CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-18-2004, 12:39 PM   #1
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
Hello all,

first time poster, long time fan, never done a WOD. 27yrs old 190lbs (former martial artists and rec sports guy) I know that I need to work my way up to the X-fit way. Right now I am doing more bodyweight routines (www.trainforstrength.com). Then I plan to do Core Perfomance (intro to weights). It seems to be a more complete program. Then I like to work my way into full WODs. In order to do that here's what I know:

Keep the WODs to about 45 min.
Start with the movements and build up the intensity.

Here's the question: How do you build intensity? Load or reps? That is, should I pick a load that I can do for reps and slowly add the load or should I maximize the load (to RXed) and slowly add reps?

I have seen versions of this questions but no definitive answer. I apologize if this topic has been settled. If so, is it possible to direct me to the thread.
Also, is there a reason why there are no prescribed rest times?

Of course, a perfectly acceptable answer to all my questions is: Buy the back issues. In lieu of or in the meantime, please help.

Thanks a lot. I really am excited to become Crossfit fit.

Stan
Old 10-18-2004, 12:41 PM   #2
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
Oh yeah, I'm 5'9"
Old 10-18-2004, 12:53 PM   #3
Graham Hayes

Profile:
How you build the intensity is up to you, I chose the RXed weights with lower reps based on me being unable to change my bodyweight for bodyweight excersises. Others did different, but it's all good.

There are no prescribed rest times because the idea is you figure it out for yourself. As a begginer you might like to take longish rests, eventually your recovery will build to the point where 5-10 seconds is sufficient

It's up to you, but you can start Crossfit right away. You don't need to build up to it with other programs. If grandma's can do Crossfit then I'm certain you can too!
Old 10-18-2004, 01:41 PM   #4
Beth Moscov

Profile:
HI,

As one of the keys of crossfit is variance, why not vary how you make the intensity work for you? You could at times go for a light enough load to do the required reps and at other times do the required load for less reps.

Also, as for getting started, I woulud just start doing crossfit instead of train to prepare for crossfit. Or maybe I misunderstood what you meant.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:11 PM   #5
Michael Pearce

Profile:
For me, I basically did what I could until I could do the WOD. In fact I am still at the stage with some of the WODs.

I have found no problems with intensity, some of the WODs will be easier than others but after you have done a few you will see that there is no need to try to add intensity. These things will kick your butt have no fear.

I always try to keep them under 45 min. if it looks like it is going too long I will look at how long I am resting and how much weight I am using. If it is body weight such as pullups then I will either cut out some or cut out the rest. For weights I will cut the weight and try to really focus on form. As for load, I try to do as much as I can with good form. If it is too heavy then I have found my form suffers, so I will cut the load.

Once my form is good I will go as strong as I can and once I am smoked I will start to lower the weight so that I can finish the WOD.

So my answer to your question would be do max load with good form and full reps. Once you are burned out lower weight and continue with full reps.