CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
Kimberly Trego

Profile:
Unhappy Having trouble with "old" clients

Does anyone have any suggestions for my problem? I became CF certified in August and have become an affiliate in October. 90 percent of my pre CrossFit clientele love it. But some of them just don't like it and make excuses when I really know they just don't want to work hard. Should I just cut my losses and let them go or is there a way to educate and convince them other than sending them numerous articles?
Old 10-24-2007, 07:31 PM   #2
David Long

Profile:
Re: Having trouble with "old" clients

We went through this. We opened a training studio that was very functionally based....we had dynamax balls, rowers, KBs jump boxes ect. BUT we had not seen crossFit. Our training lacked intensity, and the integration and scaling of CF. We became certified and affilited several months after opening. Many of our "old" clients moved into CF and are still going. Some tried it, didn't like it and moved on. Some we kept, and they are not doing CF. We have 2 seperate entities..a PT studio and a CF gym under one roof. I know for many, this couldn't/wouldn't work, we feed a family on training. I found that some people just don't get CF. or they don't want it, if you are a crossFit only facility you will take a hit up front. I think in the long run you will gain clients because the results. We have had people return to CF when they see that others are consistently making gains while they are not.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:59 AM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly Trego View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for my problem? I became CF certified in August and have become an affiliate in October. 90 percent of my pre CrossFit clientele love it. But some of them just don't like it and make excuses when I really know they just don't want to work hard. Should I just cut my losses and let them go or is there a way to educate and convince them other than sending them numerous articles?
Seriously, I would do what Doug at Hyperfit USA does on his website for new clients, he says "Here's a list of other fitness facilities in the area... Visit them before you visit us, and if you don't like what we do, don't stop working out, go workout somewhere else". Basically let them know that you don't *need* them, and say something like "hey, this isn't for everybody" (even though it is), and they're more likely to stick around once they know you don't need them.

You know that "something is better than nothing", but you also know that the "something" that they like to do isn't going to keep them out of an assisted care facility when they get old, and you've got to help them realize that. Not to mention it's not going to help them get into any level of fitness beyond "not quite sick".
Old 10-25-2007, 07:00 AM   #4
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Long View Post
We went through this. We opened a training studio that was very functionally based....we had dynamax balls, rowers, KBs jump boxes ect. BUT we had not seen crossFit. Our training lacked intensity, and the integration and scaling of CF. We became certified and affilited several months after opening. Many of our "old" clients moved into CF and are still going. Some tried it, didn't like it and moved on. Some we kept, and they are not doing CF. We have 2 seperate entities..a PT studio and a CF gym under one roof. I know for many, this couldn't/wouldn't work, we feed a family on training. I found that some people just don't get CF. or they don't want it, if you are a crossFit only facility you will take a hit up front. I think in the long run you will gain clients because the results. We have had people return to CF when they see that others are consistently making gains while they are not.
This is the route I'm thinking of taking, although I like Doug (Hyperfit) & Matt's line of thinking too. Even though I would like to train people full-time (We all would), I don't know if I can compromise my training philosophy and beliefs in the name of $$. I feel I should train clients by my methodology, not theirs. That's why I'm the trainer, not them. They are paying for your expertise, not the other way around.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:38 AM   #5
David Long

Profile:

Doug chose a great route and it works. I think each individual trainer has to look at how they want to practice business. I lost/fired many clients who simply did not want to work hard. The bulk of my clients do CrossFit, the ones that don't are disabled and/or have some severe physical limitations. Some of these folks could/would benefit from CF, but they are benefiting from their current programs. New clients are all doing CF or going somwhere else. It was a struggle to lose income, but there were lines I could not cross and still sleep at night. I can't do isolation movements, toning, LSD work and things that I just know won't/don't work. I am however a triathlon coach..if it is someones great desire to comptete in triathlons or endurance sports, I will train them. They will get CF doing base, and go sport specific when needed. Kids are same. We cycle our competative athletes through CH and sport specific work. Its a tough choice, but make one that you can live with. The route that we could not take is CrossFit "light" or a watered down version. There is scaling, and there is just doing it wrong. Sounds like you have some solid advice, you'll do the right thing for you.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:55 AM   #6
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

I think in the long run you'll gravitate towards keeping people who "get it" simply because they enhance the atmosphere in the gym. People who are negative and slack generally bring everyone else down ... bad news for a business based on results.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:03 AM   #7
Monique T. Ames

Profile:

I agree with Anthony and saw it first hand. Moral is: don't force everyone to convert, either let them go or work them privately.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:48 AM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

If they don't want to do CF why not just discuss their goals or what they want to get out of exercising? I bet for half the other people they would say gain more muscle or increase strength in which case you can put them on something like Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength. Heck, even if it's a CF affiliate I don't see anything wrong with direct personal training of this type. Now if they want to do their own routines of non-heavy compounds and mass isolation and such you can always refer them to another gym or something. Fitness is great but it's not everyone's specific goal and you can still cater to some in that sense.

I am kind of getting the feeling that at a bunch of CF gyms I probably wouldn't be welcome to workout because I do strength routines most of the time as opposed to direct CF for fitness (although I do incorporate metcon when/where needed mostly relating to gymnastics exercises). Aren't CF gyms supposed to be an alternative to the big box gyms where you can't do oly lifts, use chalk, grunt and groan, etc.?

At least that's my take on the subject.

Last edited by Steven Low : 10-25-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:55 PM   #9
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

I had best luck getting my older clients to work hard by repeating certain benchmark workouts on a regular basis - once every one or two weeks. Before the workout I pull up the workout logs and remind them what their previous performance was. They can workout at any intensity level they were comfortable with but for the benchmark workouts they were expected to improve their scores every time. Whether the improvement was 1 kilo or 5 seconds, better and better is the goal.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:27 PM   #10
Celio Silva

Profile:

Great thread! Keep it coming...