CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-03-2005, 08:40 AM   #1
eric denton

Profile:  
Today, while stretching the left shoulder to address some new and unfamiliar soreness, the upper arm ball seemed to move out of the shoulder socket with a fairly disgusting sound--like using a toilet plunger. Yesterday's WOD had ring dips and in the evening I received some instruction and did a workout with snatches and cleans and jerks. It did not feel good at all afterward with significant pain at the front of the left shoulder radiating down the front of the left arm. I applied ice and took anti-inflamatories. However, this popping out of the socket which is now happening without stretching has me concerned. Does someone know what might be going on? Thanks
Old 08-03-2005, 11:04 AM   #2
Erik Davis

Profile:
Subluxation is the term used. I'm not sure about what specifically causes it.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:21 PM   #3
Rick Burgess

Profile:
I had problems with subluxation in both my shoulders. Mine hurt so bad I couldn't sleep. Every time I moved, the pain would wake me up. The ortho doc explained that I had a relaxed ligament structure in the joints that allowed the ball to slide out of the socket (partially) when my shoulder was in a weak position. Lay off the shoulders for a while and let everything heal. Use that RICE thing: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Then strengthen your rotator cuff -- do a search for rotator cuff exercises. When you do them, use very light weights or a stretch band (Theraband is what I got from the PT, but there are others). Since working on my rotator cuff, I've been pain and subluxation free for the last 10 years.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:16 AM   #4
eric denton

Profile:  
Uh oh, I'm signed up for the gymnastic workshop. This isn't looking good. I went to the doc in a box and, no surprise, they said it wasn't dislocated--gee, I could have told you that. I've got an appointment with an ortho next week. Man, I need to trade my body in for one that's lower maintenace and more durable. I suppose the only reason I keep the one I've got is the amazingly good looks. Any suggestions on shoulder stability/strengthening rehab exercises?