CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-05-2006, 09:06 PM   #1
Samantha Lewis

Profile:
I know I have been speaking to a few of you in regards to the Zone and getting my block sizes right etc but I realised I haven't asked how long it will take to see results and what kind of results I should be looking for.

I am entering a BodyBlitz 12 week challenge today where you have to have the before and after pictures and I was originally going to do my body building diet as I know it works its just really hard, when I spoke to Fiona (some of you have met) and she said the Zone was the way to go as she has seen the results on some of you guys. I suppose I am a bit hesitant as I haven't used the Zone before and I really really want to win this challenge but I only have 12 weeks to see results. I am also doing an hour of weights in the morning an hour of Cardio in the afternoon and then 90mins of MMA in the evening. Am I going the right way or should I change something? :uhoh:
Old 03-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I doubt that there is a better nutrition program for reducing bodyfat then the zone. That said, if you are exercising 3.5 hours daily you should be able to eat whatever you want and lose bodyfat.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:11 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Samantha, if you are exercising that much you need to increase the fat blocks from the RX I gave you...2-3X. I know this sounds counterintuitive but it will supply you with extra calories for additional workouts and will force your body to burn fat as it's primary fuel. But wouldn't it be great to commit to Crossfit and strict Zone for 12 weeks (with a 20 minute walk at night), and see what happens...I think you will be surprised. Just because your doing a physique contest, doesn't mean you need to train like a bodybuilder...be Fiona's CF experiment, if you win brag about how much more functional you are then the other people, if you lose (unlikely) you still have 3 months of hard CF behind you and you will have made amazing gains.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:29 AM   #4
John Vivian

Profile:
Along with many other CFers, i have personally had some very good results using a combination of Zone and Paleo diets. Use Zone food portions and Paleo-friendly foods and you should be well on your way. Make sure you measure everything out and be strict: no cheating until you reach your goals.

You might also consider replacing your afternoon "cardio" sessions with sprint work or some other high intensity interval training. LSD (long slow distance) work has a tendancy to reduce muscle mass as well as fat, which i suspect is not something you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

john
Old 03-06-2006, 06:02 PM   #5
Samantha Lewis

Profile:
Thanks for your advice everyone!

Larry - Are you sure I'm doing enough exercise to warrant the extra fat, the only exercise I do are those sessions and I am at a desk for 8 hours at work? My body fat percentage is pretty high and I really want to get rid of that as quickly as possible!

I would love to commit to Crossfit completely but I have a shoulder injury at the moment which is preventing me from doing anything that requires rotation through or weight pull down (really sucks when I'm trying to punch someone real hard and it hurts me more then them!). I've had a look through some of the WOD's and I can do Michael and 2 that Fiona has created so I was thinking of maybe rotating through those during the week and maybe those could be my high intensity interval training like John suggested. I have been really good on the Zone so far, don't think I should have a problem not cheating. I know I shouldn't be expecting fast results, but I certainly won't complain if I get them! :happy:
Old 03-06-2006, 11:58 PM   #6
Samantha Lewis

Profile:
Another question for you Larry, if I added the extra fat for fuel would it be a bad thing to cut back on the carb blocks? I see alot of people talking about low carb in these threads and the carbs I'm having in the Zone now are way more then what I am used to having and I am just wondering if it will slow down the fat loss or whether I will be right as long as I keep my exercise up and is cardio once a day enough? I am still having trouble getting out of the body building mentality.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:58 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Don't tinker with carbs. Carbs are not really the enemy...simple, processed, carbs and carbs over 40% in your diet are the enemy. By shifting to good fats, you are almost doing the same thing as lowering carbs...run the numbers for %ages for 2X fat and you will see the difference. I would only suggest the fat uppage if you insisted on doing long sessions of steady state cardio. There are a ton of modifications Fiona could show you to get you through the WODs without one shoulder...when I was at the seminar I had a fairly bad right shoulder injury (I'm at about 2 months now and it is still recovering, at about 85%), so I feel your pain. Work functional exercises for rehab. Make sure you get up and walk for 10 minutes, every hour your sitting at your desk. Fiona will be a wealth of information.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:54 AM   #8
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Sam, i would love to take credit for the workouts you are talking about but i didn't make them up one was an old WOD and the other was one i modified due to lack of equipment,it should have had pullups rather than pushups.
Shoulders I can modify for no problem , remember the little incident last year with my shoulder,a floor, and extra 85kg body forcing them to meet rapidly???? a the loud crunch, bones moving where they shouldn't have followed by much, much pain.And lots of rehab (functional crossfit style)
First tip give up the pec deck, i know you are still doing them :Z
Back to nutrition - Keep up the Zone, trust me it works, and is way healthier than that bodybuilding pre-comp diet you had before and easier to stick to.Once you make it throughthe first few weeks of relearning and adjustment
For someone your size and body fat you should expect to lose about 1-3 kg in the first week on the zone, if you dont cheat and 0.75-1.5kg each week after.After 12 weeks that should workout at at least 10-12kg over the 3 months.

Fiona
Old 03-07-2006, 05:25 PM   #9
Samantha Lewis

Profile:
OK Miss Fi!:crazy: You win, pec deck gone but can I keep my adductor (I feel like I have been sprung doing something naughty)? Yeah I remember it, it was a Steve, Fi & mat sandwich and 15 rounds of one armed sparring!That poor mat having the two of you come hurtling at it! And I will listen to you with the shoulder stuff, at least I can still wrestle until someone gets me in a shoulder lock or an arm bar, it just means I'm no longer the resident bendy girl in class anymore.

Larry - Promise no carb tinkering, I just have to learn some patience, slow and steady wins the weight race. I should have a daily mantra "good carbs are not bad"!

Well I will show you all the end results of your advice WHEN I win, and if I don't win at least I should be in good form for my black belt grading!
Old 03-07-2006, 11:20 PM   #10
Samantha Lewis

Profile:
I do have another question actually. I was told I am Hypoglycaemic and certainly suffer with bad symptoms when I don't eat within a certain time frame. I have noticed that since I started the Zone I am crashing earlier then I normally would. Last night just after training it had only been 2 hours since I ate and I was starting to crash and today I have timed my lunch and my snack (divided into 1 block) so that I am eating every 2 hours but I am still crashing, like right now it has only been just over an hour since I ate and I already have the headache, shakes, the fatigue and lack of concentration, I'm just waiting for the nausea to start now.
Will these extra fat blocks make it go away or is it a normal part of adapting to the Zone?