CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-26-2008, 04:36 AM   #1
John McConnell

Profile:
Home Crossfit Gym?

Is there such a thing as a home Crossfit gym? I'm thinking something like Bowflex but geared for Crossfit (i.e. Pullup bar, Rings, Box, etc.). Is there such a beast?
Old 03-26-2008, 05:23 AM   #2
Tom Fetter

Profile:
Re: Home Crossfit Gym?

Er, many of us work out at home, but there's no one piece of equipment like a Bowflex etc. for it to happen.

There are many threads on what equipment people put into their home gyms. Personally, I've got a pull-up bar, squat cage, flat bench, Oly bar and weights, plate-loading dumbbells, C2 rower, home-made rings, and a jump rope. I'd like to add bumper plates, plyo boxes, and a couple of kettlebells.

You can do most CF workouts with an Oly bar and weights and a pullup bar, and add more equipment over time.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:29 AM   #3
John McConnell

Profile:

I've also seen the pictures on the site for people's home setups but wasn't sure if anyone had actually attempted a commercial piece or blueprinted their own home setup.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #4
Skylar Cook

Profile:

Already been done: Eugene's garage. That thing is RIDICULOUS!
Old 03-26-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
Justin McCrary

Profile:

Im not sure how much bowflex machines run these days, but whatever you spend you will waste it if you want it for a crossfit application. Like many Crossfitters I use my home gym, if your careful with your purchases and buy as much equipment used as possible you can probably outfit yourself with everything you need for the same price as a bowflex. I have everything i need with the exception of a high ceiling for about 1500. And even that could have been a lot less if it didnt cost so much to have bumper plates shipped. Just make sure you check out the home garage checklist from the HQ site.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Pull-up bar, barbell, bumper plates, kettlebells, and whatever else you can scrape together. (Space, too. It's important to have actual space in your garage).
Old 03-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
Pull-up bar, barbell, bumper plates, kettlebells, and whatever else you can scrape together. (Space, too. It's important to have actual space in your garage).
Or living room. One of the perks to being single.

But it will be moving to the garage when I clean it out. But that takes forever!
Old 03-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Cleaning out the garage stinks (really, a lot of that stuff has to go to the dump), but it has to get done. In my case, it was about a day and a half project to haul 4,000 pounds of junk away. Amazing how that stuff builds up over the years.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:09 PM   #9
Chad Skola

Profile:

luckily I just started my gym right when I moved in a few weeks ago, so I have been able to just keep it clean and only have gym stuff in it. I have even started painting the walls(way to time consuming for me with the priming and then 2 coats of paint), I need to get pics of it posted.

Oh and the pic on the main page with the Army guys doing CF that is kind of like a bow flex for CF. It has pullups you can do box jumps, wall ball, rings. hahaha I need something like that for my back yard. Then I can workout in the sun this summer. I need to put a door in my garage to the backyard though.
70in/150#Go to my website to make a donation to a young 13 year old. Your donation will help make living with Cerebral Palsy a little bit easier. His name is Dax and his story can be found from my site also.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:35 AM   #10
Scott Dyck

Profile:

I'm so jealous of all you guys with garages. I have to use my ridiculously uneven backyard, which is getting really full of nice kettlebell and plate dents, much to my wife's chagrin. I keep telling her, if she would just buy me some bumpers, the plate dents would go away.