CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #1
Elias Saebjorn Haraldsson

Profile:
Meniscus Tear

Hi

I've been going to a physical therapist for some time now because of my knee and it wasn't healing all the way so he ordered an MRI for me. The MRI confirmed I had a meniscus tear although it was not a serious one. My PT and I agree that the symptoms (annoying swelling but no pain) are not serious enough to risk surgery but at the same time this means that I'll have a bad knee for the rest of my life. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this type of injury, how you cope with it doing CrossFit, if you found anything that helps it and so on. My PT recommended static stretching and no explosive exercises (which really cramps my CrossFit-style). Any comments appreciated.

Elias
Old 01-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
Wendy Nelson

Profile:
Re: Meniscus Tear

What kinda tear have you got? I had the flappy one and the doc said it was best to get in there and "clean" it up. Sure enough my knee is better than ever now and rarely gives me any grief. The surgery was really easy, it was the arthroscopic one and recovery was super fast.

With all the athletes on this forum you will probably collect a good chunk of opinions. That's a real common injury, mine was from soccer.

Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	meniscus.jpg
Views:	994
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	3359  
Old 01-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #3

Profile:

Damn, I don't exactly know what kind of tear it is. I got the diagnosis in Icelandic and don't know what it actually meant visually. Did you stretch after surgery, supplement with omega3s?
Old 01-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
Wendy Nelson

Profile:

Lots of stretching gobs of fish oil and also making sure all the muscles in your leg are proportioned properly. Having a beefy quad and so so hamstring can really make things worse. I would give you more advice but the muscle development area is over my head. Make sure your squat technique is spot on though !

If you look at the picture I posted you can see how having that chunk flopping around in there could be painful. Maybe yours is not like that and then skipping surgery would be best?!
Old 01-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #5

Profile:

Like I said, my injury wasn't deemed serious enough for surgery. It's funny you should mention muscular imbalance because that is actually one of the main causes for my injury. All knee injuries begin with bad squat technique - that should be a saying. After 1 year of terrible squat technique my overemphasized quads were able to do some good damage to my knee because my weak hamstrings couldn't protect it.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Strengthen your hammies and stretch your quads out. Ice if any soreness or swelling. Non-impact exercise is probably better than any impact. Beware of your knee locking up as if you force it to move it could tear the meniscus more..

Surgery is always up to you though.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
Joseph Shreckhise

Profile:

Elias,
I had the same problem in january and it was perhaps a little more serious. I'm a college wrestler and the impact from the mat made it swell enough to prevent a full range of motion (it hurt like hell too). The choice to get surgery was pretty much left up to me and I went ahead and got it. Less than two weeks later, I attended a level 1 cert in Charlotte which included bottom to bottom tabata air squats which I did 4 minutes of instead of 8 but was able to hold about 15 during those 4 minutes. I also decided it would be a good idea to sub my thrusters in fran for shoulder press but besides those two alterations I did everything as prescribed. This included Segrams: 7 med ball cleans and 7 push-ups AMRAP in 12 minutes which I was able to score pretty high on. I have currently been going through practices with little or no pain, wrestling matches and doing more than my body weight on high rep squat cleans for several weeks now. I would say my results might be a little uncommon but my point is the surgery isn't as major as you might think. I took my pain pills the day of surgery and the day after and that was it. You might spend some time regaining all of your strength back because your quad will atrophy. In my opinion however, its better to get the surgery now than risk tearing it further or just avoiding explosive movements altogether. I pushed it as hard as I could after surgery and recovered quickly. I'm no physician but pushing it and taking doc's orders with a grain of salt worked well for me. Good luck with whatever you decide, let us know how it goes!
Joby