CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 10-13-2010, 06:03 AM   #11
Will Patterson

Profile:
Re: Building a base for 2011

Tuesday, 12 OCT 2010
Week 5 of my 10 week experiment

Can I PC bodyweight by the end of my 10 weeks?

Power Clean (3X5) – 115 lbs.

So I was getting annoyed with how light PCs felt, and I was going to make a bigger jump than usual, to 110 lbs. Well, the warm-ups felt awesome and I decided the bar would just look cooler without using change plates, so I went ahead and did 115. Work sets were no problem at all, and I’ll probably be going with 10 lb. jumps until…..well, until I can’t anymore. The best cue I heard for knowing when these are right is “the movement of the bar should feel short.” I think I get it.

MetCon

4 Rounds:
10 burpees
10 1 pood KB swings
10 GHD-ish sit ups
Time: 7:40

As I’m sure you all know, burpees stink. I kept myself honest by only counting reps where I touched my garage ceiling on the jump (about 13” over my reach). I only missed one or two before I realized it’s way too much effort to have to repeat a jump to make the rep count.

I feel really good today. I have that awesome “I did something yesterday” tightness in my body, right on the verge of a little sore, but in a good way – You know what I mean, right?

On another positive note, the baby (9 months old today, in case you care) is actually letting us get some decent sleep finally, and it is making a big difference in recovery.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:23 AM   #12
Will Patterson

Profile:

Thursday, 14 OCT 2010

Just do it.

Squat (5X3) – 180 lbs.
Bench (5X3) – 155 lbs.
Chin ups – 5, 5, 10 (jumping, sloooow negatives)

So calling on comments from my last workout when I said I should concentrate more, I think I over compensated. I was trying to focus way too intently on all of the little things I should be doing, and forgot about just squatting. Some of the reps ended up being too slow, too shallow, and just annoying to grind out with 259 cues I was trying to keep straight in my head. Next time it will be: big deep breath, say “knees out, butt back, stay tight, bounce out of the hole” quietly to myself, and just freaking squat. Focus, yes, but less thinking, more doing.

Even though I was annoyed by the squats, bench was not much of a problem. I mentioned before how I play Rip’s SS DVD while I’m lifting so I can hear what he’s saying and get, perhaps, some osmotic coaching. I particularly love the start of the Bench section where he spends several minutes explaining how benching alone, like I do, can lead to death and disfigurement. Maybe I’m aided by the adrenaline rush of knowing I’m throwing caution to the wind. Seriously though, if I’m somehow killed while lifting (despite the spotter rails on my rack and the collar-less bar), please tell people I was attacked by a lion or struck by lightning - something manly like that. Getting crushed benching 155 is just embarrassing.

Pull-up/Chin-up numbers are a little disappointing. I didn’t want to, but I couldn’t resist checking my weight to see how that was factoring into my numbers. I’m up 10 lbs. (181.5 according to my scale), so, technically, my pull-ups are improving (same number of reps, more weight). I still don’t like it. Maybe I’ll add another PU session next week a-la the revised CFWF (or whatever it’s being called now) program that was recently posted. It will go after power cleans, before the MetCon and we’ll see what happens.

Looking forward to daedlifts today.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:35 AM   #13
Will Patterson

Profile:

Friday, 15 OCT 2010

Another 15 in my future.

Deadlift (5X1) – 230 lbs.

This is the one exercise I’m doing that I feel really confident about. The form just clicked with me and I m getting to the point where I am totally psyched for Friday’s workouts (it probably doesn’t hurt that it’s, well, Friday). Based on the fact that every dress shirt I pull off the rack has sleeves that are 2 inches too short, I surmise I have long arms for my frame. I’m sure this is helping the DL when compared to the other lifts, but, whatever, I’ll take it. If I can keep up 15 lb. jumps, I’ll be DLing over 300 by the time my 10 weeks is up.

MetCon

8 minutes of double under practice.
Every Min on the Min – 3 KB C&J per side (1 pood)

I didn’t keep count or anything, I was just getting some practice with my newly arrived Again Faster Revolution rope. This thing is AWESOME! I started stringing DUs together as soon as I started jumping. I know, skill first, then equipment – but this rope has really helped. I was getting some DUs before, but it is 100% easier with the new rope.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
Will Patterson

Profile:

Monday, 18 OCT 2010
Week 6 of my 10 week experiment

Back on track.

Squat (5X3) – 185 lbs.
Press (5X3) – 110 lbs.
Dips – 9,9,12

So squats at 185 seemed to be a little easier than last week’s “overthinking” sets at 180. One more time (so I don’t forget) – just take a deep breath, say “butt back, knees out, stay tight, bounce out of the hole,” and just DO IT! It’s hard to believe that I’m going to hit 200 next week. Love this linear progression stuff.

Presses are indeed getting hard. I got all 15 reps at 110, but 115 might be a bit much next week. Not sure if I should wait until I miss a rep and switch to 2.5 lb. increases, or just cut my losses and go to 2.5 lbs. before I actually miss.

Dips, as usual, were not a problem. 10, 10, 10+ next week!
Old 10-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #15
Jeffrey Cupra

Profile:

Hows the experiment going?
Old 10-20-2010, 06:41 AM   #16
Will Patterson

Profile:

Jeffrey – Thanks for checking out my log. Things are going really well so far – I keep getting stronger, so something must be working!

Tuesday, 19 OCT 2010
Week 6 of my 10 week experiment

Measurable. Observable. Improvement.

Power Clean (3X5) – 125 lbs.

So the 10 lb. jumps for PC seem to be working just fine. I got all my reps without too much trouble. This is one lift in particular that gives me instant feedback about my form. When done correctly, the weight just floats to the rack position. The few reps that were not on target felt like wrestling a baby elephant to my shoulders.

MetCon

As many rounds as possible in 10 minutes:
5 GHD-ish sit ups
6 Double unders
7 KB swings (1 pood)

This is the first MetCon workout I have repeated. Last time was just over a month ago and I got 6 rounds plus the sit ups and a couple DUs (and that was with a 25 lb. KB). This time, I got 9 rounds plus the sit ups and 4 DUs. The new Revolution rope helped, but I’m still not exactly a DU pro. So, 3 more rounds with a heavier KB – looks good to me.