CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #81
Graeme Howland

Profile:
Re: Video: Mike Boyle teaches an awkward hang snatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
In gymnastics, we lunge with our feet turned out. As well, my boys have a bad habit of pidgeon footing their lead foot in a lunge while tumbling.

This means, we turn out the feet slightly when I have them do them. Especially, the kids who have such poor flexibility or balance that SLS are beyond them. One of my boys would probably K-Star to go have a beer after checking him out. Ankle, knee, hip...it's a damn farce.

Umm, BSS are usually done with a BB on the back.
Hey Blair, this is off topic, but when you say lunge with feet turned out, do you mean the lead foot has the toes angulating away from the body? I just ask because in weightlifting, the advice I have seen is to jerk with the feet pointing inward slightly (e.g. toward each other), both lead and trailing foot, for "stability". My anatomy knowledge sucks so I'm not sure why it might be different.

Re: Boyle, I can see his point, with pro athletes he is training who are not competing in strength sports, they probably have a very limited off season in which to get in a strength cycle or two. Getting hurt and having to take a week or two off is a disaster. For a generalist there is no reason not to squat if you take the time to do it properly. Also those snatches were disgusting, may as well just do pulls, box jumps and sprinting instead.

Last edited by Graeme Howland : 12-15-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #82
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Feet turn-out like ballet. 30 to 45 degrees like in attention.

I don't remember the foot turn in cue for the jerk, but seeing as I wasn't ever told any cues really, sure. I haven't jerked in so long, that I don't remember what my foot does but I'm sure it turns out as a habit now.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #83
Graeme Howland

Profile:

With the jerk, it's a slight turn in, nowhere near 30/45 degrees and it's a stability thing I guess.