CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-06-2009, 06:08 AM   #651
Laura Kurth

Profile:
Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

Caffeine is awesome. As Lyle McD says, "the only problem with caffeine is when there isn't enough of it"

Old 05-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #652
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mielo View Post
Last night I had friends over who just got back from Iraq (Amber, they went to watch your CFT you held in Iraq!) and I made dinner.
Huh, interesting. I hope they enjoyed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
I'm doing pretty good on my no grains and sugars right now. Although I've noticed sugar finds a way to sneak it's ugly little head in when you don't expect it. I swear it's in everything these days. But, I do pretty good avoiding it for the most part or at least heaping quantities of it like I'd have eaten before. The most I get is maybe 2g in my bleu cheese dressing.

Now what I am having trouble kicking is caffeine. I mean is caffeine as bad of a culprit as sugar and high carb processed foods when it comes to insulin sensitivity and keeping the spare tire on your midsection?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
Caffeine is awesome. As Lyle McD says, "the only problem with caffeine is when there isn't enough of it"

I'm with Laura on this one.....I never would've even started my PFT this morning without some coffee (black, Whole Foods Blend, good ****).

Hey y'all! I'm not going to read all I missed, but trying to get on the boards more often again. I'm staying in barracks this month, check out my paleo blog for what I'm eating.

Laters!
Old 05-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #653
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I just read that caffeine can increase insulin sensitivity like sugar can.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #654
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:

17 days and no sugar!!! (well, there were some shots of 44 Degree North Huckleberry vodka on the weekend on my cheat night....)

Going a little too heavy on the fruit lately, but no processed crap cravings to speak of. Woo hoo!
Old 05-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #655
Pete Mielo

Profile:

Still doing pretty good on my meals but whiskey and cookies (not necessarily together!) are still tough for me to stay away from.

As such, I've been staying away from posting instead of getting encouragement. I need to get better about getting on here!
Old 05-19-2009, 06:59 AM   #656
Tom Gerhard

Profile:

Quote:
Still doing pretty good on my meals but whiskey and cookies (not necessarily together!) are still tough for me to stay away from.

As such, I've been staying away from posting instead of getting encouragement. I need to get better about getting on here!
Hey, Pete -- as someone with a former serious beer and brownies (yes, together) habit, I can totally empathize. However, those days are history and paleo combined with IF have gotten me to my target weight of 175# (and flirting with 170#).

Just stay with it and visit often.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:47 PM   #657
Pat Quigley

Profile:

wow, this thread is like a whole forum.

I am just getting my act together to do a Paleo. Found some useful websites. I have eaten steel cut oatmeal for years. Would this have to go on a Paleo diet? I just wondered as the whole oat berry is eaten? Thanks for you answers.

If anyone has a favored website for Paleo let me know. My wife agreed to do this with me. However, she is an ovo, fish vegitarian and I'm pretty much an omnivore.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #658
Murray Birch

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Quigley View Post
wow, this thread is like a whole forum.

I am just getting my act together to do a Paleo. Found some useful websites. I have eaten steel cut oatmeal for years. Would this have to go on a Paleo diet? I just wondered as the whole oat berry is eaten? Thanks for you answers.

If anyone has a favored website for Paleo let me know. My wife agreed to do this with me. However, she is an ovo, fish vegitarian and I'm pretty much an omnivore.
Hey Pat, that's great your wife is on board. That makes it so much easier to stick with it. I think the oats aren't going to kill you. Some foods can be eaten in moderation without adverse effect, it just depends on the person.

A couple of my fav websites are Mark's Daily Apple, and Free the Animal, neither is 100% Paleo (they include some dairy), but close enough for me. They also have a wealth of knowledge and recipes.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #659
Pete Mielo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gerhard View Post
Hey, Pete -- as someone with a former serious beer and brownies (yes, together) habit, I can totally empathize. However, those days are history and paleo combined with IF have gotten me to my target weight of 175# (and flirting with 170#).

Just stay with it and visit often.
Looking to get to 170 or lower; about 195 right now, I just have to get strict. Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 05-19-2009, 07:41 PM   #660
Brian Dolan

Profile:

Hey, long time reader, first time poster! I'm going on my third month of CF and my second of dialing my eating in...currently I'm a not so svelt 270ish, but my fitness level is greatly improved and I feel a lot better. I've stopped eating any starches/grains for the most part. No bread, no pasta, no rice, no potatoes...none of the above. I've had a beer or two here and there, but as I hinted in the "Beer" thread, I'm willing to cut way back (especially with a 4 month old baby in the house), but I'm not ready to go teatotaller....

Anyway, aside from the occasional beer, I am grain free and not missing it a bit. I was even able to go to Bennihana without a grain of rice! As for "sugar", I think I'm good. I do put a bit of Cranberry juice into my water (VERY diluted), and when I occasionally drink coffee, I use Splenda.

SO far, I'm not missing anything....well, maybe chips, but thats it! Its been easy so far, but I'll check in every so often when I'm feeling weak...