CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
Charlie Michel

Profile:
Barbell for Home

I was looking into getting a barbell and some plates for home. I'm pretty small... I'm 16 and I only weigh 115. I was looking around on Rogue at some of their barbells. My initial thought was to go with a higher-quality, more durable bar, but that of course means more money. For a smaller guy like me who won't be loading up the bar too heavy, which bar would you recommend? I don't want to go too pricey but still want a solid, durable bar. I would be using the bar for Olympic Lifts as well as power lifts.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
Jeremy Galo

Profile:
Re: Barbell for Home

You have to think not at what you're capable of now... but what you'll grow into. You won't be lifting light forever and there's no reason to base your decision off that.

If money's an issue, get something REALLY cheap. You can buy a bar and 300lb of plates on Craigslist for under $100 easily. You can buy a couple of 25lb and 10lb bumpers from Rogue so you can do your Oly lifts and use some smaller plates to add weight as necessary. And you can use mostly iron for powerlifting.

You can always build a really cheap platform using carpet padding (usually free on Craigslist somewhere) so you don't totally destroy your floor.

As you get stronger, you can start buying a better bar and more bumpers. Just my $0.02.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Re: Barbell for Home

That is all great advice above. One of the other things to consider is the fact that Rogue only sells reliable, durable products. Some are nicer than others, but even the inexpensive bars will serve you very well for years. Even if you eventually upgrade to a nicer bar such as a B&R or Rogue bar, the second bar will be great to have around for workouts like Linda or if you want to workout with a friend.