CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 02-15-2005, 12:04 AM   #1
Pat Janes

Profile:

Steve Maxwell posted a WOD-like workout of his own making on the DragonDoor site, that some of you might like to try sometime:

Rounds in 20 mins of:
5 x pullups
5 x one-arm pushups (each arm)
5 x bottoms-up pistols (each leg)

Pullups are done on a revolving centre-suspended pullup bar:

http://www.torqueathletic.com/produc...d=5042&r=20576

Bottoms-up pistols start and finish in the hole. At 52 years of age, Steve managed 10 full rounds - a very fit guy.

His write-up of the workout can be seen at:

http://forum.dragondoor.com/training/message/318010/

Disclaimer: In no way was this any sort of a recommendation and if any of these exercises end up in a WOD, it's not my fault.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:36 AM   #2
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Nice workout but you could make that 100 dollar bar with a rope and a stick.

In fact I have, I grew up on a farm and what you have there is your basic beam swing.

But still, nice workout ;)
Old 02-15-2005, 03:16 PM   #3
Michael Street

Profile:
Looks like Mary’s slow, retarded sister...Still good to see that the DD people are actively seeking new methods in training. This will make us all better athletes in the end. And "everything has it's place".

“Mary”
Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
5 Handstand Push-ups
10 One legged squats, alternating
15 Pull-ups
Old 02-15-2005, 08:21 PM   #4
Pat Janes

Profile:

I liked it too (in principle), but I have to say, if I tried it, I'd spend most of my time grinding through 1, maybe 2 sets of one-armed pushups.

They're not something that most people can typically do without specifically training for it. But then, neither are pistols.

And "Mary" is one of my favourites...
Old 02-16-2005, 11:17 AM   #5
Ross Greenberg

Profile:

Agree with Pat re: the specificity of one arm pushups. My experience:
Day one of one arm pushups - whoaaa, how the hell can people rep these out?
Two weeks later - 2 sets of 10 per arm.

Those DD people are getting pretty mad at crossfit. I don't get what the whole controversy is all about. If you want to do strict pullups, 40 miles a week of running, or a modified powerlifting routine, great! Do it on top of the WOD, it's just another example of doing SPP on top of GPP. Another thing, someone criticized Josh and Greg's jerk form on Fran, when they were actually doing thrusters. There's an example of someone knocking something they don't completely understand or haven't given a fair shot yet.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:14 PM   #6
Matt Schwartz

Profile:

Hi guys,
IMHO, one arm pushups are an equally valid exercise as our other body weight exercises and I do them on the side. They meet the criteria of being a crossfit exercise and belong in the rotation just as much as HSPUs and pistols.
And Ross, I'm not trying to pick on you, but I think it's an unfair characterization for you to say that "Those DD people are getting pretty mad at Crossfit." That misrepresents the Dragondoor community. The vast majority of people there are open minded and embrace and try out new ideas, including Pavel himself, who amazes me with his non-egocentric willingness to learn from others. There are a few people there who seem unwilling to change and like to specialize in their pet skills but I find that the vast majority of people there contribute to constructive discussion.
Take care all,
Matt
Old 02-17-2005, 04:24 PM   #7
Ross Greenberg

Profile:

Matt, point taken. I too am impressed by Pavel's humility on that board, as well as by the general quality of discussion on it.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:00 PM   #8
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
Pavel posted on DD just a week or so ago: "Comrades, I have seen many threads about Crossfit on the forum so I asked Com. Greg Glassman to write an article for DD to introduce his system"

As far as Steve Maxwell, he's totally CrossFit he just doesn't know it yet. His Grappler's workout DVD is the exact same concept as FIght Gone Bad. Just he uses rock up squats, swings, ect.

Other fun Steve Maxwell Workouts:

The Maxercist: alternate 6 count bodybuilders (w/pushup) jumping up to a high pullup bar and doing a pullup. Repeat. Do rounds, survive for time, continuous effort, continue until Pukie, any variation you like.

Steve Maxwell Metabolic Meltdown:
12 minute workout designed to max out your metabolic conditioning.
After an appropriate warmup or grappling session perform his three exercise super set cicuit-if you can.
20 sec. snatches(left)
20 sec. chinups
20 sec. snatches(right)
20 sec. dips
Repeat the above sequence 12 times.You have a 10 second break to make the transition from one exercise to the next.You end up performing 6 sets of chinups, 6 sets of dips and 12 sets of snatches-6 sets left, 6 sets right, for a total workout time of 12 minutes.

Looks like functional movements, varied, at high intensity to me.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:51 PM   #9
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Josh have you tried Steve Maxwells "favourite" workout?

2 kettlebells

Pushup to renegade row 5-10 times
Walking swing out and back 5-10m
Bear walk with 2 kettlebells 5-10m

Repeat across a sports field until you meet pukie.

We did that one at the October RKC last year and I was next to Steve. He smoked all 34 students (fitness trainers, fire fighters, police, military etc) on the course and was out in front by a mile.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:17 AM   #10
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
At the June RKC he had us do the exact same thing except without the pushup to renegade row - it was just the walking swing + bear crawl. It was pretty evil combo, I was impressed.

That's cool you brought that up, I haven't done kettlebell bear crawls in forever.