CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
Damon Stewart

Profile:
Re: Denmark going down the slippery slope

It's very difficult for a globo-gym to compete with what a good Affiliate does, our business models are diametrically opposed.

We provide a quality coaching & training experience as well as building a sense of community and connecting with our members. Most big gyms look at Crossfit as another class, like cardio kickboxing or aerobics. They're not set up to build community. If they do deliver high quality coaching chances are those great coaches will leave and start a box when they realize what an uphill battle they have to fight with management to do Crossfit right.

The more awareness they bring to your market about Crossfit the more opportunity there will be for you to deliver excellence and make a good living doing so.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #12
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

Damon is spot on, so I'll only add that long-term, affiliates can only be successful if they provide excellent training/coaching and produce results. They will not be able to rely on the CrossFit name to bring in clients, because there will either be globos offering CF classes or an abundance of traditional affiliates from which to choose. Some will be cheaper. Ultimately, people are not paying, say, $150/month simply to say that they workout at a CF affiliate, but they will pay that same amount to say that they have efficiently gotten into the best shape of their lives and met a few good people along the way.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:54 AM   #13
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Agree that the CF affiliate even when housed next to these new Crosstraining globos will have no problem distinguishing itself.

You hit the nail on the head Peter, it is about much more than just the product... loyal, repeat business is about the experience. A $38 membership where you don't get to know anyone is a vastly different experience than a $150 membership where you develop friendships and do things outside the gym together...There are many more aspects to the experience differences that favor a smaller affiliate.

Same reason when I look back at college it is clear why the easy college courses had 250 students, but the one or two I remember most are the ones where I had a small study group or class with people I struggled with.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:28 AM   #14
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Stewart View Post
Wrong.

Unless you're referring to all that marketing that HQ did by posting WODs...their advertising budget must be huge.

I'll stand by my statement. We were doing workouts in Football and basketball way back then that people here would have zero problem calling them a "Crossfit" workout. Guess our teachers in junior high and high school were ahead of the curve.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:55 AM   #15
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
You hit the nail on the head Peter, it is about much more than just the product... loyal, repeat business is about the experience. A $38 membership where you don't get to know anyone is a vastly different experience than a $150 membership where you develop friendships and do things outside the gym together...There are many more aspects to the experience differences that favor a smaller affiliate.
While I do agree, and part of the reason I pay more is because not only do I get personal attention, but I get to know the people suffering with me which in turn makes me work that much harder, I just think the way you phrased this makes it sound like a frat: paying for friends. Just noting an irony, making a joke, pointing out something that made me laugh, no one get offended...
Old 09-14-2010, 07:13 AM   #16
Timothy Gilday

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Tluczek View Post
While I do agree, and part of the reason I pay more is because not only do I get personal attention, but I get to know the people suffering with me which in turn makes me work that much harder, I just think the way you phrased this makes it sound like a frat: paying for friends. Just noting an irony, making a joke, pointing out something that made me laugh, no one get offended...
13 years after college many of my fraternity brothers are the best people that I know and still some of my closest friends. Never let a catch phrase keep you from having the best experiences and life you can.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #17
Ewen Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Tluczek View Post
While I do agree, and part of the reason I pay more is because not only do I get personal attention, but I get to know the people suffering with me which in turn makes me work that much harder, I just think the way you phrased this makes it sound like a frat: paying for friends.
That may be an extreme way of putting it, yes, but "community" is definitely a major selling point for CF gyms. In that sense, they're more like clubs (running club, tennis club...) than regular gym chains.

Another way of looking at CF/globo pricing (completely different context and thread http://www.board.crossfit.com/showpo...3&postcount=28 wfs, just pointing out a wee bit of irony like Allen):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
How much are you paying for the opportunity to meet this guy? The larger the amount, the more likely you are to believe that it was worthwhile, regardless of the actual content of the meeting.

Katherine
Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #18
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

I don't think it's irony. Humans tend to work in specific ways, which is why "marketing" is something you can study in higher education.

All of those things are related in some form or another in their experience (frats, that quote from Katherine) to the CF experience...

Just because a "cult" is a derrogatory term doesn't mean that many of the same attributes are not present in any tight knit community. No matter the actual purpose or stated goal of that community. Heck there is even a cult-like anti-CF community, that pretty much will say CF is a cult, when really their community exhibits the same sort of following...it's funny and completely human.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #19
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

It just struck me as funny when I presented it to myself: I asked myself why I am paying more money to work out where I do, and when one of the answers was because I make friends there, I had to stop and laugh.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:58 PM   #20
Kris Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. Burch View Post
Do you REALLY believe that a globo gym, even if teaching the identical same material, could replicate what your CF box produces?

If so, you've lost already.
Those are words of gold, John.