

So far, so good. I think it helps that Wednesday is a rest day though. Only thing that sucks is the fact that Sunday is my only TRUE rest day...

My advice is, if you're feeling run down and beat up, then just scale back. Eat enough food, get enough sleep. If you rolled hard one day and then did your ME lifting, then maybe skip the metcon if your body is spent. Rolling hard for 3-5min. rounds can be just as taxing as a metcon, sometimes even more.

Just listen to your body and know when to scale back or take a day off... I'm getting stronger everyday and I think the strength and raw power gained from a program such as the CFSB, with transfer nicely into BJJ, turning you into a Monster on the mat.
Thanks David, wow that's really impressive that you can do CFSB on top of all that training. Do you make any adjustments to the CFSB program or adop it completely with no changes?
Old 02-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #105
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Quote:

Osman, it's a good question. The answer unfortunately, is that it depends. The main variable will be your capacity to recover sufficiently from your CFSB workouts to perform at your jits sessions.

I'd definitely suggest that you count your rolling as metcon for those days if it's as intense as you say. Works pretty well with your schedule - thursday and saturday are the longer metcon sessions in the CFSB cycle. Tuesday after deads will be a lot of work but really a case of suck it and see.

For Monday and Friday I'd suggest super short sharp WOD's - no more than 10 min tops.

If the Rxed work load proves too much to recover from and you are determined to follow the CFSB approach, all is not lost. I'd suggest dropping the ME stuff and focus your efforts on the high rep sets. In my experience these give the best bang for training buck with the highest transfer to CF training and general usefulness.

If you follow this and after a cycle or two are recovering well you may want to try adding in ME work for one drill at a time and monitoring your recovery.

Cheers, kempie
Old 02-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #106
Osman Ansari

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp View Post
Osman, it's a good question. The answer unfortunately, is that it depends. The main variable will be your capacity to recover sufficiently from your CFSB workouts to perform at your jits sessions.

I'd definitely suggest that you count your rolling as metcon for those days if it's as intense as you say. Works pretty well with your schedule - thursday and saturday are the longer metcon sessions in the CFSB cycle. Tuesday after deads will be a lot of work but really a case of suck it and see.

For Monday and Friday I'd suggest super short sharp WOD's - no more than 10 min tops.

If the Rxed work load proves too much to recover from and you are determined to follow the CFSB approach, all is not lost. I'd suggest dropping the ME stuff and focus your efforts on the high rep sets. In my experience these give the best bang for training buck with the highest transfer to CF training and general usefulness.

If you follow this and after a cycle or two are recovering well you may want to try adding in ME work for one drill at a time and monitoring your recovery.

Cheers, kempie
Thanks Kempie, much appreciated and will give it a shot.
Quick question, when determining if I can or cannot adjust to the full load, how long a period should I experiment with..2 week sor make it longer like 4-5 weeks?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2009, 08:34 AM   #107
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp View Post
Seriously Chris, please reconsider starting CFSB alongside your current deadlifting cycle. Even if you have only skimmed this thread you will understand the work load involved. Hang fire on the CFSB until you are done with your deads.

Cheers, kempie
Yes, I understand that it will be very taxing and recovery will need to be monitored. I'd still like to play around with it and figure out how to implement it here for my members, but will take it easy and not be shooting for PR's every week, just ease into it and get more volume into these lifts. (more then I get now that is...)

Wound up going to be a couple hours earlier then usual last night. Felt good.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:49 AM   #108
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks Kempie, much appreciated and will give it a shot.
Quick question, when determining if I can or cannot adjust to the full load, how long a period should I experiment with..2 week sor make it longer like 4-5 weeks?

Thanks
Mate, I wouldn't let your jits suffer for any more than a week before you re-evaluate. If you are talking about trialling the scaled down schedule and then adding stuff in I would get a full cycle in and if all is good then add ME stuff for one lift every two or three weeks if things continue to look good. If it were me, I'd add in the following order. Deadlifts, press, back squats, front squats.

Cheers, kempie
Old 02-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #109
Ed Haywood

Profile:

I'm starting my third cycle of incorporating CFSB principles into the main site WOD. I'm on a repeating 4 day cycle:

metcon - squat ME - deadlift ME - rest.

For now I'm skipping the FS and press days in favor of more frequent squats and deads. I also am skipping the high rep lifts, but I'm doing a full-length metcon after the ME lifts. I chose to ramp up on the deads but not the squats, since I was already on a similar progression.

So far it feels great. The ascending sets, alternating between 3x5 and 5x3, are a real breakthrough for me. Sets of 3x5 across at squat ME, a'la SS, were too much. I was pretty fried after the deadlift ME day 2 days ago, and worried that I wouldn't recover on my rest day. But I PR'd Fran today with my first sub-5:00 effort, and the thrusters felt great, all unbroken for first time ever. Did terrible on the pullups but that was due to a bad strategy that caused form meltdown.

We'll see how the new squat 3RM PR goes tomorrow, and whether I can sustain the linear progression.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #110
Dan Strametz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
I just re-read the article and didn't see it in this thread (so I apologize if it is...) but how come the gymnastics/skills development comes after the metcon? Is that to make sure you have time to do your lifting/metcon and then just finish off the session playing around and practicing?
The reason for this is to be able to perform stability or balance with a high heart rate and exhausted. If you are able to perform these gymnastic skills under this diress, then when fresh it should be easy.