CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-30-2008, 04:39 AM   #1
Ajay Handa

Profile:
Eleiko Bumpers

I am considering getting the Eleiko International Training Bumpers (in black) from Dynamic Fitness...as well as a Pendlay Economy bar...

The only reason I am considering a set of this cost is that my Uncle has offered to buy me the set...

I believe that it is a good set, but I am curious what you know about these bumpers...and how the Werksan (or others) Training set compares...

A search of the forum shows that a few people (Lincoln, Josh, etc) have them...has anyone else used them at an affiliate or another gym? Opinions?

Lastly, any opinion on the small Eleiko metal set (5, 2.5, 2, 1, 0.5 kg)?

Thanks, in advance, for your advice...

Cheers
Old 04-30-2008, 07:15 AM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Re: Eleiko Bumpers

Buy Glenn's Crossfit economy set (like $530 or $550 I think?) and have your uncle buy you a car with the money he saved on the Elieko bumpers. The hi-temp ones will do you a world of good and last you for EVER. And I can easily fit 255 lbs on the bar with all rubber, plus another 2 x 35's, and probably 2 x 25's in iron on the outside of those even. If you can clean and jerk that much weight, you're a monster. And I think the bumpers would probably hold up to that punishment just fine.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Seriously bro, its an extreme waste of money. Don't be the guy that gets Eleiko for the sake of having Eleiko. You're better off investing more money on the bars than the bumpers anyways.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #4
Kim Layton

Profile:

Add another vote for the less expensive bumpers. They take a beating and will do everything you need/want them for AT A FRACTION OF THE COST!

Instead of just overpriced bumpers have your uncle buy you the black (or colored if you want) bumpers from Pendlay AND the bar - and you may as well go with a better bar - and he will still save money. Go one step up to the Pendlay HD bar. Its his new middle of the road bar between the econ and the actual "Pendlay".

You won't miss the Eleikos.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
Kevin Ziegenhorn

Profile:

If Eleiko makes anything worth the price, it's the bar, not the bumpers.

The only Eleiko weights I'd consider getting are the small ones because tighter tolerances are more meaningful with small weights.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
Jeff Flynn

Profile:

Get the eleiko set if your uncle's paying! Like Kevin said the bar is the most important, Werksan is comparable and the high temps will work so its really a no lose situation but you'll probably never have as good a set as if you get the eleiko.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:45 AM   #7
Chris Robinson

Profile:

I look at it this way:

Option A
Eleiko bumpers:
2x25kg = 398.00
2x20kg = 358.00
2x15kg = 338.00
2x10kg = 298.00
"1kg rule set" = 269.00

Total cost of bumpers: $1,661

+

Pendlay Economy HD Bar: $209.00

TOTAL COST = $1870 + shipping

Option B
1) Pendlay Economy HD Bar + 140kg Hi-Temp bumpers = 744.00*
2) "1kg Rule" set = 169.00 *

Total = $913 + shipping for the "1kg rule" set
* Prices from CF SoCal

Option B is just one of countless other options out there depending on which bar and bumpers (brand, weight, etc.) that you want. The point is, you can get a great bar and bumpers for well under $1000. You can then use the other $1000 you would've spent on Eleiko plates and get all the other equipment you need: kettlebells, rings, med ball, jump rope, platform. Heck, depending on how many kettlebells you got, you could also get a Glute-Ham Developer or a C2 rower!

Finally, if you wanted to order everything separetly, you can go straight to the manufacturer for the bumpers and probably save some money. Wright sells their bumpers for $1.10/lb. and Hi-Temp sells theirs for $1.25/lb. Being in GA, you could even drive over to the Wright warehouse in Birmingham and pick up your bumpers, thus saving on shipping.

Unless you're planning on competing at a very high level, you won't notice a big difference between the Eleiko plates and the other bumpers recommended in this community. Just my .02
Old 05-04-2008, 06:48 AM   #8
Joey Powell

Profile:

Get a GOOD BAR!!
Old 05-04-2008, 07:07 AM   #9
Steve Reggio

Profile:

Don't spend extra money on the bumpers. Get a set of the Wright Rubber bumpers from Jason Hughes. If you want to look good spring for the colored bumpers. You are looking at a little over $1 a lb for colored. Then get the Pendlay bar.

Get another piece of equipment with the money you save.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:18 AM   #10
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

I have the pendlay economy bar which I am now upgrading to the pendlay bar as I am competing and would love more spin