CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
Mark Pieciak

Profile:
Unhappy Ankle ROM won't improve?

Hey guys!

So it's clear to me that my ankle ROM isn't perfect, as indicated by my squat depth. I can only go ATG if I either externally rotate and abduct my femurs, or slip a wedge under my heels.

Whenever I try to push further, my ankles collapse and evert, and my inner ankle/shin muscles (I think my posterior tibialis) contract and strain heavily to prevent more eversion.

I obviously try ankle ROM drills and stretches, but whenever I do them, my ankle immediately everts. For example, K Starr shows us the one ankle stretch in his earlier MWod videos, where he puts his foot against a pole or wall, and winds up his ankle, with a straight knee and then with a bent knee. This stretch was great initially, but as I gained a little more ROM, my ankle would immediately evert.

How the heck am I supposed to prevent this during exercise when it happens during stretching? Anyone got ideas?

Last edited by Mark Pieciak; 02-19-2013 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
SP

Profile:  
Re: Ankle ROM won't improve?

Sit in a squat with a bar with some weight on across your knees. Loaded stretching is the best thing for improving ROM.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
William Miller

Profile:

I am trying to improve this also in order to be able to get pistols. I can do them if I put my heal on a 15# bumper, but fall backward trying to do them on flat ground. Am I right to be targeting ankle mobility?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Miller View Post
I am trying to improve this also in order to be able to get pistols. I can do them if I put my heal on a 15# bumper, but fall backward trying to do them on flat ground. Am I right to be targeting ankle mobility?
You are correct. If raising the heal solves the problem then it is most likely ankle mobility and/or soleus (lower calf muscle).

I'm in the same boat. Too many years of running and a sever sprained ankle.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
Mark Pieciak

Profile:

Thanks for the replies guys. I tried the weight-stretch, and it still felt like I was collapsing/everting my ankles.

I did try something else though, modifying the knee-to-wall drill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaaU4EZpmE8 <--- this is the drill if you don't know what I'm talking about (WFS)

I simply do the drill, starting close to the wall within my ROM, and going back to increase the end-range. What I do differently is "feel" for the stretch in my soleus and achilles. I try to "sense" the stretch proprioceptively and slow down the drill. I'll even close my eyes for a few seconds. It helps me focus on stretching the calf instead of everting and stretching my medial ankle muscles.

Hopefully it'll continue to work.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwLM5n-rYmA (WFS)

Skip to 2:00 and do those daily. They have worked better for me than anything, plus it will improve your hip and thoracic spine mobility all at once.