CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 10-26-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:
Wish I had my camera

On Saturday, I was in the area of Puyallup, WA known as South Hill. Recently, a Vision Quest gym opened up along Hwy 161 (about 5 miles south of Rainier Crossfit). Now, that gym seems to cater to pretty much everyone, including those that are interested in functional fitness (not sure if they'll let folks officially do CF WODs there, but I've seen some of the typical things like tire flipping, power ropes, sled drags, and kettlebell work at their gym in Auburn, WA.)

Anyway, along the road I notice something funny nearby the shopping complex they're located at. As I drove further up, I see something that would have been a perfect thing that would have been capitalized on YouTube for the internet generations. Most business owners have been using people to advertise on the streets, holding up signs while dancing around, sometimes wearing an outfit. Seems that Vision Quest was no different...yet still very unique in their own right.

As I continued my approach, I saw a teenager who was standing on a Dollar Tree grocery cart (to get more visibility I'd imagine), doing very rapid barbell curls with a metallic-colored foam barbell that was made to look like it was loaded with 170 lbs of plates plus the bar. The dude even had a fierce face when doing these curls to sell it!

But sadly, I didn't have my camera. Otherwise, that kid would have been made into a YouTube sensation.

I wonder if any CF affiliates would have the moxie to advertise like that? Have someone stand out on a busy street and start doing an AMRAP WOD using foam weights and looking as fierce.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
Renee Lee

Profile:
Re: Wish I had my camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Yoon View Post
I wonder if any CF affiliates would have the moxie to advertise like that? Have someone stand out on a busy street and start doing an AMRAP WOD using foam weights and looking as fierce.
Yes, they do. I know of a box that has done team mile log overhead carries and tire flips on a busy street on more than one occasion

EDIT: oh, you said foam weights...no...they use the real thing