CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
Mark Servos

Profile:
Looking to start an affiliate in Ontario Canada

Here's a little history first. I have been training since 92 and have been open to all forms of training. I was lucky enough to be introduced to Crossfit about 3 months ago. I now want to open my own affilate. I have my eye on a few level 1 cert dates and will be signing up for one within the next few days. I have gone as far as finding what we believe is a great location and we are very close to firming up a deal. So with all that I have a few questions.

Attached is the layout of the unit. The space is 2400sq.ft with about 1700sq.ft of actual training space. I like the layout because of the length for things such as tire flips. What do you guys think? Does this location have potential and what would you recommend I do with the area? It is in a very busy downtown area with a ton of parking and easy access.

I have been looking at some equipment distributers Rogue and Garage gym to name a few. Does anyone know if they ship to Ontario Canada and has there been any complications at the boarder? Or does can anyone recommend a equipment supplier in Canada?

Also what is a good package that I should look for to start out as far as equipment is concerned? I want to get everything eventually but as many of you I'm sure you don't want to break the bank right from the get go while at the same time having everything you need to run the necessary WODs.

Thanx in advance for any and all of your advice and input.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unit#49.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	2116  
Old 07-26-2008, 04:31 AM   #2
Peter Simon

Profile:
Re: Looking to start an affiliate in Ontario Canada

Marc,

Good luck with your gym. I am pretty much at the same point as you are in realizing my dream of owning a fitness facility or better yet ditching the 9 to 5 and making a go of it doing something I really love. So take my advice for what it is worth. If you can read "The E-Myth" book on owning your own business, Also create a business plan (figure how many clients/members you need to survive) be patient because any business takes time to catch on, and slowly add equipment to your facility or low price stuff and be sure to be able to justify the high end stuff. Also, don't be afraid to go out and do talks or clinics or boot camps related to crossfit. It may be tough going at first but things will come slowly I believe. I know this from working part time as an on-line triathlon coach with a decent client base. You have to market smart. I am sure you will get a decent education on this from Crossfit when you get certified. Good luck with it all.

Pete Simon
USAT Level 1 Coach
ACSM Wellness/Fitness Coach
Old 07-26-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
Mark Servos

Profile:
Re: Looking to start an affiliate in Ontario Canada

Thanx Peter!! Ya I'll definitely pick up that book today and start reading it ASAP. We've put a plan together and we feel that with the networking we already have in place we can pull it off. Neither of us mind working our asses off to make this successful so that is going to help big time.

I'll keep you posted.
Mark