CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:
motivational bonuses

So when I started working out summer of last year, it was always really helpful to give myself a sort of finish line goal. Complete P90X, and you can buy yourself that Ultimate Sack(surprisingly WFS!) you've always wanted! Complete Insanity and you can drink again! (went alcohol free for two months during Insanity)

I'm coming up on two months of fairly solid/consistent Crossfit work and starting to wonder if there is a carrot I could dangle for myself. I have a fairly large Amazon wish list, but other than the few workout items, I don't know what would be an appropriate goal thing.

I know CrossFit is a lifestyle, and I intend on keeping it that way, but it would be nice to reward/treat myself with something every 6 months or so.

What did you do for your CrossFit anniversary!?

Last edited by Nicholas Wheeler : 01-20-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: motivational bonuses

If you plan on training at home ever, I'd consider equipment purchases a great reward. Not a result of training, but once I got a new job as a "reward" I invested in a GHD.

I'd suggest creating rewards that enrich the process of training.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
If you plan on training at home ever, I'd consider equipment purchases a great reward. Not a result of training, but once I got a new job as a "reward" I invested in a GHD.

I'd suggest creating rewards that enrich the process of training.
How about "complete a comprehensive strength and conditioning program and you won't suck at life anymore!"? It works for me.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

I do quite like the idea of doing that. But until we move into a larger place, room is at an utmost premium. As in we have none... hrm... maybe I could build something in my 10x10 backyard though (runs to look @ shed prices)
Old 01-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Sorry, I think this is probably going to come across harsh, I don't mean it that way sometimes I'm just boggled by the way other's thought process works.
Train to reach goals, reward yourself when you hit a goal whether it be a benchmark wod PR or a new lift weight. You didn't earn a reward just for "showing up". What is the rational even to get there, "Woo, I didn't fail to live up to my commitments for 2 whole months, let's celebrate!"
Old 01-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Sorry, I think this is probably going to come across harsh, I don't mean it that way sometimes I'm just boggled by the way other's thought process works.
Train to reach goals, reward yourself when you hit a goal whether it be a benchmark wod PR or a new lift weight. You didn't earn a reward just for "showing up". What is the rational even to get there, "Woo, I didn't fail to live up to my commitments for 2 whole months, let's celebrate!"
I agree with you completely. I think what I was shooting for was what do you make the rewards. I obviously will have to change the system I had been using, and I have some goals I would like to reach (20 strict pullups in one set has been my biggest one for awhile, and I've gotten damn close!), but what rewards do you guys reccomend for reaching those goals.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
What did you do for your CrossFit anniversary!?
If you work hard, the reward is hitting your performance goals.
For my 50th birthday I hit a pr 200 pound overhead squat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWxrpXK7U3I
That was better than anything that could be wrapped up in a box.
Link is work/family safe
Old 01-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Yeah, for me, achieving the goal is the reward.

That whole not sucking at life/squats/jerks, etc. is good. Winning is good.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

I guess it fits well with my personality because I NEVER buy myself anything. Pretty much ever. I'm extremely frugal and buy only the necessities, like groceries/etc. Even stuff I need I debate about forever until I find the perfect price/opportunity. I went without a TV for almost 6 months until I found the price I wanted. So I guess I have to give myself an excuse to spend. It's weird/backwards, but it's kept me debt-free for years.

However, throughout thinking about it over the course of the day I've decided once I hit the 20 strict pull-ups goal, I'm getting a road bike. My box is a mere 2.5 miles from my house, time doesn't permit in the morning to run there daily, but I don't really want to drive, so a average bike will fill that gap perfectly. Maybe after that when I start working towards my next goal I finally get the friggin surround sound I've been wanting for well over a year.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
Jason Wallis

Profile:

I like the idea of rewarding yourself occasionally. I tend to look at spending in the same way you do, and it's difficult to bring myself to buy things for myself. Although meeting the goal is the ultimate reward, there's nothing wrong with looking down at your new vibrams and remembering all the hard work you put in to reach the goal for which you rewarded yourself.