CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-05-2005, 03:52 PM   #1
Rich Krauss

Profile:
I'm 44 and just learning oly lifts. Not sure if this is a common problem but when I try to do OH squats, with my arms fully extended above my head, it is very hard to keep them from going foward. I also lose my balance easily. I find it hard to stay on heels and not lean foward. This is with no weight, just a stick. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Old 11-05-2005, 04:25 PM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Exercises.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:39 PM   #3
Rob McBee

Profile:
Hey Rich,

You are not alone brother. Its just a basic flexibility issue. The best way to get better at it is to keep doing it. Widen out your stance and grip some if needed. Its good you are really extending overhead, keep doing that while trying to pull the bar apart in opposite directions.

I noticed great improvement in my form by doing the CF Warmup consistently. Thats 3x15 of OHS practice 6 times a week and it makes a difference. On my second set I'll do several reps where I pause at the bottom and 'chase the stretch'. At the top I'll do a shoulder dislocate as well.

There is a CF Journal issue on this subject that is a great resource.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:53 PM   #4
Jason Poeth

Profile:  
Rich,

This post is going to sound a lot like the one I just posted on someone elses topic, but I figured that I would post it here too in case you don't read that one.

Sounds like you really just are having problems with shoulder flexibility. The best thing to improve this is patience and a little work. Try just using a broom stick in your warm ups everyday for about three sets of ten where you try to KEEP AN UPRIGHT CHEST (most people learn to squat like a powerlifter with the chest down wich hurts them when they try to perform overhead squats), grip with the bar 4-6 inches over your head, arms locked and elbows pointing down. Also try shrugging your shoulders to your ears and pulling the bar apart to keep everything tight. Each day try to get a little bit deeper before your arms break...most people with flexibility problems can get into an overhead squat within a couple of weeks if they are consistent and patient. It you want to see video of someone doing it right check out www.hatchdome.com and go on the Olympic lifting section (its free and has a ton of great video on it).

Jason Poeth
Assistant Weightlifting Coach
Gayle Hatch Weightlifting Team
www.hatchdome.com
Old 11-06-2005, 06:31 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Excellent advise. Take a broom stick (or pvc) and do a dislocate. That is grab it like you would a O-bar and bring your arms back so the bar touches your lowerback/butt. Now bring it all the way forward. Keep moving your hands in until you can't dislocate. The closest you could get your hands and dislocate, is your OH squat grip width. Keep working this in warmups. Don't use weight in the OH squats until you have the form with a pvc pipe.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:51 AM   #6
Rich Krauss

Profile:
great advice from all; actually am able to do OH squat with bar now, holding grip further out helped; can handstand pushups be far behind?
Old 11-06-2005, 08:07 AM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
If you have hip flexibility issues, the bar WILL pitch forward and you WILL come up on your toes.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:30 PM   #8
Gabe Rinaldi

Profile:
The bar will also come forward if there is tightness in the lats and chest. Coming up on the toes can be a result of the upper body tightness or it is often tightness in the calves. The bottom line....practicing the OH Squat movement with light weight is an excellent way to improve the OHS. Good luck with it!
Gabe
Old 11-07-2005, 06:07 AM   #9
Roger Smith

Profile:
The thing I did, and I don't know if it is the best or right thing, but it worked. I started with a 2x4 under heels for a few weeks, then a 1x2 for a few weeks, then boots with heel for a few weeks. Now I can do it with wrestling shoes. Not yet with arms and legs together, however...
Old 11-07-2005, 05:38 PM   #10
Sean Harrison

Profile:
I'm still using only a broomstick myself.
I treid an empty bar (45lbs) after Monday's WOD (back squats) and almost fell over...my body really didn't want to let me go below parallel.