CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 04-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #1711
Vic McQuaide

Profile:
Master Qual.

Friday- long warm up. Decided to do the thruster rope climb. My left leg was not feeling so hot. A bunch of mobile, floss, hip circle etc to get it back in to place.

Pre workout kicking in... feeling the fuzzies. Time to fly.

4,8,12 thrusters 135#
1,2,3 rope climbs 15'

I felt I blitzed it. Went un broken in the thrusters. I am slow on the rope climbs. My Marine wrap your leg is slow. I was so heavy on the last set. No rep on one of the climbs. Lucky I was not that high on the rope. I believe that it cost me :15 or so. I had a solid A- effort.

Funny this year on the schedule was to learn how to do proper hook feet rope climbs. Did not think that this would come up in the open or the MQ.

Some person is going to break 2:00 in the 45.
Under 2 elite
2-2:30 top 15
2:30 to 2:50 top 40

I am going to do the third workout tomorrow. Taking today off.
#3 workout is a good one for me. Wall balls, dubs, hsw and rowing. Long time 20 min. Good for me.

Will do #4 on Monday.

Doing it just for fun. #2 workout was a death blow. But will do better next year. Just was not ready to do all of those heavy cleans. My c2b was good but the volume killed it.
Owner of Crossfitdarkside.com Fran: 2:36 Diane: 2:30 Jackie 5:43 Mary 15+ rounds Helen 6:58
Old 04-22-2018, 07:14 PM   #1712
Ken J. Brown

Profile:
Re: 2014 45-49 Fittest on the Planet goal

Nice approach with those brutal qualifiers.
Best of luck to to you - following along
Old 04-23-2018, 09:07 AM   #1713
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Thanks Ken. Just for fun this year. I will continue the goat exercises and swallow the humble pie when it is served.
Owner of Crossfitdarkside.com Fran: 2:36 Diane: 2:30 Jackie 5:43 Mary 15+ rounds Helen 6:58
Old 04-23-2018, 09:14 AM   #1714
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Took Saturday off. One and done for this cowboy. Ate about 4 doughnuts just to let this not be too serious. Will get plenty of points on #1 and 2. Feeling good about #3. Doing #4 after lunch.

Good warm up for #3.

Wall balls were ok.
Dubs were on point. Did not miss. Only stopped on scheduled breaks.
HSW were super fast and un broken. Except for the last one I was going so fast I fell over. Kind of like missing a snatch behind you.
Row as slow but that was the plan.

Could have pushed more. Shorter rests. I believe in shape and less breaks 900 could have been on the table. #NBBIS is my favorite. No bar bell in site.

Going to learn how to climb the rope proper this summer.
Tighten up the diet and lose 10#
Continue to work out harder ramping up little by little.
Secure my health by plenty of accessory work.
Listen to my body when it needs a rest.

Good luck Scott. Hope you are killing these.

Last edited by Vic McQuaide; 04-23-2018 at 09:28 AM..
Old 04-23-2018, 03:23 PM   #1715
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Monday- long good warm up. Snatch felt really good. Should have done more hspu. Would re do this workout and went faster. Trusting my fitness and going for it well not so much.

Went out super slow- First round 1 and some change. Second round was a little slower but the snatch was feeling good. Third round was rubbish on the hspu.. 2 no reps and and two off the wall. Sucks rep number 9 was bad. Burpees then 3 good snatches. Had about :60 left for round 4. Thought to myself I can make it thru. Got my 9, then a faster 6. Had time for 2 good completed attempts. Goal was to get 72. Got 71. If I were to re do then I know 80 would have been good.

Talked to Coach Kyle about the 2019 season. Going to train with him 2x's per week. Did 2 sets of 365x4 dl with him. Felt heavy

Overall result and opinion of the 2018 Open/MQ. Glad its done. My diet was a D and my working out was a C+. I feel that I performed well for my situation. 1 and done was good for me and what I was trying to accomplish. Last year at this time my right arm would wake me up in pain a few times a night. Was so weak. Anyway just wanted to see where I was at and do my best. The lead up to the open was 1 month of sickness.

Workout #1- went as hard as possible. I would have moved the bar closer to the rope. No rep on the last set of rope climbs hurt me big time. I could say that a 2:30ish would have been possible. If I learned how to climb besides the leg wrap and had thruster fitness maybe sub 2:20.

