CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-07-2007, 08:31 AM   #1
Daniel Miller

Profile:
I've been using this old gym in the basement at work and went down to do 5x5 deadlifts today. I noticed 100lb dumbells(200lb total) and did my workout with those instead of 190lb on the bar.

They felt easier and I'm just curious to know why?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
Jason Billows

Profile:
Perhaps the weight traveled in a different plane beside your legs as opposed to being in front of you legs. With a bar you have no option other than to keep it in front.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:25 AM   #3
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
It’s hard to know without actually seeing your lifts, but Jason’s thought is a good one (assuming you were starting the pull with the DBs from full depth & that it wasn't just easier b/c the ROM was shorter). The difference is likely an indication that there is room for improvement in your barbell DL technique.

Can't diagnose it without more info and/or visuals, but it could be any (or all) of the following:

a) You're not keeping the bar close enough to your body. If there's more than a couple millimeters of space btwn the bar & your legs, it's not close enough; the bar needs to be right over your feet the whole time.

b) You're letting the weight (or the position of your knees) pull you forward onto the balls of your feet a bit and not getting maximal glute & ham activation.

c) You're trying to lift starting with your butt too low and your shoulders blades behind (rather than directly over) the bar. (The front of your shoulders will actually be slightly in front of the bar in a strong setup position.)

A & b are basically versions of what Jason suggested, and, with no other info to go on, are, imo, the most likely reasons for difference you're feeling.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
Daniel Miller

Profile:
Thanks.

I think it might be a bit of a and c together. b might then happen as a result of those two together.

I was picking the dumbells up right off the floor so was actually getting down a few inches lower than I would for the bar, so when they came up so easily I was surprised. In a way, dumbells turned the movement into a trap bar dead lift instead of barbell.

I think I'll get some pointers on the barbell next time I see the local deadlift guru. (John S)
Old 03-08-2007, 04:35 PM   #5
John Seiler

Profile:
Dan,

I wonder if your posterior chain isn't a little under-developed in comparison to quads. Give me a shout and I'll have you over. In fact, I'll be doing deads tomorrow.