CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
Jeff Mouland

Profile:
Ader Kettle Bell

Hey All,
I recently bought a 1.5 Pood Ader Kettle Bell. The handle seems slippery to me, I am worried that when I do swings during a workout with sweaty hands they might slip out. Anyone have any experience with this and suggestions?
Old 02-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
John Lovins

Profile:
Re: Ader Kettle Bell

Got a couple of them in my basement... work on grip strength or use chalk
Old 02-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
Matt Payne

Profile:

Try and avoid chalk. Keep working that grip strength.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
Gary Ohm

Profile:

I have a pair of #53 dragon door Reds. The paint job on these is not what I prefer. Basically it is a thick epoxy paint, and way too slick. I tried roughing it up with sandpaper and it did not help. I ended up taking a grinder with a flapper wheel to the handles and sanding the pain off the handles. Now I am down to bare metal on these and it is wonderful. I am actually tempted to do this to ALL of my kettlebells.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
Jeff Mouland

Profile:

Awesome I think grib strength may be the issue, I got a great email from Rogue outlining pro'd and cons of different bells as well as knurling. I'll keep you posted on how I make out
Old 03-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
Ahmik Jones

Profile:

The Ader kettlebell handles are smooth, but they are not slippery. With a little chalk there should be no issues. I can understand the feeling that you might lose your grip with sweaty hands during a hard workout, but we have never had anyone drop an Ader kettlebell or any other brand at our gym. The texture of the Aders is nice, because the rougher texture of the cheaper kettlebells we own can really tear up the sides of your pinky fingers when doing kettlbell swings.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
Brent Bergoon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mouland View Post
I got a great email from Rogue outlining pro'd and cons of different bells as well as knurling.
Hey Jeff, any chance of posting the pros and cons from Rogue?
Old 03-02-2010, 06:17 AM   #8
Jeff Mouland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Bergoon View Post
Hey Jeff, any chance of posting the pros and cons from Rogue?
Here it is, and this excellent information is not uncommon for Rogue, I have found them AMAZING to deal with and it took me over a year to finally make a purchase so I have had lots of contact with them

"We used to carry a ton of different kettlebell brands. Then we started using them and realized most of them were garbage for one of the following reasons:

1) Casting seam on the handle - tears your hand up during swings
2) 2 piece cast (so the handle is welded onto the bell) - weak bond between the handle and bell that will crack over time
3) Poor quality paint - chips when banged together or dropped
4) Very rough texture - tears your hands up during swings

We only carry top notch gear in our store and we dumped all the junk brands.

I have 2 sets of old Dragon Door bells, back from when they were still made in the USA. These were the BEST kettlebells available. The Aders are second only to these old DD bells. The new DD bells are made in China and as a result their quality has suffered. I would rank Ader as one of the top kettlebells being manufactured and the best kettlebell that comes from China. There are still a few companies that manufacture kettlebells in the US and they are nice but cost 2x as much as Aders.

You can find kettlebells for $1 per pound. They are junk for any one of the four reasons above. Every single Ader kettlebell is fully removed from it's packaging in Texas and hand inspected for the casting seam - if there is a rough seam then an Ader employee will hand grind it smooth. No other company does this. The kettlebels are then re packaged and shipped out. Other companies get a container full of kettlebells from China and never inspect them before sending them out to the customer.

We have found that the handle textrure is ideal on the Aders and is a mix between a rough texture grip for low rep work and a smooth handle for high rep work. If you use a rough texture hand for high rep work then your hands will rip. As you use the bell more often your grip strength will increase and this will no longer be an issue."
Old 03-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #9
Paul Poterek

Profile:

Fact: You can presently get quality kettles for around $1 a pound. Period.

They are not junk and as a company that offers one I will be happy to put ours up against any bell.

Just to rebut the preceding about "junk" kettles and what makes Ader better I want to let it be known that thet staff here at Troy and I personally do in fact open and inspect kettlebells from our crates when they arrive to our Houston warehouse and the same protocol is followed when they arrive in our New Jersey warehouse. Our inspection team includes members of my respective sales, operations and purchase teams.

This is done for all products that we sell. Our products are dropped, measured, used, abused and documented.

Unlike Ader, Cap, and Apollo to name a few, we have a twenty year history with our manufacturing facilities, have on-site overseas inspection and quality control and the ability to reject loads that are sub-standard therefore we don't need to hand grind the handles because if they come out poor they are subject to return. We also do extensive field research and follow up to ensure each subsequent batch has quality improvements.

Our quality and price make our kettlebell is the best value kettle on the market and I will gladly submit them to field test against Cap, Apollo or Ader and accept the reviews.

While our kettle is certainly a different bell than Ader's it is by no means junk.
In fact, to date with several thousand sold, we have had not one reported instance of one of our kettlebells breaking.

Everyone has the right to spend more to purchase whatever kettle feels best but be sure you are subject to a good deal of biased sales pitches going on here disguised as "unbiased information" and that you can get quality at a reasonable price.

Thanks,
Paul Poterek
Troy Barbell
(713) 957 - 2882 Ext. 207
Old 03-02-2010, 07:52 AM   #10
Gary Ohm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Poterek View Post
Fact: You can presently get quality kettles for around $1 a pound. Period.

They are not junk and as a company that offers one I will be happy to put ours up against any bell.

Just to rebut the preceding about "junk" kettles and what makes Ader better I want to let it be known that thet staff here at Troy and I personally do in fact open and inspect kettlebells from our crates when they arrive to our Houston warehouse and the same protocol is followed when they arrive in our New Jersey warehouse. Our inspection team includes members of my respective sales, operations and purchase teams.

This is done for all products that we sell. Our products are dropped, measured, used, abused and documented.

Unlike Ader, Cap, and Apollo to name a few, we have a twenty year history with our manufacturing facilities, have on-site overseas inspection and quality control and the ability to reject loads that are sub-standard therefore we don't need to hand grind the handles because if they come out poor they are subject to return. We also do extensive field research and follow up to ensure each subsequent batch has quality improvements.

Our quality and price make our kettlebell is the best value kettle on the market and I will gladly submit them to field test against Cap, Apollo or Ader and accept the reviews.

While our kettle is certainly a different bell than Ader's it is by no means junk.
In fact, to date with several thousand sold, we have had not one reported instance of one of our kettlebells breaking.

Everyone has the right to spend more to purchase whatever kettle feels best but be sure you are subject to a good deal of biased sales pitches going on here disguised as "unbiased information" and that you can get quality at a reasonable price.

Thanks,
Paul Poterek
Troy Barbell
(713) 957 - 2882 Ext. 207
My experience with Troy is exactly 1 (one) kettlebell, but mine exactly fits Troy's description. The handle is just fine and there are no seams. I mentioned above that I was temped to sand down all my handles, but I will not be doing that with the Troy. I'm doing one handed swings and cleans with the Troy 80# bell and it feels just fine. It is different form the DD's, but by no means inferior.