Workout #2- was a bruiser. I had to squat clean every one of the reps. Very slow and time under tention.. you know. C2b went fine. If I focused on everyone of the 20 reps I believe that maybe minus a min. Those 3 rep fails hurt me. What I can do better is to get my power clean up to numbers where I could do that type of weight. But I will have to put in the work.

Workout #3. Total wheel house one for me. Just did not go that fast. Left many reps on the table. 900 is possible for me in this shape. Typical Vic 90%. I did close the workout in good standard. Rowing 31 cal in :90. Proud of that. But going slow prior put me in that position. Anyway maybe a top 20 workout.

Workout #4. See above. I know that I have a 80 in my deck of cards..

Won't be going to the games. Did not ever plan for this to happen. I wish to ramp up the training and get stronger and more in shape.

Ways to do this- better diet. Lose 10#
Have training partners
More volume
Higher intensity
Trust God
Get into great shape and trust that fitness
Get stronger

Things I did well-
cheered on people who beat me
for where I am I did well.
Semi enjoyed the open and mq
Did not ***** about any workout
tackled heavy cleans first so it wouldn't do anything to my head

Was ok to be around.

Last edited by Vic McQuaide; 04-23-2018 at 03:46 PM..
Old 04-24-2018, 01:36 AM   #1716
Alex Burden

Profile:

Vic - you did a fenomenal job in the MQ

and you blew past Scott too.

Brilliant result/s for having fun.

Bring on the masters 50-54, 2019
Old 04-24-2018, 10:34 AM   #1717
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Alex,
Thank you very much. I'm sure many scores left to turn in. But don't understand it. You put in scores then you validate them. Simple. But I was just having fun. If I cared I would have redone #1 and #4 and maybe go for 900 on #3. I did however learn alot about myself. Still get a little edgy around the open time and the MQ. Got into it with my lady a few times but she is also going thru a bunch of life also. 1st world problems.

I have to admit that I am an incredible pacer or I simply don't try that hard and don't go 100%. I see people lay on the floor spitting and sputtering. I just don't like to feel that uncomfortable. If its something that I know and I can make like a all out Helen then I can do this. Stepping on the gas and killing a workout has alluded me. If I want to get on that top step I will either need to train that much harder and have little weaknesses or be able to tap into that power to just go 100%.

Back on the horse. I am excited with a bad open (meaning that I was sick 30 days leading up to it) would have been top 5 in 50's.. diet C-, training C+ , MQ not being able to re do workouts would have kept my top 5 in the 50's. Not to take away anything from those beasts.. they really are. This 45+ is stacked and getting harder each year.

I am going to train like I am in the 45's and focus a little more on diet and going 100%. 10# weight loss and better self care.

I really am enjoying working out again. Pain free feels good. I did not realize how banged up I was in those past few years. Takes a step back sometimes to go step up.

On with the next chapter in my quest to be the best.

Cheers
Vic
Old 04-24-2018, 10:38 PM   #1718
Alex Burden

Profile:

Hi Vic,

Yes i agree those 30days messed things up for you... such a shame.

Going 100% is great but not sustainable throughout a WOD as you know. They are never won at that start but at the end.

I think all you need to do is raise your C game as you put it to a B so that even on a bad day you are at the top. Imagine if your 80% was 85%, 87% or 90%, you would never blow out and your results will take you to the top. So even on your worst day feeling half and half you can hit 80%.

I would rather be able to go 80-90% over 5 wods that hitting 100% on the first and blowing out on the rest and collapsing at the end. So many people burn out and die. The rest of your game you have, pacing, thinking and where you want to go you already have, its just your bad days need to be better as you put it.

So now it's time to put a plan together and look forward to 2019
Old 04-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #1719
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Alex,
Yes wish you were closer. You are focused and motivated. Maybe Scott could use your services. Scott is a beast! I look forward to hearing from him. He is a year behind me. But in the 45-49 5 year period. Me 4th, 8th, 21st, DNC, 34th.
Him- 9th, 16th, 30th, 52nd.. we will see next year what he does. I see it as 3 to 1 my favor.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #1720
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Monday forgot to add that I did 50 ghd's in the office. Also did some rowing. Might be 10k behind now. Tonight will go into and row a bunch also Air assault bike. Took yesterday off. Just did not feel like going in. Looks like 34th is the number. My mind says with a good open and some re do's might have made it but I did not. Next year will be competitive.

Yesterday did some glute ham raises and also some ghd's about 25 of them. Ice cream and doughnuts got me like.. 10 lbs to lose.