CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-07-2006, 12:05 PM   #1
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:
ok so i recalculated . I am at 192 lbs, 12% bf which means I am 168lbs lean body mass.
Now my first calculation was at 205 lbs 15% bf = 175 lbs of lean body mass,(2 weeks ago) so whats goin on here im losing lean body mass? I'm on 19 blocks visbly leaner but I am losing muscle mass it feels, and also apparently shows according to my calculations. ( this is all going on .8 multiply for activity level, crossfit once a day as well as warmup.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:45 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
If you're losing weight especially that fast (7 lbs in 2 weeks is a lot!), a large portion of it will be water weight which doesn't factor into BF% calculations. Glycogen depletion from being under maintenance calories concumes a HUGE amount of water, especially in fit individuals because their glycogen stores will be more vast in the muscles because of working out.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
7 lbs in 2 weeks is a lot

He's lost 13 lbs in 2 weeks (205 to 192).

You have to decide which you want to do, lose fat or put on muscle. If you're going to try to do both at once, you're going to frustrate yourself. Sure it happens but it is rare, especially if you're somewhat fit when you start the diet.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
Chris Jodlowski

Profile:
Charlie - please elaborate. I'm interested in hearing more about one vs. the other. I've been at CF for 3 months and I've lost 12lb of fat and gained 4 lb lean mass, according to the calculations I'm doing. I'm 5'10 and I've put an inch on my chest in the past 4 months (including working out before CF). That's just always the way it's been for me. I can pile mass on no problem. Too much, even, for my taste. I'm 34, married, kids, house. . .I really want to get much bigger.

So how to lose more fat and not necessarily pack on muscle? I'm eating 17 blocks/day (3 meals at 5 blocks and two 1-block snacks).
Old 05-09-2006, 05:42 AM   #5
Paul Symes

Profile:
14Ibs does seem to be a big weight loss in 2 weeks Kevin. There are people here who know far more than me but if it were me I would stand fast and see what happens in the next 2 weeks. I would also stop obsessing about BF% and weight though, over the course of 3 months maybe but not 2 weeks. You might be slightly out with your method of measuring your BF%. I think I could lose a few Ibs after going to the loo so it's probably not as bad as you think.

I think one of the best bits of advice I've heard here is along the lines of 'chase performance not appearance and the rest will follow'
Old 05-09-2006, 08:52 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Kevin,
First things first. You need to weigh yourself using the same process each time. Assuming you are properly hydrated and ate well the night before, weigh yourself first thing in the morning, after you have relieved yourself, in your birthday suit, before you have consumed anything. That is to keep things consistent.

Always remember, really obese people have really big muscles. It's just fluff muscle though, not dense, not functional. As they lose bodyfat, they also lose some "lean" body mass. That's OK, their body wants to get rid of it.

You have likely lost water weight and glycogen weight (remember every glycogen molecule stores 2 water molecules with it). You also may have been measuring/weighing yourself in an inconsistent manner, giving inaccurate results. Are you using tape or caliper measurements? Are you always using the same scale?

Main questions--how do you feel and how are your workouts progressing? How are your clothes fitting and how do you look in the mirror in terms of bodyfat?

Remember, you can always return to bodybuilding and their ideals. That's easy. Becoming the functional human "animal" that CrossFit develops takes major shifts in your perception of what the human body should look like and be able to do.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:08 AM   #7
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
I will assume you are weighing yourself under the same conditions (same time of day, empty bladder, same period of time after eating etc).

My weight can fluxuate >10 lbs in 24hrs. It is water, food load in the gut, temporary glycogen load in muscles (hence the water gain). For me this is not real weight gain.

Assuming your weighing conditions are consistent, 13 lbs in two weeks is pretty darned fast.

I have a real issue with fast weight loss, unless it done carefully and temporarily to make weight for competition.

You could up your fat. You could also up your blocks I usually shoot for ~25 blocks ~x3 fat. I am 72" and 185 lbs., for me this is maint. level.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:14 AM   #8
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:
hmmm ,well, i have noticed one thing today ,I used consistant measurements upon waking up after releiving myself and weighing all week, my digital caliper is deceptive! the small button on the caliper arm is very sensitive and when taking a reading goes off immediatly after touching the skin. To me this seems alittle innaccurate because its barely even on the skin so the reading seems alittle larger.
Today I put the arms on the fold until i felt it then clicked the button and sure enough I was at 10% bf as apposed to 12%bf. I started at 15% bf 3 weeks ago and was using the method I mentioned at first with my thumb on the button.
My endurance levels have now made rediculous improvements, I dont think even when I was a kid did I have this kind of recovery and endurance, also flexibilty is improving (yoga). Im still not sure I have alot of conflicting opinons here, Im still thinking I had alot of glycogen stores and water but 15 lbs in 3 weeks? hmm